Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

For 4X in space its worth throwing Stellar Monarch in there. It goes the other way from most 4X in that it tries to simulate playing as a leader of a galactic empire so you have limited actions per turn and the focus is managing your court and admirals and setting military objectives & research goals rather than building every farm on every planet.

It's singleplayer only and a lot of enemies play by very different rules than the player which can make for some interesting games.

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Shadow Empire is out of steam and on sale. It's also really good if you enjoy a more war focused 4X.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Dunno about the communication but I have my shadow empire tutorial vids and a couple of LP's linked in the OP of the game thread. For the first vid of the MP VLP my microphone is a dud bit after that it's fine.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Nifty! One of the frustrating things about Stellar Monarch was that the autonomous fleets didnt quite work right and you had to micro them a lot to acheive good results.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

In case anyone isinterested i'm starting up a Stellar Monarch Lets Play!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

There is Post Apocalyptic Aurora running as well.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

There are definintely a bunch of re-used assets. I had a bit of a moment when I looked at the steam page not realising it was published by Illwinter.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone give me a rundown on what Shadow Empire is?
I see it mentioned a lot and it has good reviews which peaks my curiosity but the visuals are so god drat ugly that the gameplay would have to be truly exceptional I feel.

There is a (no longer that active) forums thread.

If you do get it immediately install this Art pack.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Entorwellian posted:

I've been playing Wizards and Warlords and the game is bloody difficult. I tried playing an Archmage and it took me quite a while before I was able to get an economy going to support an army with a mix of summons and recruits. By the time I conquered my second province, the next door necromancer had about 5x the amount of undead units roaming about the map and wrecking my poo poo. It kind of reminds of Eador: Masters of the Broken World but way more complex.

Things need to be documented way better though. I have no idea what the unit's statistics are in relation to the game mechanic in question. Is a melee rating of "6" good? No clue!

Necromancers are game breakingly powerful so that's probably why you got stomped.

The fun thing with W&W I find is the sheer ridiculous diversity. You can pretty much pick any fantasy gimmick you can think of and roll with it to reasonable success.

orangelex44 posted:

On the off-chance that someone might actually know the answer, is there anything you can do to already-conquered towns to either destroy them or migrate them to a more favorable culture?

Pretty sure city culture and religion can be changed via sending a character to influence them. I forget what the exact actions are called.

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It's a game where you can literally have armies of flying bird people who worship a bull god facing off over the battlefield against lizards powered by star-magic with shape shifting mayan-leopard people mercenaries.

It's far too much for any AI to play well, far too much for most people as well really but the sheer chaos is remarkably fun.