Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I have two ideas that I'd like to see in 4xs.

One: Some kind of infrastructure modeling. It'd be neat to have the focus be way less on "what is the highest level tech I can research" and more on "what can I poo poo out gobs of, and is it meaningfully expensive to field high tech poo poo."

two: cycles. Three distinct game phases, exploration, empire, ascension. I want to see games where once you dominate the galaxy your pops grow bored as gently caress and start ascending to a higher plane. Leave behind relics and weird poo poo, reshape stars, and then the next game you play go discover them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
And you can zoom in on a planet and watch the little ships go through the slipway gates with a cool noise.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hannibal Rex posted:

The best spiritual sequel to MOO2 is FTL.

Never mind the 4 Xs, I want a space flotilla strategy game instead of one where I have to optimize the build orders of 200 different colonies with a selection of 100 different upgrades. Amp up the RPG and narrative elements like finding Orion, fighting Antarans and looting ancient shipwrecks, and give me a proper MOO2/Starflight hybrid slash open world FTL.

Play Highfleet

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Trip report on star dynasties, I'm enjoying it for what it is but the gameplay feels like CK2 in space with no religion. You can definitely tell they have plans for continuing to expand, but the demo will give you a very good idea on if you'll like the full game or not.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Has any other game done a fully 3d strategic map? I feel like that's part of the reason that the different drive types didn't work out in stellaris, there's only so much you can do in a 2d space.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
loving pirates I'm paying you your goddamn money stop shooting me

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

Speaking of 4X games, did anyone pick up Wizards and Warlords when it was mentioned way back? I know I was going to do a topic about it but it seemed interest was iffy. So given the complexity of explaining parts of it I never bothered due to only a one or two people that seemed to be interested in it.

It's another game that's a simulated world, similar to DW. Only it's turn based instead and is a fantasy world where you take either the role of a wizard, a warlord or (as of an update, ironically making it like an inverse of the pirate mode in DW) a nation. Basically, think Dominions if you could design the magic yourself meets a simulated fantasy world that is procedurally generated with unique gods, ancient dangers, cultures (and races.
One could be a merchant state of centaurs, and another could be a nomadic group of tribalist raider elves, for instance. And that's before you get into the weird stuff that lets the game generate races. Or let them invade from other planes of reality.), and all sorts of semi-secret bullshit that'd make players that are into that go nuts.

Wondering if I should bother to make that topic still, since it's been way too long.

I picked it up and gave it a shot and promptly bounced right off, would be interested in hearing some more breakdowns of it though.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

it cracked me up how no-one even noticed the the dev posting, lol

dw2 is a good time, need to fix those crash bugs though (as i'm sure you're aware). i just had a game where i found a ludicrous abandoned armada and i find that kind of charming

I was going to say something clever based off the name but I couldn't think of it.

Also the abandoned fleets are great but I would prefer the notifications about "we found this awesome ship what do" to be more on the level of once per fleet rather than once every time my construction ships finish the last one and move on to the next.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's a different studio that bought the ip off the dude but I'm still interested

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve never heard of this game. What kind of game was it?

one of the more interesting twists was that since this is hell, there were no map borders. the map simply wrapped in every direction which meant that you were always surrounded and there were no safe directions. plus there was amazing card art and unit descriptions, I gotta find if there was an album of those because they are absolutely worth checking out on their own.

one of the big things holding the original back was that the main guy was a fantastic game dev but an utterly poo poo (self admitted) coder the only multiplayer was pbem.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I had never heard of spell force before this game and bought it because of positive word of mouth on this forum

I hope that my purchase of this game results in the devs continuing to make this and they never make an 'og' spell force again

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Minor spell force question has anyone figured out a way to turn off the intro quest or is that baked in? I just want a tower and my dudes I don't want to get asked the same drat questions as I restart for the 4th time.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I feel like there is absolutely room at this point for someone to do a sots-a-like and they should

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Started playing with spell force eo again and it plays a lot more smoothly than I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

A ship designer is basically the definition of "sounds cool but results in bad gameplay".

Either the AI understands it and makes perfectly good designs, in which case it's a complicated system that doesn't really add much to the game.
Or the AI understands it and makes perfectly good designs, but the player isn't allowed to use that and has to make all their designs manually, in which case it's tedious busywork.
Or the AI doesn't really understand it and the player can get a huge edge over them by doing a bunch of tedious busywork.

Master of Orion's ship designer was bad too, but it largely gets a pass because it's from an era where nearly every game had some tedious bad gameplay somewhere in it.

I was gonna respond with Starsector, then I remembered that it's not really a 4x and the AI runs from a bunch of menu options that have already been generated and then also understands combat to a level most AIs don't come close to.

So this comment had no point other than play Starsector I guess