Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Type up in word convert to pdf bing bong done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Veryslightlymad posted:

Horses are extremely adaptive creatures. We've recently discovered that our earlier assumptions on when horses came (back) to the Americas was off by a couple hundred years. A far smaller amount of contact was enough to begin seeding the land with huge, culturally transformative numbers of horses, a couple centuries earlier than our old, patronizing understanding.

Off topic, but I find almost every public facing discussion around this infuriating as an archaeologist. A large portion of that is that depending on the reporting its not clear at all about the timeline being discussed.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Pipski posted:

Does anyone know, in Gal Civ 4 (the Supernova version on Steam) can you create custom civs to be your opponents rather than using Stardock's pre-baked ones? I tried watching a LP on Youtube but still couldn't tell whether there's a way to do that. I'm kinda intrigued by its whole 'AI civ designer' thing, but not so much if you can only use it for your own empire. I know you could create custom enemies back in GC2 but not sure if you could in 3 or in this one.

Im fairly certain I read something where at the very least ai generated civs you make will show up on other games as AI empires.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Have you, uh, looked at the mods that come up if you just browse the steam workshop without doing some real turbonerd poo poo like signing up for a game forum to get good recommendations

As someone who uses a poo poo load of mods across a variety of games.

Most subscribed, highest rated, will get you like 95% of the best mods for most games in the first couple of pages, and for like 3% of the remainder, you can search for what you want. The remaining 2% are hidden gems that yeah you hear from word of mouth.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

I really liked Star Ruler 2, shame it didn't sell better.

It was an abrupt change in game design from the first one, IMO, which probably caused issues in that regard.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Libluini posted:

For me, ship designers can't be complex enough. I can spend endless amounts of times designing weird drone carriers in SEV and then see how well they fare in the real world.

Makes me wish there were more free-form systems like in Star Ruler I or Aurora, where you can be the maniac you always wanted to be and design ships launching smaller ships launching missiles launching other missiles

Too bad that's such a small niche inside a small niche. Hell, Aurora isn't even sold because there aren't enough people around who would buy it. :v:

Edit:

I recently bought Rule the Waves 3 on a sale, and already had some fun designing bad ships for the Kaiser. On my first run, I made it through barely one year before the Kaiser fired me. Something about being constantly over budget and making us look like dumbasses worldwide. I dunno, history taught me that's how German naval ministers should work. :smugbird:

RTW3 is another game with a good, despite being complex, ship designer.

The incoming missile decoy system in Aurora might be a bridge to far for me....

Until I bang my head against it enough that it clicks.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

You can grab a couple of the side tools like the engine and missile calculator and have it do much of the heavy lifting for you since those can be the most finicky. Unknown if updated for latest version.

I just played it about 20 times and bounced off each time before it clicked. I found a ship design strategy that works (I'm slower than most player designs I see but hilariously uparmoured) and have mental sizes/porportions for engines/missiles that I can template off of and adjust. This works fairly well and while its probably hilariously unoptimized I can deal with most things the game throughs at me and have fun doing so.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Quixzlizx posted:

Anyone here have opinions of Ozymandias?

I hear he is the king of kings?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mods new thread title please

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I never really felt like the customization was weighty or meaningful, which kinda sucked cause that was supposedly a big selling point for the game.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

pedro0930 posted:

wat....even tier 1 item equipped units outclass units with no equipment with stats bonus and extra capability. Once you get to tier 2 and tier 3 item the gulf is insurmountable for units with no equipment.

Oh I'm talking more in regards to the faction customization. I played a couple games and ultimately felt like I had basically done/seen everything which is not great.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

just to settle it, a ship/unit designer is absolutely inherent to a 4x, don’t believe the lies

Agreed

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Joe Chill posted:

So what were they needing exactly?

Food might have been an issue, units need to eat iirc and in a lot of starts your food situation can struggle to support your starting city, let alone the army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I just kept feeling like I ran out of poo poo to do. I'm not the best 4x player but It was pretty easy for me to punch through the AI lines and then steam roll and then due to map sizes it was just turn after turn after turn of painting the map and I just kinda grew bored.