Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'm not sure that I like that ages are determined by the research leader. The AI just goes for the vanilla ages (or gas difficulty meeting the prereqs) so enh.

It needs to be more complicated than that, or involve bidding, or something.

Ya, the ages and tech tree is actually why I'm not interested in it. It makes the game pace weirdly aggressive and seems like starting positions + starting bonus picks can cause massively imbalanced starts vs others that spiral out of control quickly. There are a lot of things I like (the improvement system, the towns, barbs being actually loving dangerous if you're not paying attention), but a lot of pieces that feel janky or maybe just not my speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Lowen posted:

It's an early demo, it could get a lot of jank correction and balance changes.

And it could not. Why post this? I gave my opinion over the demo, of course it could change, and if it does, I may update my position if it moves in a direction I like.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

How is AoW: Planetfall if I liked 4? I enjoyed 4's asymmetry and the highly variable builds and strategies that are possible, but I find the endgame a bit tiring since the optimal strategy often involves snowballing doomstacks mopping up one-sided fights for experience.

I prefer Planetfall for the very particular reason that AoW heroes, magic, and light RPG mechanics break my brain and cause me to hyper focus on my band of heroes instead of the cold calculating doom stacking you need to be doing. The scifi setting just works better for my brain in this way. Same thing with ES vs EL. I can just never win at higher difficulty because I end up wanting to play the games as RPGs instead of 4x.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

stellaris is the worst ship designer though, because it's all of the usual problems but also the connection between design choices and outcomes is obscured by the typical paradox pseudo-simulationist bullshit

I thought it was just there to decide what pretty lights come from your pretty ships when you're crushing every fleet you run into because you've snapped the game economy over your back by turn 50 or so, and are just going "brrr" through tech superiority vs dealing with their obtuse system?

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

SIGSEGV posted:

I think it's some sort of self replicating psychic magical nanomachines but making those replicate harder would need a facility dedicated to it.

Anyway, no sucking in air through teeth like TWS2 did.

This is more correct-ish, although its also correct that it is definitely on the vague side, and is magical by dint of "any sufficiently advanced tech". They are self-replicating and self-repairing nanomachines/elements that can network and act in concordance at scale. The universe is covered in it from the time of the Endless before they wiped each other out, and the scaling of it via tech and extraction is supposed to represent both being able to find/extract more of it from the places it has accreted since the end of the Endless, the ability to actually interact with and manage it, and things that actually utilize it at a fundamental level to their functioning (which is where heroes and fleet costs come in on it). Lorewise, the Endless used Dust so much that their structures were often directly made out of it, or at least had it interwoven to a deep level. It is, however, quite weird that a lot of the collection of it does come from the "finance" side, which in game I suspect is supposed to be part of its representation as a universal currency. Much meta, such value, yada yada.

If the above doesn't really make sense, that's because it doesn't, but whatever, cool universe, hope game 3 is a cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Megazver posted:

There is a demo available for ZEPHON, a new game from the devs of WH40K Gladius. Looks pretty Gladius-y from what I've seen of it, but uses their own IP.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1481170/ZEPHON/

Nifty demo, not quite sure its for me, but I do like a lot of what is there. Do note the AI diplomacy is in a...state, and does some pretty weird stuff. Lot to be ironed out here, but if you liked Gladius, you'll like this. Very aggressive 4x that is far more focused on eXplore and eXterminate rather than the other Xs.