Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stellaris' big problem is that the early game when you're a small fish and the AI empires are either on par with you or scripted to be untouchable until later is the actually interesting part because you have to navigate at least some semblance of challenges, but that immediately and instantly goes away once you hit like 30,000 military power or whatever because you have a single fleet that can solo the entire galaxy while you pump out equal fleets from every planet, and everything you take gives you even more of that fleet. Once you have that single large enough fleet, your empire is unassailable, and once you get two (which takes a fraction of the time), you can now take your neighbor. Meanwhile the first one is upgraded to 60k, and so on. You snowball so fast and so effectively there's no chance to lose. Similarly, your influence goes from a dripfeed to irrelevant at the exact same time, so you're taking all the good stuff for yourself, and if somehow you're over your cap, you just spin it off into an ever-loyal vassal or let them rebel and bomb them again, since armies don't matter in the face of three dozen ships bombing the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, like I had an alternate universe portal on a planet that seemed like it'd be really cool (especially for my galaxy brain single mind race) except all it did was increase trade a bit. Have me get invaded by things from that portal or something! Let me pull my alternate universe guy through and have two weird planets or something!

Hell, let me actually do something diplomatic at all, the AI steadfastly refuses outside of one bot each game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rimusutera posted:

This is basically an endemic problem to 4x games in general. The critical mass snowball point.

True, but I think it's worse in Stellaris because there isn't really anything else in the game. The AI barely interacts with each other and you can barely interact with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know if this is the thread for this but Terra Invictus is on game pass now. Any tips for starting out?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elias_Maluco posted:

Theres a thread for it, you will probably get more help there
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005102

Oh cool, thanks