Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

THE BAR posted:

Sword of the Stars had a very sensible management system, where everything was managed by a simple MONEY -> RESEARCH slider. The more money you used on research, the less you had to buy stuff. And planets simply grew by themselves, no buildings required. You later get costumizable space stations and the whole freighter system to tango with, but the game's management side is incredibly intuitive, letting you focus on its fantastic travel and combat mechanics.

Yeah, I really wish more 4X games took an approach similar to this, though maybe in slightly more detail.

I really don't want to worry myself with building individual improvement buildings on each planet/city/colony. Just let me do a few sweeping choices for each one and get on with ruling my empire, I'm an emperor, not a mayor/governor.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

ikanreed posted:

Hot take, sliders are bad, and they abstract away the fun of micromanaging an empire

Micromanaging two dozen planets isn't fun for me. Hell, most of the time I find the ship designers every 4x game insists on having tedious.

I want to focus on the big picture, not whether or not the backwater of Tau Ceti Alpha V has parks and recreation set up.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah I don’t know if it’d still be a 4x but I’d love a game that was basically just the opening stages of a 4x. All about exploring, finding cool/weird/dangerous poo poo, setting up colony worlds, researching new techs, meeting and dealing with other races, dealing with cold wars and frontier brush wars (as in more a series of small skirmishes with handfuls of ships than massive total warfare with huge fleets). Maybe something where you have only a handful of major ships and outposts with individual captains and such like Stellaris’ characters.

Basically something the captures the common sci-fi trope of humanity arriving on a frequently already established galactic scene and dealing with trying to find a place in it (see: TOS Star Trek (or even Enterprise!), Babylon 5, Mass Effect 1, etc).

It all probably sounds better in my head, but basically as Kitfox said, something that concentrates far more in the first three Xs.

I’d also just be happy if more traditional 4X games were willing to emulate Stellar Monarch and not have other factions play by the same rules as the player at all.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 8, 2022

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If only they'd make a (good) new one!

I'd be a happy camper.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I think the basic design most 4Xs use make it really drat hard to make AI that is appropriately challenging, even leaving aside bad ai coding.

It’s acknowledged the AI needs to cheat a ton just to be competitive when it’s bound by the same rules. IMO, more 4Xs need to abandon that approach and embrace asymmetric gameplay where they don’t even try to pretend the AI plays by the same rules.

I also want more 4Xs to stop feeling obligated to include certain features just because the classics like Civ and MoO had them. Not every Space 4X needs a bloody ship designer (which is usually poorly balanced and, again, rife with AI cheating) and not every 4X needs in depth colony management to the point I’m mandating individual building improvements.

Just personal preference, ofc, but I miss the sliders from SotS1. That and maybe a bit more detail would be nice.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jazerus posted:

i think truly asymmetric AI opponents without any symmetric AI opponents is another genre entirely. probably a better genre than 4X, but i'm not sure it would scratch the same itch

To me it’s already asymmetric with all the absurd cheaty bonuses the AI needs to present even my mediocre skill a challenge in most 4X. So might as well do a better asymmetric system, rather than trying to pretend this a match of equals while secretly shoving horseshoes in the AI’s boxing gloves. The bulge they make is pretty obvious!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mayveena posted:

The solution to AI irritations is always AI Wars 2, but I know it's not for everyone. I really enjoy it as it presents challenging situations without me feeling like I'm playing against a cheater.

Coincidentally, it uses asymmetry and makes it a real strength. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looks like Distant Worlds 2 is getting a new update in a couple days, on March 2nd.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

chaosapiant posted:

Oh poo poo! Any news on what’s in there?

All I saw was a "Tune into a stream tomorrow!" announcement made yesterday. No further news posts on Steam or Slitherine's website for the game. So, dunno! :shrug:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Check out this video "Distant Worlds 2 - New update stream w/Erik" https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinetv/v/1751592500?sr=a&t=6134s

Would’ve been nice of them to summarize the update for people who don’t want to watch a 2 hour stream (me).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TNW? No, it prefers a nice game of Chess.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They wouldn't be nearly as funny or humorous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Future Video GamesUK posted:

It just seems really weird when there are at least two full-featured Trek mods for Stellaris anyway. I assume people who want to play 'Stellaris but Trek' are just playing those.

That just means they're basically leaving money on the table! Gotta do an official version and grab that cash! What do you mean our product sucks?

PDX been on the downslide ever since it went public.