Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

I've had a couple of games where I built a massive starbase backed by a specialized shieldless fleet in a pulsar system, it's utterly unbreakable if you've prepared yourself properly.
You managed to luck into the starbase not deciding to gear up with about 75% anti-shield weapons and the shield capacitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

well not officially, he sued the woman who accused him and forced her to write him an apology letter as part of the settlement.
:yikes:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah... I'm never ever buying a game he is involved with in any way.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also end game turns taking forever for the AI.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Any disagreements here? https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-strategy-games/

I'm phone posting, otherwise I'd list them as well.
Best thing on that list is that the Warcraft 3 screenshot is from the old and actually good version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Does the Wild Space mod help with that at all?

I mean, for me, the game stales out just after the first war. Or after you have in some other way grown large enough that the AIs will never be able to threaten you again. But I think the Wild Space mod is designed specifically to fix your thing.
Yes. But in my experience it can really screw you up with a single uncolonizable system connected to 4 others so it becomes an impossible to defend anti-choke or just plop down in the middle of otherwise regular systems so it breaks all your trade routes with piracy. Also opening up the center of the galaxy is amazing for traversing but it usually leaves some regular systems in the center and the game loves spawning you there which is TERRIBLE.

The game definitely stales when you can't explore or expand and it just becomes a waiting game for techs, hoping against hope you random into the ones you want, and more pops to grow. Also I hate how AI's who spawn near you knows they do and just spam tons and tons of ships so they either rush you or you pretty much have to rush them.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 7, 2021