Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You should be playing MP in pitboss mode if at all possible anyway, which should hopefully get around desync issues.

Drives me crazy that each version of Civ at release was like "we didn't think to include the only method that makes long form multiplayer gaming tolerable lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I'd check out some of the AAR forum threads on civfanatics. It's old, but the All Leader Challenge series was pretty good. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-all-leaders-challenge-game-bullpen.216961/

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
As far as design purity goes, I'd love to see more games takes the Spaceward Ho! approach. It's neat how the design is simple enough that the AI can meaningfully engage with it, down to AI players being able to cuss you out appropriately.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
What really bugs me in a game is when the secret AI cheating invalidates tools and strategies that the game has already told you should work. Like if the AI gets to just ignore morale, but the game still lets you run spy missions to tank happiness for no effect.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
There's a lot of difficulties with attaching tactical combat to a strategic game. One is that making a decent AI for combat can be hard, particularly if you have interesting combat modules available.

The other big one is that the time investment doesn't scale. One combat can be a cool and interesting minigame. A hundred combats is a soul-sucking time drain. Autoresolve? Either doing the fight manually gets better results so you have to babysit every single fight to minimize losses, or autoresolve gets you at least the same result as manual in which case why did you ever spend the time?

Making all this poo poo actually work is hard, so it makes sense to just punt and remove tactical combat from the game entirely.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Spaceward Ho! remains the pinnacle of the genre.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
1upt AI is doable, if the game is designed with that in mind. A 4x almost by definition is not; meshing together tactical, strategic, and economic layers means something has to give. For example, in Wesnoth a single battle spans hundreds of hexes, so even though there are local choke points, in general there is room to arrange your units without traffic jams. In Civ, battles take place over, at best,dozens of hexes, and even getting units to the battle is crowded, so now the AI has to deal with vastly increased complexity just from having to sort out what order to move its units to get around self blocking.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Caves of Qud is the current gold standard for procgened flavor text, IMO.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Wardell brought his bees to work one day to prove that his employee's allergy was fake.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The Star Control guys, by the way, wrested control of Ur-Quan Masters back and made Brad give them his honey on top.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

I likes GalCiv1 the most tbh. Ship designers, beyond optional aesthetics, are imaginary depth that dont add anything to the game and make the ai worse.

Ship designers should never be any more complex than the one in Spaceward Ho!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Mayveena posted:

I looked for a Millenia video from Dastactic but there weren't any. Given the hype for the game I would have thought Paradox would send him a key? That makes me quite nervous about the release tomorrow as Dastactic is generally pretty up front about the games he plays.

He had an early look out about a week ago https://twitch.tv/videos/2093564299 so it's on his radar, but no idea why he hasn't done anything more to date. I know press copies are going out, Quill18 did a showcase of space race gameplay a little while ago.
It does seem like he's streaming a little less than usual lately, so maybe he's just busy with other stuff.