Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Over the years I've developed the opinion 4X games are something that I enjoy in theory way more than in practice, because for so many of them it feels like all the interesting gameplay happens at the start, begins to stagnate as you hit the midgame and becomes utterly mind-numbing at the end game. The last I really recall enjoying was Endless Space (though the endgame definitely got boring/repetitive) and I think I've just burnt myself out on the genre a bit.

That said I've definitely not been paying attention to the genre for a long while and should probably try Endless Legend and/or Age of Wonders: Planetfall, both of which looked interesting and I've heard pretty much nothing but praise for.

Alamoduh posted:

Old World seems to be using some novel concepts, but it just seems like there is a ton of design space for innovation that just never gets used.

This hits the nail on the head for me, so many of the new 4Xes that I see feel like identical cookie-cutter designs with vaguely changed art assets. Has there been anything recent that's really played around with the genre/mashed up with other genres in an interesting way?

For anyone looking for a mobile 4X experience I'd like to recommend Battle for Polytopia, a micro 4X where you have just 30 turns to lead your tribe to victory around a tiny map. You can accomplish a surprising amount within those 30 turns, and while the mechanics are simplistic they hide a fair amount of strategic depth. The hard time limit, small map size and extremely focused nature of the game does a really good job of capturing all the neat parts of 4X games in a bite sized chunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Felt like it got shoved out well before it was finished. There was glimmers of an interesting game in there and maybe some insane modder will salvage it down the road, I guess.

But basic things like the fact that the game shipped with generic weapons sounds rather than, y’know, the ones from Star Trek definitely left a “what the gently caress are we even doing here?” impression.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gave Nexus 5X (formerly Stellaris Nexus) a shot last night.

Firstly, Nexus 5X is a loving dogshit rebrand and a terrible name and while I can see an argument for wanting to position yourself more clearly as a separate game and not just a Stellaris DLC pack, choosing Nexus 5X as your replacement is absolutely baffling.

Anyway, what the game is aiming to be is a short turn based 5X designed around multiplayer play. It’s very board-gamey and in particular its “galactic council / objective scoring systems / control the special planet at the centre of the galaxy for big points” stuff all feels very reminiscent of Twilight Imperium.

You need 100 prestige to win. Prestige is earned in set intervals from a recurring council phase for varying conditions like having the widest spread culture or having the most developed planets, then everyone votes on what the next objective to score should be and a passive bonus that applies to all players. Most objectives can only be scored once, but taking and holding the planet Nexus at the centre of the galaxy generates a sizeable amount of prestige and can be scored every council round.

I just played a game against the AI so I could start understanding the systems and game flow. The map feels small and crowded with six factions which is good, you find yourself rapidly jutting up against opponent borders and forced into conflict for the means to further expand or fulfill victory conditions.

The prestige system forming the win condition means that although you will almost inevitably need some form of military to guard your territory and expand with, militarily dominating your opponents doesn’t really mean poo poo unless you’re positioning yourself to gain prestige off doing so.

I really like the espionage system and definitely want to find a faction that can play around with that. There’s what looks to be a decent variety of factions and they have different Leaders that can tweak their playstyles. What absolutely sucks is your additional faction leaders are locked behind some sort of progression system so if you don’t jive with the first Leader for a faction at the start you’re poo poo out of luck.

Interested to jump into some multiplayer and see how quick the games can run (I’m given to understand there’s generally turn timers). I imagine it’ll get pretty cutthroat pretty quick.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

what is the 5th x supposed to mean?

According to the devs it’s “eXpress”, because it plays quick.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Adding strippers into my 5X strategy game to secure another three Xs.