Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

lispy-goon posted:

IIRC, MoO2 has both Death Star-style planet cracking (turned them into asteriod field) and an entire star system destroying-style.

I don't remember there being a system destroying weapon, but there was certainly a system-wide mine field

also MoO2 had the best unit designer, because advancing technology unlocked special traits on existing weapons, and made them smaller/cheaper. There was a reason to keep rushing Physics XI or whatever after exhausting the tech tree, because you could fit more shield-enveloping, armor-piercing, 3x critical damage phasers on your Death Stars

also if you got far enough you could fit the Stellar Converter (Death Ray Laser) on ships smaller than a Death Star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

lispy-goon posted:

Thanks for correcting me. It's been a long time.

To add, you could destroy every planet in a solar system which left it uncolonizable. There was no mechanism to convert asteroid belts into planets without a colony in system. However, a planet needed to be colonized to use the Stellar Converter on it, so I may have committed some war crimes by colonizing a planet, ceding it to an enemy, and then destroying it with the already-orbiting Doom Star

I've played that game a lot