Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Can anyone recommend me a 4x that does not have much micro-management? Or micro that can be automated away?

For reference, I think Civ 6 has way too much micro, but Civ 5 is right at the limit of what I can tolerate when it comes to micro-management.

Also, preferably not sci-fi, space or fantasy, bonus points if it's historical.

It doesn't have to be a recent one at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Added some to my list on Steam!

Especially Old World, Hexarchy, and Steller Monarch seem pretty interesting.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Same. I usually roleplay these things, often taking a suboptimal path if it fits my roleplay better.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm a fan of the auto-build button in ship designers.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

How is Age of History II? Not sure if it's an actual 4x, maybe it's more of a wargame. But it seems interesting.

I may just buy it up when I get home from work as it's only 5 bucks.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

My only experience with Aurora is looking at screenshots and then deciding no thank you.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I think that with Ara there could finally be a real mainstream contender to Civ.

The game looks great.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Interesting! Is it a civ-like game?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Tips for running civ 4 on windows 11?

It just works for me on Win 11.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I really like some of the concepts in Millennia compared to civ.

Such as the way city terrain improvements work, and the fact that new cities you settle don't actually belong to your empire at first, but are vassals.

I'm very positive about the mechanics so far.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

THE BAR posted:

You don't have workers at all. You accumulate points in a construction pool, that can be spent on tile improvements by just clicking the tile in question and picking a thing.

The closest to a worker, in the demo at least, are these outpost guys you can send out and deploy, that put up an area of control, where you can spend construction points on tiles with resources on them and funnel them back to your cities. This is very expensive in points, but you don't have to use a citizen working it, like you would in a proper city.

This is fantastic and what I've always wanted in a civ game. CIv 6 went the opposite way and required constant action and attention from the player.

I'd like to see a civ game that goes all-in with automation or adds some great QOL stuff like the above.

It feels absolutely dumb to control workers manually like I'm their direct boss.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Removed from wishlist

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

kvx687 posted:

... but I'm not sure it's worth $15.

How about €8.24? Which is the price for the next 34 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Mayveena posted:

I looked for a Millenia video from Dastactic but there weren't any. Given the hype for the game I would have thought Paradox would send him a key? That makes me quite nervous about the release tomorrow as Dastactic is generally pretty up front about the games he plays.

Many A True Nerd just wrapped up an entire series on it.