Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Why does every space 4x have a ship designer even though the main reason the ship designer was fun in moo2 was bc you could do wacky poo poo in tactical combat like make a pirate fleet with tractor beams or suicide bomb battleships with frigates and none of the other space 4x's include tactical combat so the ship designer ends up just being a feature that you can completely ignore bc everything is getting autoresolved or done in doomstacks anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

MoO2 somehow has an UI that works perfectly with a touch screen. I played the whole game on a dos box emulator on my phone

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I’m kinda surprised that master of Orion and master of magic both spawned entire clone genres but until humankind and old world Civ basically went without competition even as the games seem to have gotten more questionable quality wise

Apparently civ 6 never even got the dll source code released which is why all the mods are basically xml edits. I remember people complaining that V was hard to mod but then 6 seems to have taken another big step back

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 8, 2022

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Wasn’t the moo remake a nearly 1:1 remake except for jettisoning the tactical combat for some real time thing with no direct control
I don’t know why moo clones always think that the combat has to be replaced with something better/streamlined, moo2 combat was fine but I can’t think of any game that just kept it instead of trying to reinvent things and coming up with something worse

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Civ 4 bts had a squad level tactics one with mechs by the guy who eventually did the Xcom reboot

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

OperaMouse posted:

AFAIK, the only significant new thing that was introduced are monopolies corporations. The rest was balancing.

But yes, it's one of my favourite Civ versions.

It was the case for early civ v but not post bnw. JFD’s rise to power is another example of how nuts civ v mods can get, they recreated the entire Victoria 2 politics system with political parties and reforms

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also - I'm playing MOO2 also thanks to my fiancee, and this game really lives or dies based on its combat! The 4X stuff is strictly OK, but mashing ships into each other is really neat. It's like a turn based Starsector. I doubt I'll ever love MOO2 like he does, but I'm having a good time.

It bothers me that even with the dozens of remakes and successors to MOO2, somehow every single time they try to do their own spin of combat and it ends up falling completely flat. Even stuff like ship designers which were originally there to facilitate the tactical combat in moo2 have become genre staples but not the combat itself.

Loved doing all kinds of wacky builds with the ships like making your fleet big drop ships with tractor beams that bum rush the enemy to board their best ships and wreck the remainder with them

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Huh, haegemonia got a 2014 android port. Wonder if it still works

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Ship designers owned in MOO2 bc of the tactical turn based combat and feel superfluous in any game where the combat is glorified autoresolve

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Alternately just make a game with moo style combat again. It’s baffling that moo clones are an entire genre with slavish devotion to recreating mechanics like ship designers but every single one of them has decided that they’ll be the ones to finally make real-time autoresolve work.
Even the moo reboot that was like a 1:1 remake inexplicably decided to do some weird real time thing. Is there like a technical limitation? Like how the original Xcom had that under the hood voxel based cover system that no one wanted to redo?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

On a side note I really wish there was a whole genre of civ clones like there is with moo and master of magic clones. Firaxis keeps getting sloppier every release since they don’t have any competition, civ 6 didn’t even get any code access for mods so all the mods are xml edits

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Are there any 4x’s that let games continue even when players are quit and anyone can drop in to take control of a bot player? I remember civ 4 had public lobbies and the like for that which was nice if you just wanted to play an hour of mindless civ for a bit, but I think they stopped doing it after 4

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Ardryn posted:

There's a video floating around youtube of all the projects back to back and if you take them with the tech quotes early on you see a lot of Miriam, but then she disappears midway or so through it and then re-appears near some endgame stuff like the self-aware colony (We Must Dissent) and the teleportation gate wondering if it remembers to transfer the soul as well. Just all around great writing that really made a ton of SMAC work despite the faults, technical restrictions, and gameplay weirdnesses.

I also love one early game quote that says "Einstein said that God does not play dice." and then a much later quote says "Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded."

I think you can kind of suss out a canon storyline based on the timing and context of the tech quotes. Miriam seems to be beaten early but become a resistance leader and then commit mass suicide with her followers by going through a teleportation gate with no programmed destination. Deirdre seems like the canonical winner with Zakharov as a junior partner and Morgan possibly as a vassal. Deirdre genocides the Spartans pretty early on with mindworms and Yang and Lal fade into irrelevance

There’s a GURPs rpg that goes into a lot of detail about the lore, including explaining what every tech means lorewise, which was pretty cool since you get to learn what the ones with really ambiguous names like “Will To Power” (transhumans become nietzchesian assholes to the normies which makes sociologists have to come up with a way to integrate them better) mean.

Also funnily enough you learn that there’s a bit of 90s end of history brainworms to the lore that wasn’t noticeable in the game, like how Deirdre’s green economy is Angela Merkel style carbon credits.

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 21, 2023

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Dont panzer general type games usually get away with it by having pre placed units on static maps? I imagine having to make a tactical AI for a procgen map for units that are actively produced becomes way tougher

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

You could probably get decent tactical ai if you did master of Orion style tactical battles but itd also get really tedious unless you changed up how stacks/terrain worked in the strategic map

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Been playing moo2 with the ice mod and jeez the psilons really snowball if you don’t take care of them fast. I allied with them and convinced them to attack what was then the highest ranked civ in the game and they just rolled over them

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Been playing LWOTC and while it’s not a 4x the addition of the aliens having their own meta game they’re playing behind the scenes really gives you a sense of expanding and having your missions contribute to an overall plan based on territorial control that you have in 4X’s. The alien meta game is a really cool innovation for Xcomlikes and should be standard in the genre imo bc otherwise you’re just shooting down scripted ufo spawns in sort of a linear fashion

Jagged alliance 2 has a pretty similar thing going with how the Alrucan army has to physically move around the map and gets its resources from its territories

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Is there an ultra nerd gladius mod that adds all the tabletop units? I could have sworn there was at some point

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Been looking at civ 6 since I’m considering getting it for my phone and wow they really went nuts taking features from paradox, huh.

Figure since civ 6 never got proper modding tools I’m not missing much not playing on pc

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Jesus Christ civ 6 on mobile is a mess, I literally can’t download any of the dlc I paid for and this has apparently been a problem for years and they never fixed it. Reinstalled the game about 5 times

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I am liking the what I’m seeing of the mechanics so far though, a lot of paradox game mechanics and they brought back civ 4 health and happiness systems just renamed

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

SlyFrog posted:

Asking sincerely, do any of them create a non-braindead AI?

Like I suck at these games, but immediately stopped playing Civ 6 when I realized the AI just had random units wandering around doing nothing and wasn't really even trying to play the game.

I can't overemphasize how bad the AI seemed even compared to other standard 4x games.

Civ V has better AI in the vox populi mod but the issue is that to mod the AI you need DLL source code access, which was never released for 6

Also for adding new functions and stuff to the game which is why vox populi has a bunch of mechanics that were taken almost wholesale by civ 6

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

What’s the consensus on the empire building in civ 6 vs 5? I’ve been playing civ 6 and while I haven’t gotten far yet, so far it seems a lot more complex. The amenities/housing being basically reskinned Civ 4 happiness/health is a nice addition, since civ 5 making happiness an empire wide thing made your cities seem less differentiated from each other

It’s kinda funny how many mechanics are lifted directly from the vox populi mod though. And then they proceeded to never release DLL access so a vox populi 2 could never be made

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Microplastics posted:

Have they actually lifted that much from Vox Populi?

I guess corporations & monopolies are in now, though i admit I haven't actually played Civ 6 with those so I'm not sure what the similarities are like.

VP had vassalage, I'm fairly sure Civ 6 doesn't. And the way building bonuses work in VP is very different (with many many buildings enhancing certain resources etc).

Envoys are lifted pretty much directly I thought. Along with farm adjacency bonuses and a bunch of other smaller mechanics

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

It’s roughly turn 150 on my first civ 6 gs with all the dlc game, I’m playing on immortal and have 2x the score of my nearest rival bc I conquered two neighbors

I turned on all the special rules from the new frontier pass and I think heroes plus dramatic ages might have snowballed things a bit bc I don’t think being in the renaissance on turn 150 is normal.

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 11, 2023

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I always play with Heroes off, too much luck, especially on faster turn settings

That’s probably fair, I’m guessing the ai doesn’t understand monopolies either?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Didn’t master of magic get a straight remake pretty recently? I remember the main complaints bc the game was too slow paced and needed fast animations

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

It kimda bugs me that theres no graphical variants for buildings and units based on civ but i guess thats something modders can get on

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Does the civ choice in millennia actually do anything? It feels like they’re doing the humankind thing of building your civ as you go but it’s not too clear

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Didn’t civ 4’s combat system with its first strikes and withdrawal chances sort of do similar stuff, only it wasn’t visualized?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Wait is stellaris nexus an actual game? I assumed it was just another lovely clash of clans clone with no real gameplay

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Ship designers were cool in master of Orion since it had tactical combat but baffling in every other space 4x that just has auto resolving stack combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Wasn’t there a weird 4x game where the X’s were in game artifacts that you had to collect