Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Vampire Panties posted:

I don't remember there being a system destroying weapon, but there was certainly a system-wide mine field
Space Empires IV had a star-destroying, late-game weapon. Just pop open a wormhole (another late-game-only tech) into the enemy's system and make a dive for the sun. Bring an attack fleet and some minesweepers along if they're a human player because they've likely long-since heaped defenses onto the star of any vital system. I vaguely recall mines being buggy in stock, though, so it was too easy to eat up a massive minefield with cheap hulls.

I don't remember if the Dyson sphere with 64-trillion population capacity effectively blocked the use...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mokotow posted:

I missed the Space Empires series completely. There’s probably too much jank to waste time on it today, but this is the age of remasters, rereleases and open source ports so who knows.
I didn't know whatever became of the developer. Seemed like a largely one-man passion project? IV was the peak for me, but that might be due to it landing in my middle school years where I was willing to ignore the rough edges.

I struggled to get into V, but don't remember my specific complaints beyond it just not seeing like a big step forward :shrug:

When I'm old and have nothing better to do, attempting a fan remake of IV is on my bucket list.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I built my first army in Shadow Empire, kept it near my capital, and then just watched it attrit to nothing over the course of a few turns for no reason that was surfaced to me in the UI. I'm fine with my games being arcane, but if I can't tell the difference between a hidden mechanic and a bug, I'm gonna have to assume the latter...

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Zurai posted:

There's an overlay that shows you supply range by tinting the tiles clear/green/yellow/red as supply penalties increase. It's been a while since I played SE, but I could've sworn it was the default one. It's definitely a complicated, obtuse game, but supply is very much not hidden. The game is about logistics as much as it is anything else and there are several UI modes to show various aspects of supply.
Yep—overlay indicated that they should have been in full supply. No indicator on the unit itself, either :shrug:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Joe Chill posted:

So what were they needing exactly?
The ambiguity on this is why I set the game aside. Nothing was directly surfaced to inform me of the source of the attrition and I went back a couple saves to play around with it to no avail. :shrug:

It's been like a year. I might still have the save.