Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Any info on Distant Worlds 2 release date? It’s super vague everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Those GC blogs and Q&A sure sound like Brad. Having said that, the MOO-like sub genre needs to expand. I always found the sub-1000 star galaxies as too much of a stretch, sort of like Civ always felt like an abstract board game rather than an actually exploration of taking a Civ through history. This multiple sector idea is kinda cool. I guess Stellaris made some inroads into this topic with L-Space or whatever it was called, but nothing in that scale. I'll be curious to see what Distant Worlds 2 does - the galaxies there will also be larger.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

You’re absolutely right; gameplay needs to evolve to match these large galaxies made now possible by more computing power. It’s just that the genre has been stuck in (and failing) improving the MOO formula. To be clear, I don’t think Stardock is the company that’ll crack this nut.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I'm fairly sure there was a top-down game recently where you control a whole sector and it did exactly what you guys describe, thought the title eludes me.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How’s Distant Worlds 2 coming along? I think the beta started last summer?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I think they always said most of the work is in re-writing the engine for multi-threading. The original DU took a few DLCs to become a proper game. I think it's just one of these developers and games that takes years to get anywhere sensible.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

chglcu posted:

A very minor thing that’s bugging me in DW2 is that all the galaxies are circular. I can’t really do the thing I did in DW1 and use one of the non circular galaxies and pretend I’m in a small chunk of a much bigger galaxy, which makes the small number of stars require less suspension of disbelief.

Oh god yes. I just don’t buy the galaxy illusion in these games and always opt for a sector. It’d be great if there was a but more variance in a sector-like distribution, too, with mire pronounced no fly zones etc.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Supreme Ruler 2030 got announced and it might be here this year, even. New engine will allow more units and regions. Yea, these games are absolute jank but I love ‘em.

Edit: was meant for the grog thread but hell, works here too

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 24, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

In DW2, if I have a colony in a system, and I find a luxury resource on a say lava planet (not my colony) that gives me a colony development boost, do I need to transport it to my colony? I plopped an MS there and it has the luxury resource in the hold - will traders bring it home automatically or do I need to manually set this resource level in the colony?

Resource management in colony currently set to auto.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mokotow posted:

In DW2, if I have a colony in a system, and I find a luxury resource on a say lava planet (not my colony) that gives me a colony development boost, do I need to transport it to my colony? I plopped an MS there and it has the luxury resource in the hold - will traders bring it home automatically or do I need to manually set this resource level in the colony?

Resource management in colony currently set to auto.

So to answer my question, these luxury resources did get brought over by commercial freighters to the colony, where they function as ling as the population has access to them, depleting them slowly, though no idea what that depletion rate is. Also no idea how to manage the luxury good movement across multiple colonies - I guess that’s what the manual resource management pane, we’ll see how it works.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I can’t seem to find an answer for this seemingly simple question, but in Distant Worlds 2, what influence does ship maintenance have on anything? If I run the maintenance spending at 75%, does that make my shops 75% slower/weaker?

EDIT: I think I get it, though there doesn't seem an easily findable and complete explanation. The gist is on the spending screen you are really setting a limit on the total maintenance spending, and not an efficiency factor. The maintenance costs are fixed and efficiency of every ship is always 100% (at least not taking damage into account, that might impact efficiency), but if you somehow cross the maintenance cap set in the spending screen, it'll just scrap the ships that went above it.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 7, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The next step for 4x, achievable only by the juggernauts like Civ, would be AI based on previous playthroughs. They'd need to phone every game home, and probably need a cloud infrastructure to support it, but if Civ VI would have been gathering this data for the past decade, it would be more than capable to be a challenging opponent, regardless of complicated game mechanics.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks everyone for the great AI discussion so far. It sent me on a tangent to see if there are any interwsying projects in strategy game AI and I have to say I came out disappointed - it doesn’t seem there are any interwsying initiatives, not wven something like taking an old Civ game and doing machine learning with that.

It seems that any effort in this front so far is concentrated mostly on arcade games (Google’s Deep something) or RTS/Moba games. As far as I can gather, it’s just a chore to build an external AI that would be well integrated with a strategy game and most of the time it’s easier tonwrite a simple AI-training game from scratch, but you still don’t end up with something that’s plug and play into existing games.

There’s also consensu coming across various things I read that a challenging AI i generally not a oriority for most players, thus investing heavily into it when developing Civ-like AAA games is just not worth the investment.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There’s a standalone expansion for GalCiv IV called Supernova apparently. I played GalCiv III last and found it mediocre, and even though IV has been around for a while, I see regular updates published for III so I don’t know what’s the deal with that is. Continuing in the Paradox school of trailer design, the trailer for the new expansion is story-based with no gameplay or any mention of the new mechanics or features, and tbh with an approach like this from the dev I don’t think I can be arsed to look for details myself.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

JFC that AI text was perfectly serviceable for what it’s supposed to accomplish, ei. give some optional background. Sorry it’s not Le Guin level of writing, playing 97% of scifi 4xs must have been a chore for you guys

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Paradox also announced a Star Trek 4x Star Trek: Infinite. No gameplay, but some of the trailer pics look very much like Stellaris. It's not developed by Paradox proper, but by one of their studios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3cM3Rsh7lQ

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

More to be revealed on Picard Day (June 16th was it?) and they only confirmed it’s not a mobile game

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's a puzzle game designed around you constantly having to make irreversible decisions based on incomplete information, it's good but yeah engineered to stress you out

Sounds like my day job

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Star Trek Infinite website and trailer are up.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/our-games/star-trek-infinite

It’s literally a Stellaris mod, which doesn’t need to be a bad thing. Without having to develop a game engine, they might have had time to modify Stellaris enough to be a good basis for a Trek game. Then again, I don’t know how far you can stretch that engine. Also, there already us a popular ST mod for Stellaris, right?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

The Stellaris lore is ripe for expansion, it’s much less well-developed than the lore of other Paradox games like Hearts of Iron.

Hearts of Iron lore like Keiserreich and TNO

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Honestly these days online, who the gently caress knows what is and isn’t

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Steam Nextfest has a demo for Microcivilizations and it’s pretty cool! It’s a semi idle clicker with a research tree, a local map, leaders with stats and historical eras (demo only has the neolithic) and invasions. Not a clicker player by any means, but it’s really fun!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Stellaris (…) it's development has been very well managed

What in tarnation

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Okay, the game has at least been getting steadily better and better with the Custodian team constantly reworking all the less-than-good mechanics, instead of whatever the gently caress going on at CA.

Hell, Stellaris even has a competent AI now to the point where they had to lower the default difficulty.

Makes sense! Amazing how different the game was in its first year. Wasn’t it this forum’s very own Wiz! involved in either loving it up or fixing it?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

X4 is a good 4X game, if not obvious.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

you'll take my gigantic civ4 maps that literally break down from memory allocation failure before the end from my cold, dead hands. I'd rather play in a wide open world of whimsey and exploration than some tiny 200 tile rear end knifefight where one decent stack just wins you the game

:hmmyes:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I would like there to be a 4x game where you can play on something like this. Of course I’d be a completely different game from what we’ve got in our MOOiverse. I imagine playing something like a Foundation-themed 4x spanning millennia:okpos:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The terms used for these differed types of PBEM games are IGOUGO and WEGO.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It feels like a very advanced Civ 4 mod and I dig it. I had a lot of fun today with a quick play through and a half and was sad when I hit the turn limit.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Love it and can’t wait to see later era battles.

Honestly though, I hope it didn’t take a lot of time because it could have been spent better elsewhere.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

titty_baby_ posted:

Tried getting SMAC to run online multi-player with a friend over the weekend and we gave up

The CSPAM strategy game thread has some galaxy-level SMAC players that could probably help.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There’s a big Distant Worlds 2 patch out.

True to form, the patch notes link is broken but if you figure out what’s wrong with it, it’s a .doc file.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Amazing how far they've missed their mark. It does some very un-Star Trek things and doesn't stray far enough from Stellaris. I recon they did not playtest this enough, which is kinda surprising, knowing that Paradox does invest some money into game testing.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I missed the Space Empires series completely. There’s probably too much jank to waste time on it today, but this is the age of remasters, rereleases and open source ports so who knows.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I think that’s perfectly achievable now, no? With end-game tech surely you can build ships large enough to move your industry and population.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

Oh, entirely, but I want to run the factories and labs and population in the ships.

That’s a fantastic idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Libluini posted:

SEV came periliously close to this. You could:

-Put mining robots on ships to strip mine asteroids and planets (it slowly lowered the resource value of the mined object, slowly ruining them)
-Create orbital and mobile yards to functionally put all your industry into space
-Ships with cargo space can carry population

But then you still need population to run facilities on planets, or you'll be as weak as a kitten compared to everyone else.

I can't for the life of me remember a space 4x with a fully nomadic faction.

Vodyani in ES2 but I never played it as I dumped the game after 5 hours :geno: