Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Warlords? I'd say it's more of a Master of Magic game than Warlords, with a robust city-building layer while all the real depth and focus are in the units and combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Funnily enough, the one game I would pick above all 4Xs as the platonic ideal of "game that is too complex for its AI to play legit," I would pick Sid Meier's Colonization. I love it for going all management/logistical sim in a civ-like, but lmao if the AI even experiences a semblance of what the player does in that game

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
And only because GalCiv2 was, in truth, a ridiculously shallow game that an AI could play well only because all a player can do is make their numbers bigger.

drat shame the Sins of a Solar Empire people are under their umbrella, that's a game I legit really like.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, whoever brought up Imperialism 1 & 2 has the right of it. You get to make interesting building decisions in your capital, get to feel that neat sense of building up the world as you take territory and resource hexes and lay out transport routes to bring them back home, but at the same time you're not building granaries/libraries/temples in every single town or city you build or conquer. Just your capital, and arranging the world so wealth funnels into it. Yes, problematic, but of course the game's name gives it away.

On a related note, I wish AoW: Planetfall did that with its city model. Having to manage multiple cities on a sector by sector basis gets tiring once you start conquering past your "borders," and they didn't add in vassal cities from AoW3 to simplify conquered city management. Ah well.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
"Cheapo Dominions" is a terrifying phrase

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
A Jurassic Park game with insurance policies

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh poo poo, that game wasn't a complete Epic exclusive? That's good to know.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
GC2's AI was good by virtue of the game being so numbers-oriented and shallow. Can't gently caress up when there's barely anything to gently caress up. I think people should aspire to something more complex than GC2's gameplay, personally.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Might as well post here but I'm trying to get into Civ 4: Colonization again (the original Colonization is probably my top Problematic Fave Game of all time) and, well, it's killing my eyes at windowed 1440p. Does anyone know a way to make the UI readable at that resolution range without going into fullscreen mode?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Play the game at 1080p?

I was hoping to make full use of my monitor somehow.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Complications posted:

Let me add on to this advice - stay away from the Master of Mana set of submods before you've played a few games of other FFH2 submods first. It tacks on a Caveman2Cosmos type resource system and vastly increases the fuckery going on with units which will be incredibly unhelpful for learning how to play when you're also trying to figure out what everything else also does.

Master of Mana is practically a different mod from FFH2 at this point. Hell, it's a practically a different game from Civ 4. I love it lots but people going into it expecting more Civ are in for a major shock.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Most of the complaints are about how the game is basically the DOS game updated to a modern UI, which is...yes, that was the intention. It's heavier than usual, mind you, for 40USD. Even I think it's pricey, considering that they already had the game design in place from long, long ago and most of the work is modernizing the thing.

If you want actual evolution of the formula, there's only really Age of Wonders to look out for. This remake was never intended to have new systems or whatever.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

sebmojo posted:

it's good, all the flaws and benefits of the old game, though just like the old game it's slow to start.

Annoyed at all the grogs voting it bad, it's really not warranted, this is (presumably) exactly what they wanted.

Yeah nah, this is harsh but from what I've experienced with grogs and aging gamers (like me!), when people say they want a remake of their beloved old games, they're lying to themselves. Especially when it comes to the dead as gently caress genre of arena FPS, people don't want a modernized remake and will complain about everything if anyone tries, because deep in their hearts what they really want is to be young again and playing Quake 3 online on a DSL connection with their friends. Unfortunately, even a full price 70USD game can't quite do the work of a therapist, so...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Even the remaster of MoM is, regrettably, without multiplayer.

E:

Does the remake include the stuff from the Caster of Magic expansion, that they released for the original in 2020?

Nah, no CoM stuff. Dunno if they plan to enable mod support so the new version gets modded again and everything comes full circle :v

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's a 4x setting for the animations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do you always start with goblins as your recruitables in Spellforce: Conquest of Eo? I go Artificer but am very doubtful about investing crafting resources into these chucklefucks considering how fragile they are, unless I really am meant to boost their health to acceptable levels by spamming health glyphs.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I found the Dwarfs, my good ole bearded bois. Spoilers for those who care: Dwarf city is due east of the mountain start position, with some easy beginner quests you can generally push relations into high enough that you can start recruiting basic dwarfs at the location. Doing so also gives them a +15HP buff plus elemental resistance, though from what I see you can't recruit the higher level melee units from the city so you can only get them on the basic units + T2 healers and shooters + T3 fire mage. When that happens, I believe it's best to start recruiting the T2 melee units from your tower + barracks room from maxing out your relationship with the Dwarf city since their base stats are just plain better than than T1 + city recruitment buffs

I also found out that you really want to keep investing into your proficiency, even a trickle, as you eventually get more unit slots per stack as you reach thresholds, on top of tower room slots and whatever.

Right now I'm hoping someone has a spell list handy since picking a school as your primary gives you an additional page of spells to research vs. having it as a secondary. From what I can see, Earthmaster as primary gives you a bunch of utility spells on your second page that don't seem particularly impressive, so I wonder if Guardian has cooler second page spells.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 4, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Spell list for Conquest of Eo is out: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2928702566

As I was suspecting, Guardian is actually better than Earthmaster for stacking unit buffs :v Time to reroll.

And yes, even Balanced difficulty doesn't gently caress around. Play the diff previous that to experience the game first and learn the mechanics, IMO. There's a lot going on.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus, Explorer vs Balanced diffs in Conquest of Eo are night and day. Even while knowing what I'm technically supposed to be doing after two early runs, I'm sure that a Balanced AI would've been kicking my loving head in at around half the total playtime I put into this one. I'm tempted to start over on Balanced but I'm certain that I do not have the tempo knowledge to pull that off.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Has anyone had luck using archers in Spellforce? They carried me through the early game but once I started pushing into nearby regions and fighting higher-tier units with bigger health pools it feels like they dropped off fast.

Starting off in the mountain areas, the beast stacks would be filled with moles and snow leopards, both of which can literally get into melee with your army from the first turn without you getting to respond. I didn't bother with ranged units and just stacked dwarf moleriders, who were the complete package of tough, strong in melee (they have daze on attack, very good), and great movement with a healer and hero/apprentice. I went Artificer with double Guardian books for tall play and you can get some serious buffs on your guys: I had a global enchantment that gave +4 white damage to all units capable of white damage, and the Holy Weapons enchant does just that plus +3 white damage, paired with Bless which makes your guys always do max damage per attack. I was in the middle of freeing up more mana for more enchants too; I could've gotten a +2 armor and death damage resist buff for 2 mana per unit, or a +6 damage vs demon/undead buff for 1 mana per unit, which is super fuckin' nasty and basically a hard counter to any rival circle mage running undead or demons.

It's a very interesting game, a far more successful attempt at a story-based 4x than I've seen in a field full of failed and flawed games. That said, I think I might wait for the first patch before going back in again, the devs have acknowledged that the pacing can be off and I ran into a quest bug that would softlock me (duplicate quest causing the second copy to have no proceeding dialogue option to exit out). I know now what to do, but I could use some more meta knowledge on how to maximize my Artificer play since all I do is just spam 3 green glyphs and dumping them en masse on my units for an easy +20 health. Surely there's some more tricks I could do.

EDIT: Actually, the whole ranged thing reminds me of AoW3, where in late game the real kings of the battlefield were high HP, high melee damage beatsticks. Ranged units just can't compare, especially since all it takes to shut them down is to get into melee with them.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 8, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finished my first run at Conquest of Eo, Artificer with double Guardian picks and dwarf mountains start. This game is real cool, I'm glad someone finally made a good asymmetrical PvE 4x game (eat poo poo Stardock and Wardell)

Finest moment was taking out an enemy T4 (big fucker) with its own elemental damage through judicious use of buffs and debuffs. You can do some real nasty poo poo with the meta, it's sick as hell. Dragged a fair bit in the endgame so I just settled for the minimum conditions needed to win. Hopefully they get more content out, would be interested in how else they can develop that game; personally could use some more UI improvements since your ingredient list will get cluttered as gently caress and crafting can be a chore.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Don't trust Steam reviews for poo poo. From what I can see in the Steam forums, there's the usual contingent of whiners complaining that it's not like the other Spellforce games, yadda yadda

That said, it's a legitimately difficult game that you'll probably need a couple of restarts to learn the ropes and the tempo. Very easy to find yourself getting wrecked by the AI since they absolutely do not follow your rules. There's also some UI issues I'd like fixed in time.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Moles and snow leopards are overtuned IMO, I've been asking the devs to make sure they can't do their first turn melee teleport rushes without the player getting to respond. Just feels bad, no point to running the native dwarf ranged units (sans Combat Balloon, it uniquely can fire even in melee) if they're going to be like that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I bagged SF3 on recommendation from a friend and while the vanilla campaign was just like, generic WRPG pap, the Fallen God campaign was actually pretty well-written since it was set from the PoV of a "monster" race (trolls) without them being portrayed as generic savage monsters. Enjoyed it a lot, ended up in my GotY list.

That said, the RTS part was nothing to write home about and honestly kind of got in the way of the RPG, which was better.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My favorite part of the update announcement was in the comments of the first one: a dude asking that once the update drops, if there would be an option to play without it.

God help video game developers, they need every bit of it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I legit don't know why you would be surprised; even when people soured on the model, the DLCs still kept selling and the studios still kept supporting the games. Negative reviews are not going to stop them, actual and effectual loss in sales will. For my part, I do like the DLC model and the ongoing support because they've legit managed to keep these games on a surprisingly long lifespan and mostly kept them very interesting with every major iteration.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If you're looking for a 4X experience with AoW, you're barking up the wrong tree. At its core AoW is a wargame and most of its focus is oriented towards the combat; the overworld and systems are all just there to enable it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I dunno if you're joking but then again I have heard of people playing the Total War games but only using auto-resolve and it just makes me go ??????

Like what are we doing here

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That's the intention but using AR for easy fights and using AR the entire time and completely bypassing what the series is about are two entirely different things.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well alright but as far as I'm concerned it's like playing Heroes of Might and Magic for the civilization-building element. Godspeed, I guess??

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah most of this is basically "I like building stuff, not wargames." Fair enough, I guess.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

Perhaps the reason no 4x is good is the 4x fanbase is all idiosyncratic unpleasable cranks chasing after the nostalgic highs of their childhood, laced with the mad possibility of what that child thought the games of the now-present would be like. I will not be turning on my monitor

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The first time I saw the word brothel I think it was Medieval Total War 1

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dead game

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Reposting here since I might as well, even if maaaaybe the genre is a mismatch: anyone been playing Dune Spice Wars? They just came out with a big update adding a run-based campaign mode and I'm interested in finally picking it up. I'm familiar with Northgard so I know their style of game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Overall I think it's a better, more polished game than Northgard, with some early access growing pains. I think it will really shine in a FFA with friends, since it's fairly political.

A patch with the Conquest campaign just dropped like two days ago and it's pretty cool, a bit more elaborate than Northgard's.

This is what I like to hear, thank you. Think I'll pick it up then.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Heyyy that Spice Wars game is pretty great, I'm happy with my purchase. Gonna get into the weeds with the Conquest mode now after having played a run with everyone save Harkonnen (they're meanies :( )

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I have no idea as I just bought it recently, though I certainly end up running a plascrete surplus pretty often and usually forget to trim down plascrete factories I no longer need.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Master of Magic remake is steady going, albeit slow. They even added a new race (Goblins in Myrror) and wizards to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh wow, looks like they just announced DLC for the MoM remake. The trailer has nothing but the Steam page basically says it's going to be themed around blending technology and magic together, plus a new race.