Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I only like exploring maps, then things lock down and you can win or lose and I get antsy and bored. Only 4X's I ever really, really played were SMAC and Civ4 and honorable mention AI War. The Minecraft and survival genres soaked up that desire to explore, so I hardly play 4X's anymore. I half-rear end the early game in those and quit before it gets hard instead.

Yet I consider myself a 4X liker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Remnants of the Precursors?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just like the part where I scout planets and think about the stuff I’ll build there. Gimme a 1X.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

sirtommygunn posted:

Have you tried Before We Leave? The closest thing to conflict is feeding the space whales that occasionally show up to eat a piece of your planets.

Checkin this out.

Panzeh posted:

I always thought Imperialism's approach was ideal- there's a decent amount of economic management to be had, but it's all in one screen- the capital, where all industry happens(in both games, industry outside the capital is modeled by developed areas sending home intermediate/finished materials based on the raw resources in the province). A lot of the micro in Imperialism is using international trade- you don't really have to all that often in normal for anything but selling for cash, but on nigh-on impossible you need the injection of raw resources through international trade to keep up with the AI development cheats.

Yeah I was thinking of this too. Although it was a very long time ago that I played it, and I was not competent in managing my empire, there was no floating from city to city making tedious adjustments. Every turn, you’d check a maximum of 3-4 screens to manage production, foreign relations, and international trade.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

pretty telling that no one's mentioned Galactic Civilizations III

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

RandomBlue posted:

Or 4

Doesn't matter, they're all the same game.

no way

I feel like the only truly new space strategy game that can be developed is by someone who has never played one.

Unrelated comment and bad video game opinion: the thing I enjoyed most about my brief foray in MoO 2 is the dark and brooding interface. Going into space should feel hazy, weird, dangerous, and offputting, like Captain Blood (which yes is not a 4X). There should be a feeling of deep constraint, which is why I also liked the space lanes in MoO2. If the universe is hostile enough it might even excuse some of the bad AI. I guess I would want something more survivalist than expansionist.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dreamsicle posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right topic. Master of Magic is currently on my backlog. When I do get around to playing it, should I play with Caster of Magic or is a patched version of the original better?

I haven't gotten around to playing it either, but from what I've read, both the community patch and the Caster of Magic versions are designed by and for expert players of the original game. So you may want to start out on an easy level when you get around to it, whichever you choose.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Google Butt posted:

Missed this thread when I asked a bit ago, what are some 4x games that are fun with a gamepad?

only one I can think of is Civilization: Revolutions, which was designed for gamepads. (consoles only)

Not a 4X, but consider Tooth and Tail, an RTS designed for gamepads.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 15, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

my dad posted:

Freeciv is a free and improved version of the first civ games, it's very intuitive if you've played the series before, but much simpler overall, and easy to pick up and set down without having to worry about remembering what tile adjacencies you were reserving a tile for or whatever that the new games have. Play on one of the easier settings so the AI doesn't get a bunch of bonuses, and you're golden.

Kinda reminds me of a game I used to follow a looong time ago, C-Evo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I used to enjoy sending probe teams off to do things in SMAC, it was mechanically fun at the time, but also I just liked thinking about what they carried in their little black briefcases.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was reading up on how to play Remnants of the Precursors, and stumbled upon this review and a lengthy document (written by the article author?) that picks apart the AI for MOO1. Along the way it makes a few statements about 4X's in general and 4X AI.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Funny to see Stellaris and No Man's Sky mentioned on the same page. When you buy the former, it's an incomplete space 4x that you now have to start shopping for to get an actual experience, versus a fairly shallow but attractive space sim that just keeps getting stuff added to it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My play with Shadow Empires so far has been to generate cool planets and kinda think about what gameplay might evolve on them, then panic-quit on turn one. Most fun I've had with a 4x in years.