Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Willfrey posted:

just to expand, crosspost from their steam forum.

I’m Elliot, the developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Psycho Landlord posted:

Wait the Elliot post was real? Lmfao I just thought it was someone making a crack about the delivery of that statement

E: Also your game looks good in the visual way good job

It was indeed a joke, apologies for the confusion!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey, something I'm actually knowledgeable about! Machine learning is very very good at the sort of complexity you're describing, and no you don't need a human opponent or an existing AI to train them. 4x games would be a remarkably easy problem for adversarial networks to solve in fairly robust ways with modern design approaches.

I’m surprised to see that nobody seems to have done anything with a 4X after AlphaStar solved SC2. I wonder why that hasn’t happened.

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, good luck getting someone who knows anything meaningful about machine learning to work at a game company at all in the current environment, hah.

They’re already there, working on reward-cycle optimizations for IAPs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't run into a single issue in AoW4 so far in 3 hours. It's really good.

If I have to refund because it sucks, I’m coming after you with a really snarky post!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seems like the multiplayer issues are apparently just the standard “we didn’t plan for launch week” scaling stuff that really has no place in a modern cloud world but gaming is always 5-15 years behind modern software practices, so c’est la vie.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stellaris Nexus uses “Stellaris” because it’s the bigger brand than “Nexus” or something else newly minted. Star Trek Infinite or whatever uses “Star Trek” because it’s the bigger brand than “Stellaris”, but also probably because zero point nothing of the Stellaris lore will be present.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s long past time for games to integrate a crash reporter or at least minidumper.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah you’d need people to upload the memory dump and save somewhere

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that’s too bad, I bought it for my Star-Trek-game wife

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IceMole posted:

Apparently I have it bookmarked. The images appear to be there still. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2705713

Reading just the OP it seems like it’s referencing a bunch of screenshot images that aren’t there, alas.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lum_ posted:

in the game's defense, it's literally too complicated for a game AI to play coherently. It's too complicated for most *humans* to play coherently.

That’s what we said about go!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why can’t I remote-install a demo? Dammit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Telsa Cola posted:

Mods new thread title please

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jabor posted:

it's from an era where nearly every game had some tedious bad gameplay somewhere in it

This week?!?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

just to settle it, a ship/unit designer is absolutely not inherent to a 4x, don’t believe the lies

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

don’t gaslight me you little punk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you everyone! Really excited to dive in, seems like the space 4X ive always dreamed of.

Anyone play it on a Steam Deck? I'm assuming its pretty bad on there but just wanted to check bc some games I thought would be unplayable are surprisingly good

It sounds like you need to do some fiddling in desktop mode, but people have it working relatively well:

https://www.protondb.com/app/1531540?device=steamDeck