Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
spellforce is too hard imo, it's like you play with the maximum amount of Fallen Empires in Stellaris and also you get -5 to their rep every 12 turns

also it needs a dedicated End Turn button that I can rebind to Mouse 4 or Space or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Hokan has a quest where you get massive rep, I had problems with the dude that's bullying you for gold, one turn I couldn't pay (well I had the gold but also negative cashflow) and it was instant war :/

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

KPC_Mammon posted:

Remember when people were mad when the new xcom lead thought it would be fun to make a marvel game based on his favorite comic books and people lost their minds? Gamers are entitled shits. Their behavior isn't normal or healthy.

?

those gamers were right, Midnight Suns is terrible

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Deptfordx posted:

So is Spellforce a RTS like Starcraft or turn based like HoMM?

the current one is a turnbased quasi 4x

you have one (movable) base, several movable outposts, you have like 6 different ways to attack the endgame using a billion combinations of crafting skills, starting magic schools, difficulty and starting area

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Urukon is incredibly granular, you have to commit to a long playthrough to get anywere, and yet at the same time you rely on random chance to get things done. I love the map and the implications you can draw, but basically grinding out your expansion will always be the same (if you want to remove variance). The presentation doesn't help the lack of replayability.

This would kill on a handheld btw, just remove the fiddly modifiers and streamline everything.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I'm just waiting to see how the economy shakes up, at release the low energy generation in planetfall felt extremely bad, and if they keep the forced choice between upgrading your cities or fielding squads im just skipping this

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
AoW4 runs great, would have been nice for the tutorial or the popups to tell me how to build Cities

fwiw you build Outposts by selecting the empty province, not by building a settler or using your hero

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Spellforce also has no mods, and hasn't had a patch for two months (still can't rebind keys!). I feel like AoW4 just bodied them completely.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

John F Bennett posted:

Can anyone recommend me a 4x that does not have much micro-management? Or micro that can be automated away?

For reference, I think Civ 6 has way too much micro, but Civ 5 is right at the limit of what I can tolerate when it comes to micro-management.

Also, preferably not sci-fi, space or fantasy, bonus points if it's historical.

It doesn't have to be a recent one at all.

Warlock - Master of the Arcane and its sequel are basically fantasy Civ 5

https://store.steampowered.com/app/203630/Warlock__Master_of_the_Arcane/

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Azhais posted:

While we're talking historical 4X, has anyone tried out Ozymandias?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1768280/Ozymandias_Bronze_Age_Empire_Sim/

I was reviewing my backlog of humble choice options and nabbed it, but haven't had a chance to try it yet

I refunded it after two hours, felt more like a puzzle game.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Figure since civ 6 never got proper modding tools I’m not missing much not playing on pc

?

I play with 100+ mods on PC

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I always play with Heroes off, too much luck, especially on faster turn settings

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

FrancisFukyomama posted:

That’s probably fair, I’m guessing the ai doesn’t understand monopolies either?

they build the first tier of industries, but I have never seen a Product or even the second tier tile

the civ 6 thread consensus is monopolies are a thing you should turn on once for the easy cheevos and then skip completely

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the demo is so far underwhelming, unless they really lean into the fantasy ages, I don't see this killing civ6

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

babypolis posted:

I tried it out and it just felt waaay too outdated, plus as you mentioned the visual somehow seems worse than the original

the breaking point with me was all the random ruins, theres nothing interesting in them, they are littered all over the goddamn place, and it seems like a pretty good chunk of the game is just clearing them out?

I mean you can find items and gold/mana in them, those are important in the early game. And the dangerous ruins (Towers and Nodes) can have Magic Books and unique spells in them on the higher difficulties.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
forest on a food tile means you are treading water, fine if you hit that temp cap but not a good idea for the first five tiles, better farm it and come back later

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I just realized, Morgan Industries is incentivized by his drawback to build fewer farms, and instead to use a colonizing invasive species to replace native flora. And with pure irony it's Forest.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know if this is the thread for this but Terra Invictus is on game pass now. Any tips for starting out?

no tips, just have fun discovering that iceberg and be prepared to lose games, like a lot of games

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Shadow Empire is 4 years old and has zero mods, always a bad sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

V for Vegas posted:

Lmao ive been playing it with mods since it first came out.

sure, and the casual observer will not