Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

oscarthewilde posted:

this definitely needs a hall of fame feat. the best and worst patch notes of all time. i still cherish the SOTS2 patch notes that featured multiple 'fixes' that really only broke the game further. vaguely remember something with asteroids spawning in stars and causing ctd's?

Didn't that one have a bug where admirals could be assigned to lead asteroids too?

Among about a billion other things going wrong with that game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gort posted:

Well, kinda. Stellaris, for example, has black hole, pulsar and nebula systems, so you can fight an enemy in a system where there's no such thing as shields (pulsar), ensure a crushing victory as long as you win since the enemy can't retreat (black hole), or hide a fleet and lay an ambush (nebula).

That said, I've never actually seen a battle decided by the use of such terrain, so it could be better implemented in that game.

I've had a couple of games where I built a massive starbase backed by a specialized shieldless fleet in a pulsar system, it's utterly unbreakable if you've prepared yourself properly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Poil posted:

You managed to luck into the starbase not deciding to gear up with about 75% anti-shield weapons and the shield capacitors?

I usually play with mods that let you influence that sort of thing, but even absent that, I just design an armor-only anti-armor/hull defense platform and build as many as I can, they will absolutely wreck the shop when anyone tries to come in.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I feel like with unit design in strategy games, you either have to make it as simple and unintrusive as possible, or go Full Armored Core with it and just offer a stupid amount of complexity and potential variety for people to mess with.

I want a 4x that genuinely offers AC levels of unit customization. Or even Gran Turismo, lemme tweak the stiffness of every last spring in my mech's arms or something. You really do need to either go big or go home, either will piss some people off but trying to split the difference usually pisses everyone off.