Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

My understanding was that pbem was the primary use case.

Apparently Armageddon Empires will come to Steam at some point, but files for Solium Infernum are written in such an archaic program that it will be stuck in its current state forever.
(insert joke on purgatory here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I like Civ V with the Vox Populi mod, and I think the AI does a decent job. It has slowly replaced Civ IV as my favourite in the series. The late game content with monopolies and corporations is quite decent, and I think it's quite balanced. Couldn't care less on VI.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

papasyhotcakes posted:

Upgrading the whole palace was better

This!

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

The Civ2 build-in mods were wild. in the best possible way. That game delivered a lot of game.

The WW2 scenario was amazing

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Anno posted:

Idk how Vox Populi isn’t considered a total overhaul? Everything about the game is different (I guess other than that it’s still Civ and not FFH or something). Even the AI and UI are redone. It’s the best Civ game out there!

AFAIK, the only significant new thing that was introduced are monopolies corporations. The rest was balancing.

But yes, it's one of my favourite Civ versions.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

I also liked the Warlock games, how are the Eador titles? I've never touched them.

Eador Genesis: New Horizons is completely free, and I love it. You can sink 100s or 1000s of hours in the campaign. Not a true 4x, as it misses research. More focused on tactical combat, but nevertheless awesome.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

my dad posted:

This just crossed my mind, to give you a sense of scale for Eador:

There's a dude on youtube who has been playing Eador's campaign on Overlord difficulty for years by this point, has 250+ videos roughly average two hours in length in the playlist, and he hasn't finished the playthrough yet. (and before someone asks, no, I didn't watch the whole playlist, just gave a few videos a quick glance to see his playstyle, and the dude does seem competent)

Lotaeri is awesome!!! And yes, I have the vast majority of those vids...

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

Is this where I want to go for the latest version of that Eador mod?

http://eador.com/B2/viewtopic.php?t=4697

I just want to make sure I'm not downloading malware.exe, especially since I found this through a series of links on the game's Steam forum.

Yes. And you don't even need to install it. Just download, extract, and run the .exe.

There are a few settings you can tweak in config file.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Solium Infernum also has a win condition option (needs to be selected as a character perk at the start of the game) that if you are a blood vassal to the winner, you win instead.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

What game has the best planet-glassing? I always get such a kick out of building to the biggest ordninance in 4x games. I remember being a kid and rushing straight to the nukes in Civ.

Distant Worlds. Ask Grey Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Endless Legend is not really a campaign, but there is decent mission tree for each faction.