Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Scrolling through the reviews, yeah, a lot of them are about Paradox existing.

As for multiplayer, we just use RemotePlayWhatever :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Zurai posted:

It absolutely was. In addition to the Paradox complaints, there were also lots of people bitching about there not being any multiplayer.

To clarify this, the game did launch with (admittedly poor) internet multiplayer, it was just confusingly worded. It launched with two options under Multiplayer on the startup screen, one saying "Hotseat" and the other "Simultaneous Multiplayer (Coming Soon)", which convinced some people that at launch you could only do multiplayer taking turns on the same computer, even though hotseat was still internet based, it just meant you had to wait for your opponent to take their turn before you did. So some people (incorrectly) review bombed it incorrectly for not having multiplayer at all, and others negatively reviewed it (not unfairly) for having the multiplayer implementation of a late 90s game.

Also, yeah, there's a lot of anger at Paradox right now and that spilled over onto Millenia for being a Paradox published (but not developed) game. Millennia isn't perfect, but I think it deserves better reviews than it got.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Holy poo poo what a dumb way to describe turn-based online multiplayer lol. Technically correct but wow.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

What are some decent 4x games with actual campaigns? My journey through the C&C series reminded me I like clicking little men, which led me back to an old love of 4x and city-builder games. I've been playing Master of Magic again (CoM for Windows naturally) and it rules, but I'd like some chunky single-player content that isn't just straight skirmishes. Setting doesn't really matter but I prefer fantasy slightly. I'll eventually get brave enough to venture into Dominions multi-player.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I really enjoyed the campaign in Age of Wonders 2. It takes you through all magic colours and multiple races, with 2 missions + 1 optional for each magic, and you get to accumulate perks as the campaign goes.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

TheHoosier posted:

What are some decent 4x games with actual campaigns? My journey through the C&C series reminded me I like clicking little men, which led me back to an old love of 4x and city-builder games. I've been playing Master of Magic again (CoM for Windows naturally) and it rules, but I'd like some chunky single-player content that isn't just straight skirmishes. Setting doesn't really matter but I prefer fantasy slightly. I'll eventually get brave enough to venture into Dominions multi-player.

AoW4 is very good and has a campaign that I enjoyed, but it's pretty short. Dunno if the DLC has added to the campaign.

I should check it out. I really loved that game on release.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

Spellforce: Conquest of Io? Eo?

anyhow its 10x better than any age of wonders game if you're playing solo

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Rad, thanks for the suggestions, ill take more if anyone has more. My gaming time has largely become inconsistent dad-gaming, so being able to commit to lengthy multiplayer sessions is rare. So if asking for good singleplayer in a genre mostly meant for multiplayer seems strange, believe me I know.

As i said I hope to hop into a Dom6 newbie game sometime soon, but we'll see.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I forget if Eador: Genesis' campaign is anything to write home about, but it does seem to vaguely fit the description.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Jossar posted:

I forget if Eador: Genesis' campaign is anything to write home about, but it does seem to vaguely fit the description.

The campaign is long as hell, but it gets broken up into manageable chunks. Each shard is like short to medium campaign in another game. But you have to really like the tactical combat, you will be doing it a bunch. Fortunately its good, low numbers mean terrain modifiers remain important for as long as I played.

The sequel/remake has a major improvement where winning a shard also gets you the stuff from earlier shards. On the other hand its like a mod of the original game, jammed with stuff until the game is a little unstable.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

TheHoosier posted:

Old World has a few. The stock one (Carthage) is kind of a glorified tutorials, but the DLC ones (Greece and Egypt) have been increasingly better.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Eador:Genesis is amazing, and one of my favorite games ever, especially with the "New Horizons" mod, but I would really not suggest it to someone who is short on time. I've won multiplayer games of Dominions 5 in less time than it took me to complete a single max size skirmish game in Eador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Endless Legend is not really a campaign, but there is decent mission tree for each faction.