Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm not sure if there's an EU4 thread anymore so I'll start here: I got the strong urge to play again, but it looks like the last DLC I got is The Cossacks. Are there any additional DLC's that would be good to get, pretty much everything but rights of man is at best mixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

cranky corvid posted:

You can find the game's dedicated thread here, it's been active pretty recently. The thread's first post includes some advice on what DLC is important (but I'm not up-to-date on that personally).

Thank you! I spend so much time out of my bookmarks I forget how to find things :v:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I generally dont like games where the AI doesnt at least pretend to play by the same rules (unless that's the point, like ai wars) . Just gives me a big "why am I even playing this" feel and I usually check out pretty quickly, especially when its stuff like the AI getting infinite supplies or things like that, that end up making certain avenues of attack pointless

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 30, 2022

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

So a well designed game would base things around the granularity accessible by the player. If the lowest level a player interacts with enemy territory is on a province level, then what makes up that province can be abstracted. The player provinces can be fun little minigames where building placement and stacking bonuses can lead to huge advances, while the AI provinces can be simply labelled "mining province" or "research province" with stacking bonuses based on progression. Denying these provinces will have the same disruptive effect without requiring the AI to actually be playing the player-facing little minigame.

Yeah I've often thought of this as a solution, but it gets weird when the player then takes the province and the wave function has to collapse into something the player can work with. Also I feel like I remember reading some developer somewhere saying that crunching numbers is what AI does naturally well anyways so abstracting those out doesn't always help

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

How long until we can just use machine learning to develop AI for every game?

Probably a long time: it takes special programming or whatever to even make it possible and its apparently super expensive

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I really do love the idea of starting as one kind of thing and then getting more complex and transitioning to another kind of thing as the game continues, I like it when you struggle and plan to accomplish things and then theres a breakthrough or a new tech and things become much easier and the whole paradigm shifts. And all the faction stuff is also really interesting especially the ones that have broadly similar goals

I just have no idea how it's going to pan out, and I also cant really tell if I'm doing well either. I will say though this demo has me stoked which is pretty unusual

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

THE BAR posted:

I just don't get why you would join the two surrender factions. I got a feeling that the aliens, in a twist at the end, are the good guys and the game'll wag its finger at you for picking one of the alien murder factions.

I wonder if the aliens get some random rolls on their true nature at the start of each game, or if, as you come to communicate with them you can research techs and take actions that change the nature of your interactions with them? At the very least, the protectorate faction you'd think would need to prove that humanity is worth that status

And this is where I think I'm probably liking the possibility of what the game will be in my head vs what will actually come to pass but what I'm seeing so far is really capturing my imagination at least. Like you could turn the concept into a very neat semi-coop board game, (ship battles aside )

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You (the royal you) could also consider playing the Pegasus Expedition demo, its sort of a narrative 4x? Like Imperium Galactica 2 possibly ( I have never played its just been described to me so don't yell if I'm way off)

The demo starts off late-early game and the enemy is designed to be straightforwardly weaker than you, so I'm not sure how things will shake out in the real thing as the economy is already solid and my military keeps winning. The combat system is interesting, may be too hands-off for some

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Random question, back when strategy guides were a thing, does anyone remember any particularly good ones? I kinda collect them; for example the Imperialism 2 one is great

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Thanks for all the recs! Yeah there was a window of time where games were complicated enough to need guides and the internet hadn't cannibalized the space yet, which led to this little flash in the pan microcosm of... inspired? guide writing? Not sure if that's the right word. But my go-to example is the maniac who wrote the X-Wing guide alongside the more standard stuff wove in a narrative walkthrough of the missions so there's this little novella packed in. The Warcraft 2 guide was similar, in that it was written like the journal of an in-universe character

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I always liked sword of the stars take; maybe it was too simple but once a planet was growthed out it was 'done' and you didn't need to fiddle with it anymore unless you decided to overharvest

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

God sword of the stars 2 sucks, the mission and fleet system is just idiotic, more fiddly effort for less effect. (Maybe in a different game they could work?) The politics system, whatever is going on with diplomacy, not to mention the game slowing to a crawl if you dont rush everyone down. And the UI ! Sots1 also had a bad UI but it got away with it by being lean and mean, at least until they added trade which in retrospect was a big warning sign for 2

It stinks too, since you've got a really solid combat simulation bolted on to just a miserable time

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

New master of magic felt real bad to play for me, the movement and combat of the units was really mushy like AoW3 instead of snappy like aow1/2. That's not a major concern for a TBS but it bugged the crap out of me

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm confused since Spellforce 3 was a traditional spellforce game, and as far as I'm aware this is the first spin-off?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Archonex posted:

Spellforce 3 definitely wasn't originally a traditional Spellforce game in some ways. A lot of people bought Spellforce for free play SP and free play MP and treated the non FP campaign as an addon. Free play has really been the mainstay of the series since Spellforce 1. Spellforce 3 is the one that broke with the game series to become a more traditional RTS type game in that regard.

The updated reforced edition looks like it finally added something like it in (it's called Journey) but I haven't heard much about it to date other than some people saying it's stripped down and doesn't have certain features like specialization skills and proper crafting/itemization unique to all races. :shrug:

Huh, the mode I never touched was the most popular mode for some people, wild

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Well if you HAVE the super-ai that plays the game perfectly you can then tune it down to something that the average player would want, and then adjust it further for different personalities and playstyles and so on. There's a ton of these in chess, from emulating different grandmasters to "Billy age 12 loves knights and frequently opens attacks with them, although by that same token he often overvalues them in trades"

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I’m surprised to see that nobody seems to have done anything with a 4X after AlphaStar solved SC2. I wonder why that hasn’t happened.

It's expensive as gently caress and alphastar could only do 1v1s and crumbled under harassment (at the time; I can't find anything about it since then)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Perhaps the reason no 4x is good is the 4x fanbase is all idiosyncratic unpleasable cranks chasing after the nostalgic highs of their childhood, laced with the mad possibility of what that child thought the games of the now-present would be like. I will not be turning on my monitor

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The causus belli stuff was pretty cool in planetfall. Being able to trade "I know I ticked you off" points for poo poo actually felt more natural than a less gamified system would

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Its pretty easy to tell a strong army in planetfall, they have big nasty looking units and you can also click them to see the tier if you're not sure

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

As an example:

What is a solid strategy for mission 3 of Myth 2 Soulblighter posted:

Mission 3 of Myth 2: Soulblighter is called "The Watcher". In this mission, you must defend a dwarven stronghold against waves of enemies that will attack from multiple directions. Here are some tips for developing a solid strategy:

Build up your defenses: As soon as the mission starts, begin building up your defenses by placing your archers and warriors in strategic locations around the stronghold. Use the walls and other structures to funnel the enemy into chokepoints where your units can easily take them out.

Use your resources wisely: You'll have limited resources in this mission, so it's important to use them wisely. Prioritize building defensive structures like walls, towers, and gates to protect your units. Consider placing explosive barrels near chokepoints to deal massive damage to large groups of enemies.

Use your hero unit: You'll have a hero unit in this mission, a powerful dwarf named Alric. Use him to help defend the stronghold and take out particularly dangerous enemies like Trow or Soulless Knights.

I'm assuming this is how people who actually know their field feel about GPT writings on their stuff. Still a neat toy though

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cicero, he means Cicero

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Theres some pretty cool proof of concept mods for CK3 and Bannerlord that use AI bots for chatter with nobles and peasants

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah AoW1 music ruled. The others didnt have bad music but it was more background/mood that didnt have as much hook potential imo. Sort of like the total wars post jeff van dyck (though they have gotten better in recent years)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Best Friends posted:

“This simple mod does two things:

1. Updates the inventory system to work faster
2. Color codes all status effects

bonus: all quests are modified to include new original voice acting (credit: DaGameRoach and Player1RaceWar), and a new free mandatory quest is added - Journey to the Lair of Underpants Sniffing

'Diplomacy Tweaks' for Total War Shogun 2 gives Yari Samurai the yari wall ability, I will die mad about it

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

He brought drones, specifically

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I'd say dom is a decent comp stomper, its at its best competitive against people, but the newer ones have a built-in team mode and since it's not as cut-throat with AI you get more breathing room to mess around with the cool monsters and spells. You can also set-up themed battles like "Multiple teams with a solo Ermor (undead horde) on the highest difficulty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ship designers are cool