Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Comstar posted:

I just went back to The Old World and oh my god whose idiot idea was to put automate worker and automate road behind 39 steps in the random tech tree.

Does Millennial do the same loving thing?

I never used automated workers on Oldworld, seems a bad idea considering you build almost everything with workers, so that would be basically automating the city design

Anyway I kinda liked what they did with buildings and workers on Oldworld, but it comes with some problems too:
- excessive micromanagement of workers mid to late game (and automating is not a solution, imo, for the reason above)
- you never have a list of every building you have in a city, which starts to get hard to keep track when they get big

I really curious to see how Millenia handles it, workers Are always a chore in civ-type games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont care much about automation in this kinda of stuff in these games because

1- the AI will be bad at choosing stuff to build and where

2- managing and building my cities is my favorite part of any 4X

That said, theres absolutely no reason we need workers as a unit you have to move around the map to build stuff. Eliminating that, I totally happy with improving my tiles and choosing what to build myself

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Microplastics posted:

I regret to inform you that Millennia will have diplomatic units.

Yikes

I hope they dont have religious units doing combat like civ 6 though, I hated that poo poo

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 23, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Personally I’m definitely waiting for some reviews and maybe a few patches

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have to admit I have no idea what a Horse Node is despite having played every civ since 2 and many other 4Xs too

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fangz posted:

FWIW I think he's right, horse nodes are kinda dumb. But maybe there are dumber things in these games too. It's also really annoying to have cavalry researched somehow but no horses.

He is but same applies to every animal AND agriculture tile too (like wheat, bananas etc)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

i might be mistaken but old world’s automation tech is actually a huge deal because of the way your orders are limited on each turn, right? seems a more interesting take on automation vs micro than usual

Is it? I dont think Ive ever used it. But for me it seemed a very bad idea to automate workers in a game where even wonders are built by them. Almost everything in the city is built by them, automating workers become automating city management and them whats left to do? City building is what I liked about the game.

War is way better than in civ 6, but Im not usually a warmonger 4X player. And I found most diplomacy and spying options nearly pointless, and also the CK-lite part of it mostly imemorable and a bit tiring

Also, in my limited experience (I had like 3 or 4 full games), orders are a big issue early game, but when automation tech comes you are already swimming on it

edit: vvvv yeah I liked the orders system too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 23, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mayveena posted:

Sooo who's ponying up for Millenia? Please post your thoughts when you have a chance

Im curious too but no way Im buying that so early

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know if this is the thread for this but Terra Invictus is on game pass now. Any tips for starting out?

Theres a thread for it, you will probably get more help there
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005102

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

doctorfrog posted:

Funny to see Stellaris and No Man's Sky mentioned on the same page. When you buy the former, it's an incomplete space 4x that you now have to start shopping for to get an actual experience, versus a fairly shallow but attractive space sim that just keeps getting stuff added to it for free.

How many DLC do you need on Stellaris for the good experience? I have it and I played some a long time ago but it did felt like an incomplete game so I soon got bored of it and havent touched it again since

Ive been wanting to try it on its current version but not if I have to buy 20 DLCs to have the complete game, too expensive for me now

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

thunderspanks posted:

I hate the subscription model personally but since not everybody feels the same I'll mention that if you own the base game, you can pay $10/mo for all access DLC.

Hmm I didint knew it also had that, thanks

I might try but $10/mo is not cheap either

edit: I mean, for comparison, thats about the same price of a netflix subscription in Brazil. To play 1 game, that I already paid for

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 27, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kvlt! posted:

It does seem expensive. I think I'm going to subscribe for a month to see if I like it, then cancel and save for the DLCs I want.

With the subscription: can you turn on and off certain DLCs so I can plan which ones I want to buy? Or is it just "Here's the game with all DLCs on?"

I checked and for Brazil is actually around $7, which about half the price of most DLCs there

Not cheap but not so bad either, I might give it a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lum_ posted:

If you don't want to pay $10 subscription for DLC (I wouldn't!) here's what you're choosing from. Prices are full price, you should NOT buy anything that's not on sale.

Must have:
Utopia [$20] Must-have, adds goals for mid- and end-game, really should be part of base game
Armageddon [$20] Adds death stars, other combat options, but it uncomplicates your genocide
Nemesis [$20] Lets you be the threat that unites the galaxy against you
Ancient Relics [$10] Adds archeology

Nice to have especially if you're playing as the focus:
Megacorp [$20] Start a business
Synthetic Dawn [$10] Play as robots
First Contact [$15] Makes finding new "friends" more interesting
Distant Stars [$10] More anomolies, extra-galactic "L-gates" system

Very optional
Overlord [$20] New vassal options, hyper relays
Galactic Paragons [$20] Special leaders
Leviathans [$10] Space monsters
[insert name here] Species Pack [$10] Each one adds a touch more content for that species

Don't buy
Astral Planes [$20] Less content than any other DLC, at full price? nah.

Basically Stellaris REALLY needs a combined pack with most of the older DLC, but instead they're selling monthly subscriptions to a game you already bought, which is *really* hard to defend. Unfortunately, I really like the game, so I already bought all this stuff. :smith:

Utopia is the only one I got

As for the others, Ancient Relics , Megacorp, First Contact, and maybe Overlord looks cool, but also dont seems such game changers

But I anyway I guess Ill just try playing with what I already own (base game + Utopia) and if I like Ill think about getting DLCs or subscription later

Thank you