Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Bloodly posted:

Distant Worlds seems to manage. But is that truly a 4X?

Distant worlds is my all time favorite strategy game and I would definitely call it a 4X. It ticks all the boxes, just in real time. The AI doesn't even need to be smart to completely gently caress your plans up. The AI taking one refueling station could make or break your war campaign. The private economy is awesome and needs to be a thing in more games. Watching your empire actually spring to life with space trucking is so satisfying and every single little civilian space truck is actually transporting poo poo to feed your war machine. It makes your empire feel alive.

Seriously guys if you like complex as gently caress grognard level games, try distant worlds. It is the most mechanically complex space 4x on the market, maybe even the most complex 4x period. So complex they developed AI to help you run every aspect of your empire if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm definitely intrigued by it but at £45 it's gonna take one hell of a sale before I dip my toe in that. I'll add it to the OP though for sure.

e: ok, turns out I already had it there but hosed it up with a typo. Also got a bit confused between Distant Worlds (2010) and Distant Worlds: Universe (2014) (turns out the latter is just the steam version, and includes all expacs)

I was going to give you my old keys for Distant Worlds since I bought universe on steam and don't use the old copies but they hosed me over and removed the download to the old version. Pretty hosed up if you ask me. If you happen to find the download for the old version of the game I have legit paid for keys for the base game, Legends, and Return of the Shakturi you can have.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

I don't even thing I've ever even finished a 4x let alone win one. I will say I win in spirit since I get to the point where all I have to do to win is mop up the map but :effort: