Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Electric_Mud posted:

Mine was the ability to make actual colonies on resources that were too far outside of your border. So if the only source of oil was on the other side of the map you didn't have to build a whole city.

I really wish Civilization had incorporated that idea.
It was a thing in civ 3, the forgotten member of the civ family.

(I really liked civ 3 and think it got too much poo poo when it introduced a lot of concepts that civ 4 refined into greatness :negative:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Lady Radia posted:

Miriam was right tho
I've been reading through that SMAC analysis blog someone linked several pages ago, and I have to say it did make me give Miriam a fairer shake than I did when I was playing it as a (freshly edgelord athiest phase) teen. She's not right about everything or someone you're likely to sympathize with overall, but she is notably the character who points some things a player might recognise as "horrifically dystopian" or at least something that gives them pause.

-This is a world with self-aware colonies that automatically, cleanly, and permanently remove those who "cause problems". Would you be comfortable being ruled over by such a thing? Miriam isn't.
-Are we sure it's a good idea to make intelligent grey goo?
-We can transport matter, but anyone who's been around sci-fi nerds too long has heard some version of the teleporter argument... (although Miriam's concern is with her idea of a soul)
-She gets in a dig at capitalism, for it's fundamentally unable to handle all the important things in the world which can't be assigned a dollar value. :capitalism:

On the flip side, as much as I loved playing as the University, let's not pretend there's not a lot of monstrous poo poo hiding behind that curtain.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Lowen posted:

IMO, there are 4x games with fun and good ship(or unit) designers like [...]SMAC,
I'll admit it's been a while since I've really dug into SMAC's unit designer, but that's because it's been a while since I could be bothered to engage with it at all, precisely because of...

Lowen posted:

I would say those two things are the mark of a bad, unfun unit designer.
The first is incremental upgrades rather than parts that have entirely different properties.
I simply cannot and will not care about manually outfitting everything with Slightly Better Laser or whatever part the latest tech unlocked, and that feels like 99% of SMAC's unit upgrades to me.