Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Perhaps the reason no 4x is good is the 4x fanbase is all idiosyncratic unpleasable cranks chasing after the nostalgic highs of their childhood, laced with the mad possibility of what that child thought the games of the now-present would be like. I will not be turning on my monitor

I'm intending to make this OP a relatively comprehensive resource for 4X games (and 4x-alikes) and where to get them (Steam, GOG etc). If anything's missing, post in the thread or PM me. I haven't played all of these, so I'm not certain quite how 4X they are (but 4X-alikes are welcome anyway)

THREAD AGENDA:

* talk about 4X games, old and new, mainstream and niche
* argue about which one is the best
* stories of games you played
* stupid in-jokes and alpha centauri quotes (don't over-do it!! :argh:)
* letting posters know when a 4X has a really good discount somewhere
* interesting mechanics, how they compare between games
* if there's a specific thread for it, go there to post about strategies and minutae
* It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

Here's an exhaustive list of 4X on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_4X_video_games
And below, a selection. Feel free to recommend additions, especially niche ones.

UPCOMING GAMES

• 2022?: Galactic Civilizations IV

HISTORICAL 4X

4X IN SPAAAAAACE
  • 1993: Master of Orion 1 (Steam)
  • 1996: Master of Orion 2 (Steam)
  • 2003: Master of Orion 3 (Steam)
  • 2016: Master of Orion (Steam)
  • 2003: Galactic Civilizations I (Steam)
  • 2006: Galactic Civilizations II (Steam)
  • 2015: Galactic Civilizations III (Steam)
  • 2006: Sword of the Stars (Steam)
  • 2011: Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter (Steam)
  • 2010: Star Ruler (Steam) (goon-made! apparently)
  • 2015: Star Ruler 2 (Steam)
  • 2012: Endless Space (Steam)
  • 2017: Endless Space 2 (Steam)
  • 2014: Distant Worlds: Universe (Steam)
  • 2022: Distant Worlds 2 (Steam)
  • 2016: Stellaris (Steam)

SCI-FI 4X BUT STILL ON A PLANET
  • 1999: Alpha Centauri (GOG)
  • 2013: Pandora: First Contact (Steam)
  • 2014: Civilization: Beyond Earth (Steam)
  • 2019: Age of Wonders: Planetfall (thread | Steam)
  • 2020: Pax Nova (Steam)
  • 2020: Shadow Empire (Steam | thread)

FANTASY 4X
  • 1994: Master of Magic (Steam | GOG)
  • 1999: Age of Wonders (Steam)
  • 2002: Age of Wonders II (Steam)
  • 2014: Age of Wonders III (Steam)
  • 2012: Warlock: Master of the Arcane (steam)
  • 2014: Warlock II: The Exiled (Steam)
  • 2014: Endless Legend (Steam)
  • 2020: Imperiums: Greek Wars (Steam)
  • And a special mention: Fall From Heaven 2 mod for Civilization IV

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Nice, I'll add those in shortly

pedro0930 posted:

Space 4X really need to think up a more interesting combat system than laser counter shield and kinetic counter armor.

It doesn't help that Space 4X can't spice things up with terrain. It's far more engaging when you can move units behind a hill or cross a river or get higher ground, but in space all you can do is... drift through the featureless void :geno:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pharnakes posted:

Also Distant Worlds should be in here.

I could have sworn this was something else. What's the name of that game which is basically all just microsoft windows and barely any graphics to speak of? The really complex one when you can control battles down to the second but also build ships over the course of years. Basically "4X: The Spreadsheet"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The Bramble posted:

One game I go back to every year or so is Civilization 4: Colonization.

I got into it last year and it was so god drat addictive. I really liked it, especially the balancing interests of dealing with native civs, other colonising civs, and the homeland.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm definitely intrigued by it but at £45 it's gonna take one hell of a sale before I dip my toe in that. I'll add it to the OP though for sure.

e: ok, turns out I already had it there but hosed it up with a typo. Also got a bit confused between Distant Worlds (2010) and Distant Worlds: Universe (2014) (turns out the latter is just the steam version, and includes all expacs)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 20, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm ashamed to say that a good-looking UI is a bit of a must for me, and while i like the concept of Shadow Empire, the interface looks like horrible garbage. I don't mind grognardy option spam as long as the UI is pretty enough to compensate (stellaris for example).

It's still on my wishlist though and I'll be keeping it on my radar for when I've run out of other games to play.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Node posted:

I'd say it qualifies as a 4X, or at least, an honorary member.

I tried Distant Worlds for a while but that game is heavy on the spreadsheets. Is the AI really capable?

One thing I really liked about that game is how there is an uncontrollable private sector in your empire, that builds things like tourist attractions, but its up to you to protect them if you want to make money from them. It's not like every other 4X, or strategy game, where you control the actions of every facet of your empire, down to the lowliest peon. Zug zug.

That's been mentioned a couple times now and it has got me excited. It sounds a bit like simcity, in that private enterprise will come along if you just foster the right conditions for it, and then you reap the rewards of tax intake.

I kinda wish Civ was a bit more like that. Instead you build every building like you're in the city planning department of the USSR (which is fine if you picked that ideology ;) ). Even trade routes are completely state-directed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've not played planetfall but I kinda like that sort of unit progression. My favourite promotions for units in Civ are the ones that give special abilities, or bonuses in certain circumstances. It gets you thinking more about positioning in a battle.

Sadly the "shoots better in all situations" promotion is the one you pick every time because it's just projects way more force. The balancing of promotions, in Civ5 at least, is pretty terrible.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Can't say I wasn't tempted but it looks a little too deep for me (so many numbers) and the dated graphics kinda put me off even more. Would be keen to hear more about how it plays though from goons who've got it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Truga posted:

hi, i just noticed this thread after having another ES2 stint last month and I figured I'd say ES2 is still very very good, but then I saw this:
It's available online at http://www.freeciv.org/download.html :v:

default freeciv ruleset is a custom civ2 inspired ruleset with some neat things backported from civ3, and modified so it's good and fun to play online

however, it does also ship with classic civ1 and civ2 rulesets, and lets you play those on pretty much any hardware made in the last 20 years, comfortably on modern monitor resolutions. it is hands down the best way to play the first two civilization games, and it's completely free

Nice, thanks for linking! civ 5 was my first civ and I enjoyed civ 4. I've had a weird desire to go back and try the civs that started it all.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'd certainly like to give it a go.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mayveena posted:

Star Ruler is goon made.

Who made the wiki?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

orangelex44 posted:

Deadlock: Planetary Conquest is a older game but my teenaged past self is highly confident that it's fantastic (while my embittered current self says that I have enough games I already don't play on Steam that I shouldn't spent $7 to find out if past me is right).

The reviews on steam suggest it doesn't work on Steam and recommends gog. I'll add it to the OP in a bit along with other games mentioned recently

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I don't actually have that much experience with many 4Xs (something I'm trying to correct!) but I am familiar with the AI in the Civ series and I'll say this much: the most fun I've had with the AI is in Civ 5, specifically with the Vox Populi mod.

The AI was known to be somewhat psychotic in Civ 5, especially the base game (it improved with both expansions), and even worse in Civ 6. And it's difficult to enjoy an AI that just goes balls-to-the-wall insane on you. But with the VP mod, I find the AI to be actually enjoyable to engage with. It won't do psychotic things like backstabbing you for literally no reason, or going to war when it has no chance of victory, things like that. It generally behaves in its own interest. And the modders added tonnes more flavour text / dialog too, which helps buy into their decisions.

I'm actually playing a game right now where even in the classical era, the various civs I've encountered are taking up sides based on what they think of my warmongering. Actually it's kinda funny - they were all friendly with each other but then I started a war with someone, and they all have opinions on it, and their differences of opinion is splitting them up. My war might actually cause another war over there, on the other side of the continent. A few of them are already on edge due to territorial disputes, this might just tip them over :grin:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

threelemmings posted:

Reminded me of something I wondered for a while, why hasn't anyone taken some of the good stuff from Reach for the Stars 2000 remake. The biggest one was the different races, there were like 16(?) they all had different requirements for temperature, atmosphere, and gravity. I don't think the AI was designed to make use of it but you could imagine a similar game mechanic leading to certain species naturally getting along, since they're never competing for each other's resources.

Doesn't Stellaris do this? One race's "20% habitable planet" might be another race's "80% habitable planet".

Terraforming tech does kinda make this distinction pointless though eventually. You're gonna want those 20% planets anyway because of their potential

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I have a love-hate relationship with Stellaris. I haven't played it much, but I really really like the theme; it's the only game where I feel you can make a Star Trek-like universe come to life, without any of the pre-scripted Star Trek IP.

But, I also find it rather boring. The early game is great, when you're exploring and establishing new colonies and meeting other empires and such, but when your borders butt up against other empires and your expansion grinds to a halt, it gets intensely boring for me. Interaction with the AIs seems to be almost non-existent. Nothing seems to happen, unless you end up in a war. Some things happen on the galactic council but it all seems mostly irrelevant, with proposals just being +X bonus to something or other and my diplomatic weight is too insignificant to make a difference to what happens with them anyway.

That said, I have the base game and none of the DLC. I have the DLCs on my wishlist but I haven't felt confident enough to pull the trigger on any of them. They're like £7 a pop even on discount, and I just can't be sure they actually solve the problems I have with the game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Bug Squash posted:

I think the best way to do things would be to have a finite number of "human" actions you can take a turn and everything after that gets ai controlled. Not only would this stop games slowing to a crawl in the late stages, but it gives a natural malus to large empires, and opens up a new dimension of decision making to players in choosing ai behaviours, and creates novel strategies for underdog players to attack a much larger player.

I like this. I'm imagining how this might work in Civ - something like 'the player can directly control X cities and must rely on governors in the others'? Doesn't stellaris kinda do this with sectors? I recall there a limit to how many systems you can have in your core, directly controlled sector. Been a while since I've played it though.

For unit control, Old World makes use of an Orders resource (though AI doesn't get to move units when you run out, as I understand it)

grate deceiver posted:

Maybe make communication delay a gameplay element - so that the game tracks everything in 'absolute time', but knowledge of events propagates radially at lightspeed.

I long for an RTS with a lightspeed delay :allears:

I don't think it would necessarily make a good game but I'd love to see it made as a proof of concept.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

doctorfrog posted:

Gimme a 1X.

*finger curls on monkey's paw*

Welcome to balloon simulator,

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Saros posted:

In case anyone isinterested i'm starting up a Stellar Monarch Lets Play!

I should add let's play threads to the OP. If there are any others currently active please do post them here and I'll add them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
You idiot, seeing the victory screen is the irl blowjob

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jack Trades posted:

Here's a question. Is there a 4X out there with an AI that can pose a challenge without cheating?

I suspect the answer is "every 4x until you've learned the mechanics"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Complex doesn't have to mean complicated!

Complex is good, it means there's lots to discover, lots to master. It does, however, tend to provide plenty of banana skins for the AI to slip on.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I don't see how they're gonna put machine learning in situ without killing processors but colour me intrigued anyway.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
In my experience it's when there are no unclaimed systems in reach. The very moment when all my borders butt up against other borders is the moment when there's nothing exciting left to do

It's a drat shame because it feels to me like the best star trek empire management game that doesn't use any star trek IP (instead just the high concepts). So I think the game really just needs a whole lot more events (meaningful events) that revolve around diplomacy. There needs to be more to interaction with your neighbours than making your army number bigger than theirs and shuffling different numbers over at the UN (where your vote barely matters anyway)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 5, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Shadows of Forbidden Gods is in a pretty good state for Early Access. It's an anti-4X game where you play as a dark god and send out agents to ruin the AI's kingdoms. Pretty sure it's goon made as well.

Sadly I can never get into the fantasy setting, but I'm super intrigued about this description. What makes it an anti-4X? Is it the case that you play as someone sabotaging the AI's empire, like barbarians on Civilization? That does sound a lot of fun...

BTW, if someone would like to provide a pretty screenshot of DW2 I'll add it to the OP. I might even update the OP if I stop being lazy (ok I'll do it tomorrow). And one of you DW2 nerds make a thread already!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'd be keen on a goony PBEM of something.

I'd love to do a PBEM civ 5 Vox Populi but I gather it's not terribly popular on this forum

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
https://webdiplomacy.net/ is actually really really good

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
That Terra Invicta demo seems to have disappeared from steam. Don't suppose anyone has a link to anywhere else it can be found?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Maybe we should just ask the AI what it wants to play.

Thermonuclear War

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Tl;dr:
Thinking about horses made me think that agriculture and technology in 4x games makes no goddamn sense and needs to be much more abstract and fluid.

I enjoyed this post a lot.

I have idly thought, a long time ago, about some mechanic that involves 'prospecting' for oil etc, though I haven't put any detailed thought into a wider surveying mechanic like you have. But I like it.

I've been thinking about resources recently too. I dunno why, but every time i go on vacation, I end up thinking about Civilization and redesigning some mechanic or another in my head. Lately it's been resources (and trade but I'm not going to do a braindump on that because I've gone a bit overboard with it).

Here's what I, a crazy person, would do:

• There wouldn't be a distinction between yields and resources any more. Everything is just "resources". Food and gold are resources just the same as copper and ivory. It would treated like the same kind of object in the game.
  • For one thing this means there wouldn't be gold as well as Gold. Instead, a Gold mine produces gold instead of Gold. Gold.
  • To extract a resource you assign one (or more) citizens to it. The more people you assign, the more of the resource you extract (insert here my long rambling thoughts about how you would have thousands or millions of citizens in your cities, not about a dozen)
  • Technologies and resources would have a multiplier effect on resource extraction. If you have iron working, then a single citizen extracts more stone from the quarry than a citizen without iron working. When you get Industrialisation, resource extract is dialled up to 11
  • But a resource could be depleted. A coal deposit has a finite amount of coal and will eventually get exhausted
  • Including renewable resources like forest (wood would also be a resource). Forests would have a repletion rate (boosted by adjacent forest tiles) and if you extract faster than that, it'll either get completely denuded or you'll have to stop or slow down to allow it to regenerate. Fish tiles and many other resources work exactly the same way (fish, crab, cows etc just translate directly into the aggregate 'food' resource)
  • Some resources spread across the map. Fish spread to adjacent water tiles, forest spreads to adjacent fertile tiles. Similarly, cows, horses, crabs, whales, wine etc, all spread across the map according to the terrain and climate. Once domesticated, you can spread them yourself. The UI could get a bit maddening with all these resources overlapping one another so there'd have to be some clever overlays or something.

I like to think that this would help to model some fun historical things:

• In a competitive game like civ, this means striking a delicate balance between early progress and long term sustainability. You might want to let the forests and seas stay healthy but your neighbour is chopping down all his forests and fishing all his seas, and now he has more boats than you and those boats are full of men
  • You could trade food between civilisations. Your Egypt might become the breadbasket of someone else's Rome
  • Brazil has all the rubber and is selling it at extortionate prices. So you steal the rubber trees and find a suitable climate to plant it in and undercut them
  • After industrialisation kicks in, every resource in the world starts coming under extreme stress. I have an unyielding desire to model biosphere collapse into Civ :goleft:

hahahaha this is incredible. I've actually been thinking about using excel (the only thing I know how to program) to model some of my ideas and see if they would work. But I've never seen anything like this

Veryslightlymad posted:

Oh, don't get me started on the problems I have with hard borders everyone agrees to, or the lack of intricacy in diplomatic agreements.

oh man, don't get me started. Disputed territory is another thing i've dwelled on a lot

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've finally managed to get that ridiculously detailed Star Trek mod working in Stellaris, and have now embarked on what is probably a big mistake.

I'm enjoying it so far though, especially the alternate endings to episodes I've watched. Already I've rolled a big fat zero on the vulcan monastery episodes and lost my Enterprise with all its crew. Not a great start for star fleet!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
You could play a Civ with no opponents. Civ 4 lets you do that, not sure about the others. Just you, beating back the barbarians and civilising the world

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Do you like "grow and expand but hit resource limits and end up in a gigantic panic" games cause there's a few to scratch that itch nowadays too

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
At the risk of opening up the ai/lore can of worms again...

The Simcity 2000 newspapers would be a ripe playground for ChatGPT functionality

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh wow, Knights of Honor has a sequel! (after 19 years!)

And it's on a pretty hefty discount. It came out last year but it's only because of the Sale that I noticed.

For some reason the original always stuck with me, I'd go back to it from time to time. Honestly though, judging from the screenshots, it doesn't look like the empire management gameplay has changed at all, rather there's been a focus on the tactical combat (the bit that appeals least to me). I think I'l line up a let's play on youtube but I ain't committing to giving this one a go just yet.

Graphics look awesome though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
For some reason I can never get into space 4Xs.

I like Stellaris a lot but still couldn't get into it. I think it's the lack of terrain. I enjoy terrain too much and there's just not much scope for anything equivalent in space 4Xs. For me, terrain is a huge part of what makes a game interesting.

Anyway, despite never getting into 4Xs I still have a weird interest in them, in how various mechanics have been designed and implemented, and how they play.

With that in mind I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good youtube series for MOO1 and MOO2 - games which I'll probably never play but could still enjoy watching someone else play.

For reference I've been really, really enjoying Many A True Nerd's playthrough of Total War: Rome, because he knows that game inside out and can explain all the different mechanics very well (and how to cheese them). And he exudes such a passion for the game.

(incidentally, that's another game I know I'll never play because I'm not a fan of that kind of tactical combat - I'm much more at home on the strategic level managing the empire)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Joe Chill posted:

Checkout youTuber Sullla and his plays of MOO1.

Thank you for this recommendation btw. I watched his intro video and he explains the game really well. It was a nice accompaniment to this review of Remnants of the Precursors on explorminate, which i haven't read in full yet but which also covers the basic themes of MOO1: https://explorminate.co/remnants-of-the-precursors-review/

I don't think I could possibly get into MOO1 with its dated AI and graphics but I'm now having a bit of fun in RotP.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Btw, I recently discovered explorminate has a rather comprehensive database of 4x games, thorough enough to include 4x-alikes and games that really stretch the 4x definition.

I'm working my way through the links to pick out any gems i might want to try (or watch on youtube) - worth a look if you're in the mood to try something new.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jabor posted:

(Similar to the players that always choose the largest allowed map size and number of opponents,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

SlyFrog posted:

when I realized the AI just had random units wandering around doing nothing

I like to think of this as an accurate portrayal of the US military during peacetime