Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm currently replaying a game from my childhood.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/490370/Imperium_Galactica_II/

It holds up surprisingly well. There are a bunch of ideas I wish modern 4X would incorporate, like how planets will mostly grow their cities on their own. You can just sell your ships and tanks on the galactic market once they are obsolete, though other factions may then use them against you. It has a fairly useful spy system. The land RTS portion has a few fun gimmicks, like calling strikes from ships in orbit. Planetary defense cannons will help defend the planet from attacks but if they are destroyed it's likely that surrounding buildings will also have taken hits. You can set a rally point on a fleet and have reinforcements travel there automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I count AI War as a 4X. It's AI War. There's no pretense that the AI isn't a murderous Skynet that will murder you dead. Freed from the requirement to appear like a fair AI, the devs can just go hog wild with AI behaviour.

It also solves a recurring problem of 4X where the AI can't keep up once the player gets going. In AI War, Skynet will push back harder the more of a threat the player is.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If you know how build an economy you should also know how to disrupt it. That knowledge should allow you to disrupt a rival's economy. That doesn't work if the AI just blatantly cheats. It's very unsatisfying to learn that something that would have crippled a faction normally doesn't work just because it's the computer controlling it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I watched a few Millennia videos and it seems interesting. I am so starved for a good 4X after the disppointment of Humankind…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Starsector is pretty cool, so it's not a bad recommendation. Still, I feel annoyed every time I rediscover that the combat AI in Starsector manages to pilot small ships more competently than I can…