Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

Oh God these look terrible. I hope this "trend" doesn't catch on...

...or at least, if it must, then I hope it will die quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

LordSloth posted:

Serious/Joke brainstorming
Distant Worlds
Theocracy*
Ozymandias*
Warhammer 40k: Gladius
Stellar Monarch
Oriental Empires

On a related note , I never did check out knights of honor ii, not even in video

Civ 4 (seriously, the expansion plus the insanely impressive mod selection that puts 5&6 to shame imo

Honestly, I haven’t put much thought into this list, so take it for what it’s worth

I feel like there should be more and apter suggestions but history 4x is pretty untapped outside of board games, Sid civ, call to power civ and I can’t think of much w/o dipping into the sci-fi well, humankind, at the gates, that old world something or other, and I haven’t slept so I’m not going to actually remember the experience of playing some of these

Thanks for the list, Stellar Monarch looks interesting.

However, are you specifically recommend just the first Stellar Monarch game here, or also its sequel?

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

toasterwarrior posted:

[snip]
I wanna learn the good stuff, though I probably won't be doing crazy intensive micro stuff like supply crawler borehole spam or whatever.
[snip]

But supply crawler *is* the good stuff. ;)

Really, supply crawler and specialized improvements is one of the reason I feel the majority of Civ games post-SMAC are a step backward, terraforming-wise, (until the district idea of Civ 6, but even then it's not really the same). With crawler, you can take city specialization to a whole next level: you can crawled tons of energy to one city and build all energy buildings to turn it into an energy production powerhouse, crawled tons of food into one and turn it into colony pod builders and/or talent city, and of course the classic production city with tons of mineral via crawlers.

Personally, I considered ICS to be an exploit, but not the usage of supply crawler: because while you can make immense gain with supply crawler, it still has massive, in game, drawbacks that you need to be aware/prepared against: war, mind worms, and pollution (which generate mind worms). A supply crawler heavy economy is *very* easy and *very* vulnerable to disrupt with just one or two wandering mind worms, let alone during war, especially once air power come into the game. That food-crawled mega city with 20+ pops of your is very impressive, but even AIs can reduced it to tiny 6 pops city in a couple of turns with just a couple of planes if you're not careful.

But if you want to stick to the basic stuffs, then my basic rule of thumb is to always build improvement that matches the bonus resource on the tile. So farm for food bonus and mine for mineral bonus (energy is a bit trickier).

toasterwarrior posted:

[snip]
hypothetically, a forest on a food bonus tile works out to 3 food, 2 minerals, and 1 energy
[snip]

Yes, but personally, I'd put a farm on that tile because, early game food is very important for growing pop and building colony pods for that all important early land grab.

And later, you can turn your early game city with high food resources into a talent city: which is very powerful and can generate lots of energy and research if build right.

As for the rest: farm + solar + road for rolling (rainy) plain, forest on arid plain, and mines on some rocky tiles.

Also, the style that you want to play is very suited for the Gaia. They are the faction that can avoid supply crawlers and boreholes and still become economic power house. This is due to later researches that increase forest tiles yield to ridiculous level, so much so that at that point you'll want to replace farm and solar on "normal" tiles with forest, except ones with resource bonus. Also, forest reduce pollution, which is nice for everyone because, unlike on our Earth, when you polluted too much on the planet, the planet send killer psychic worms to eat your brain alive (also this is another weakness of the crawler-heavy economy; an ill-time mind worms attack can and will cripple your economy).

Anyway, that my 2 cents. Sorry that my reply is so long, but it's been a long time I get a chance to talk about SMAC/X, my beloved game.

Also, feel free to correct my mistake or suggest better strategy. I'm hardly the expert.

lispy-goon fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 21, 2024

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

What game has the best planet-glassing? I always get such a kick out of building to the biggest ordninance in 4x games. I remember being a kid and rushing straight to the nukes in Civ.

IIRC, MoO2 has both Death Star-style planet cracking (turned them into asteriod field) and an entire star system destroying-style.

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

Vampire Panties posted:

I don't remember there being a system destroying weapon, but there was certainly a system-wide mine field

Thanks for correcting me. It's been a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019
Speaking of Shadow Empire. One of the game's feature that I love and so few 4x or strategy games have is the simulation of a private/civilian sector.

In Shadow Empire, if you look after your cities well enough, the civilians in them will start building various buildings and improvements on their own, using their saved up money.

These civilian buildings/improvements, IIRC, will then provide more bonuses to the civilian sector in your cities, which will result in an increased resources yield, and thanks to how the game handles buildings/improvements, these civilian buildings don't interfere with your owns.

And the neat thing is, you could spend some resources to "appropriate" these civilian buildings, dictator/Soviet-style! It is essentially a simulating of a government taking over private industries by force. Doing this will net you a buildings/improvements for free, in exchange for taking resources from the private sector.

When I played the game and saw all these happened for the first time, I was so surprised and delighted!