Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't played any of the Age of Wonders games, but I hear they're spiritual sequels to the Warlords series. Can someone break them down for me? Is one of them in particular considered the best of the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/doomquasar/status/1242520928317313026

This was a while ago, but when I originally read about this, my first reaction was that it sounded more like an Alpha Centauri quote. Then I belatedly found out that Ken Levine himself has gone on the record how Alpha Centauri served as an inspiration for Bioshock.

Now I can't stop thinking about a 4X game that has competing factions of crazy ideologues colonizing the ocean floor.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Let's have a debate: What 4X strategy had the best/most enjoyable AI opponents?

Reach for the Stars :colbert:

Seriously, though, SSG mostly stuck to grognardy wargames and isn't well-known anymore, but Roger Keating was a pioneer of writing good, non-cheaty AI. One of his principles was not to design a game and then tack on an AI at the end, but to consider whether or not each feature could be used by the AI throughout the design phase.

Their best known game is probably Warlords 3.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Clarste posted:

I will say that MOO2 was the only game in history where I had fun with the ship designer.

The best spiritual sequel to MOO2 is FTL.

Never mind the 4 Xs, I want a space flotilla strategy game instead of one where I have to optimize the build orders of 200 different colonies with a selection of 100 different upgrades. Amp up the RPG and narrative elements like finding Orion, fighting Antarans and looting ancient shipwrecks, and give me a proper MOO2/Starflight hybrid slash open world FTL.