Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
First start right after buying none of my ships would work, they were constantly stuck in construction. Sometimes they'd finish for a sec then go right back in. Thought it was some weird construction bug but it turns out the game started my colony in the middle of a huge ion storm and it was completely unplayable.

:shrug:

e: zero notification on the ships as to what was wrong, no damage or missing parts, full fuel and energy, just wouldn't accept commands even in manual. I only found out by turning on the nebula overlay, though the screen flashes and thunder sounds were some indicator. Just thought that was ambient effects though.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Right click hold? WTF?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

chglcu posted:

It’s fine as a control scheme when you want left click to select and right click to perform a default action. Don’t know that it was actually explained anywhere in game though. I had to learn it by looking up how to rebase fleets. The manual might’ve mentioned it, but who even reads those?

It is not in the tutorial, which is very weird considering it's 18 pages of text long. Seems pretty important.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Anyone know if they're planning on adding workshop support for mods?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Pay them off till you find their stations and force attack the station while paying them off in a surprise attack. Did the trick for me before I got bored and downloaded stellaris again.

Lasted about 10 hours in DW2 before I started asking why I'm playing this over Stellaris. Stellaris has issues and I've never "finished" a game in almost 500 hours played but it feels more fun and interesting than DW2 does to me.

DW2 feels like I'm mostly spectating and it's missing some tools that would help with disabling automation and making it feel more interactive like idle ship notification or mission completion notification. If you want to manually control your scouts, for example, you basically have to sit there with the exploration ship tab open and watch for when they complete their task because the game won't tell you.

e: I wish DW2 scaled up a representation of fleets, stations & planets/systems for display when zoomed out instead of basic geometric shapes. Watching from a zoomed out view is just a bunch of circles moving around and isn't very interesting to look at but where I spend most of my time.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 17, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Grevlek posted:

Looks like the last 10 pages or so are about DW2. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get into the game? I've played hundreds of hours of Paradox style games, and this one seems like there is 'more' under the hood than the others, but it also feels like I'm just sort of sitting there waiting for my empire to build itself.

Help me enjoy Distant Worlds 2 everyone!

congratulations on summarizing the last 10 pages or so

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

sebmojo posted:

it cracked me up how no-one even noticed the the dev posting, lol

dw2 is a good time, need to fix those crash bugs though (as i'm sure you're aware). i just had a game where i found a ludicrous abandoned armada and i find that kind of charming

No one would actually admit to being Elliot, the developer.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 18, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Psycho Landlord posted:

Stellaris is actually very fun but people who play Paradox games think admitting fun is satan or something

I hope in a year or two DW2 is also fun

I have played this game for 5000 hours and have never had a "fun" or whatever it is.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

Can you focus on a single ship or station in DW2?

I find it appealing to be in a massive 4X map and being a small entity within. And being able to go macro when I feel like it. Am I seeing the is right?

Sure.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
If you like 4X games and don't buy DW2 you're going to hell.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Archonex posted:

massive good post

Thanks, going to have to check out that mod.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Clarste posted:

Just started a game of DW2 as the fish people. They start with a ruined spaceport around their home planet, and I started repairing it but for some reason it got stuck at 100% and has been sitting there "under construction" for years without making any progress. Any idea what this means?

Doesn't sound like this is your problem but prior to today's patch it was possible for your empire to start in an ion storm and nothing would ever complete construction/repair. You can tell by turning on the nebula overlay for the map and zooming out.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I've modded the game so there is only one resource, HillDawgs, and now you only need 10 freighters max.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bloodly posted:

Oh? So few? What are the finances of your own and AI empires like?

It was a bad joke, I did not do this to myself.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The automatic ship designer in DW2 seems to be dumb as balls, at least when hitting the automatic upgrade button. It apparently thinks marine barracks and crew quarters are the same thing, so when manually triggering a design upgrade none of the designs it generates works because it replaced all the crew quarters with marine barracks and the design becomes invalid.

I'd wondered why after making several ship tech discoveries my fleets still didn't have a new design to refit to and this seems to be why.

Game still doesn't autosave at the configured interval, seems like an important thing to fix when the game is still having crashing problems. Just had it crash on me, not looking forward to repeating 30+ minutes.

e: 19 minute interval between Autosave1 and Autosave2 and 35 minute interval between Autosave2 and 3, what the poo poo? I'm configured for 5 minutes, the default.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 24, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

esquilax posted:

Yeah the AI makes some seriously boneheaded decisions with design. It designed my first colony ship with too many shields, and just enough reactors so that the energy surplus supported a hyperdrive at speed of 7K instead of 200K.

The AI also can't figure out how to keep a fleet together instead of trickling in one by one, and is pretty ridiculous at pathfinding.

Spent a lot of time with DW:U, but am really disappointed in DW2. Hope things improve.

Yup, fleets are currently terrible unless you baby sit them.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

chglcu posted:

More diplomatic options unlock over time, though I don't remember DWU's diplomacy well enough to know how they compare. I'm not sure if the trigger is having more agreements with them or researching the per-race diplomacy tech options, or maybe some combination. I don't recall seeing any "please hate me" options though. Once you get big enough, you'll have constant wars declared on you due to the envy modifier that is pretty hard to counter in my experience. I think one of the patch notes may have mentioned toning that down, but I haven't had a chance to play too much recently to see if that's the case.

I think all the options are listed from the start, they're just disabled until you research the right tech.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
This might come as a shocker but DW2 does not run on the Steam Deck currently. Launcher works but the game crashes right after.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Seems like the autosave bug should've been a day one fix. It's probably much easier to fix than all these crashes and would make the crashing much less painful.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Thom12255 posted:

Gal Civ 4 releases tomorrow. Looks like they're keeping it Epic Store exclusive for the year. Currently at $40 as the early access price but I assume it'll go up to $60 tomorrow. I haven't seen much said about all the gameplay changes and Brad's still a dick.

Good news is if you've played Galciv 1, Galciv 2 or Galciv 3, you've probably already played Galciv 4 and can just skip it.

I'm assuming given their history, I haven't looked into GC4 at all.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Worf posted:

is new galciv bad

yes

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Atarask posted:

So speaking as someone who was stupid enough to think that making a 4x as an indy thing was a good idea this hits the nail on the head. In our case too an issue was we started when literally nothing was out (No Stellaris, MOO2016, ES2).

Even more asset intensive things like a action game that has some voice acting is actually more manageable. Ironically we had the graphics part handled although even those assets for the "expected" number of species and monsters turned out to be more intensive than doing a straightforward action game where there's asset sets we'd construct for environments or say a space fighter game with fewer assets of similar detail in general.

On the AI discussion it definitely needs to be tailored to the systems you've constructed. When starting in Unity we made the mistake of "build all systems and then... yeah figure out AI!" and one of the big things that took a while was sitting down and mapping out how to make the AI function which was building utility scores and functions for basically every system the player can interact with so it'd make "decisions" and some personality tweaks so decisions would be more or less optimal for certain things based on personality (i.e. be aggressive, tit for tat, or friendly in diplomacy, two of which are technically suboptimal due to defectors).

Also if anyone is interested in a tester key, PM me. But you will actually need to test and play:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/...20the%20galaxy.

This has been on my wishlist so long I thought it had been cancelled. Good luck with your game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Lawman 0 posted:

Did any of you guys play the Terra Invicta demo?

I started to over my lunch hour but the demo doesn't let you save and it's a 4X and I'm not just gonna leave it running in the background when I'm not playing so nope.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

doctorfrog posted:

pretty telling that no one's mentioned Galactic Civilizations III

Or 4

Doesn't matter, they're all the same game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Great, now I'm mad about Sword of the Stars 2 again.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Atarask posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/437440/Lord_of_Rigel/

Lord of RIgel's demo has dropped after nearly eight years of development hell (three of which after going Thanos on it and redoing it ourselves in UE4).

So hopefully some goons will enjoy it. No promises on the AI actually being great but the utility AI is at least internally consistent with its goals :-)

Nice, congrats!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Started playing Lord of Rigel and I'm liking it quite a bit so far. It's a fun combination of Endless Space 2 and MOO2. Though so far it feels like the AI isn't really doing poo poo but I've only got a couple hours into it and only explored a small section of the galaxy and it's still pretty early game.

My only major complaint is the UI is buggy as hell, I lost count of the number of times I got it into a bad state where you'd have things break and there'd be invisible menus open on the screen or multiple levels of overlapping menus when one hidden behind the other or everything just stops working on the galaxy map until you open and close some other menu. There's also inconsistent ways of closing windows throughout the game, tab usually backs out of menus but sometimes you need to hit escape instead and sometimes neither works and yo have to click close. The build menu also requires confirmation and if you make changes and close the window with tab the changes are silently discarded.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone try GalCiv IV yet? I enjoyed II, barely played III. Granted, after getting into Distant Worlds and Stellaris, it’s hard to go back to either.

It is the same game you've already played multiple times now.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

chaosapiant posted:

After years of playing 4Xs, but never playing either MoO Classic or MoO 2, i'm falling in love with both of these games. I think I do prefer MoO 2 for the better presentation and atmosphere and I like loving with pops. But both games are just so drat elegant in their design it makes me wonder why other 4Xs keep having to get just more and more complicated.

Ironically, it's Distant Worlds Universe that reminds me the most of the original MoOs. It's got that right mix of mystery and atmosphere the original games have.

More Master of Orion questions:

1. How was the remake of MoO? Is it as good as the originals? Or is it just a soul-less knock off type thing?

2. Master of Orion 3: is that any good these days? I know there's been fan-patches to fix tons of issues, but is it actually a good game these days with those patches? I've been reading Libliuni's awesome MoO3 Let's Play, but it's hard to get an idea of how the game plays today, fully patched and what not?

1. Not good. Extremely bland and forgettable IMO.

2. I've tried it a few times but even all patched to hell it wasn't enjoyable for me.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Slyphic posted:

SOTS:1 is on both GOG and Steam. SOTS:2 is not on GOG. I like to think this is because even by the somewhat low standards of GOG, even they can't bring themselves to call it 'good'.

The worst part about playing SOTS2 is seeing how easily it could have been good if the lead developer would have just pulled his head out of his rear end and listened to playtester feedback.

There's core gameplay mechanics that he introduced in 2 that weren't in 1, and they are the cancer at the heart of the game; you can't fully mod them out. If someone ever figures out a way to completely remove both the prototyping and mission systems, it would be buggy but fun.

Every couple years I check for new mods, hoping without reason that someone will find a way.

I should go reread the SotS 2 thread starting from release day, that was such an amazing clusterfuck of bullshit.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

sebmojo posted:

It's literally a tech demo, just skirmish with one race and very bare bones, I refunded it. Give it six months.

This except 3 years.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
All this talk about SotS got me to re-install the SotS1 Complete Edition and it does work in 4K with some jank (changing it to 4K via the settings wasn't working correctly initially). I had forgotten about the forced end turn count down with no option to disable it in settings, you have to edit a text file to turn that annoying poo poo off.

LOL, mecron'd again.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Kinda surprised there hasn't been a good SotS1 clone by now.

e: Actually, there hasn't been a good MOO2 clone either so I don't know why I'm surprised about the other.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 2, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Fangz posted:

Midnight suns rules.

Cynic Jester posted:

Yepp. Not quite XCom2 fun but real close.

Everything outside of actual combat in Midnight Suns is terrible and that's at least half the game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Age of Wonders: Planetfall might also be something you'd like.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
bunch of smac talk going on in here

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

shimmy shimmy posted:

My favorite 4x of all time is Swords of the Stars, a game I had an unholy amount of love for and put an enormous number of hours into. Is there anything that works as a spiritual successor? I've tried the Endless Space games and they didn't retain interest since everything felt very shallow.

Good news, they made a sequel!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/42990/Sword_of_the_Stars_II_Enhanced_Edition/

:evilbuddy:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mokotow posted:

Star Trek Infinite website and trailer are up.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/our-games/star-trek-infinite

It’s literally a Stellaris mod, which doesn’t need to be a bad thing. Without having to develop a game engine, they might have had time to modify Stellaris enough to be a good basis for a Trek game. Then again, I don’t know how far you can stretch that engine. Also, there already us a popular ST mod for Stellaris, right?

Well.. until they get shut down because of this game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Played a couple hours of Stellaris Nexus last night and enjoyed it for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

toasterwarrior posted:

Reposting here since I might as well, even if maaaaybe the genre is a mismatch: anyone been playing Dune Spice Wars? They just came out with a big update adding a run-based campaign mode and I'm interested in finally picking it up. I'm familiar with Northgard so I know their style of game.

I love Dune and strategy games but found it to be pretty meh.