Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Mode 7 posted:

This hits the nail on the head for me, so many of the new 4Xes that I see feel like identical cookie-cutter designs with vaguely changed art assets. Has there been anything recent that's really played around with the genre/mashed up with other genres in an interesting way?

Stellaris tweaked the formula a bit by having actual galaxy wide crisis level threats. On their worst day the Antarians in MOO2 would sack one system. Stellaris has massive endgame threats that can require the whole galaxy to defeat. I can't think of another 4x game with that mechanic.

Unfortunately, what Stellaris does NOT do is have a solution to the micromanagement hell most 4x space games find themselves in. Managing one planet is fun but managing 100 planets is a chore. MOO2's solution was to just have fewer planets which worked for the time. Stellaris lets you put planets in sectors but the crap AI means they'll never run as efficiently as they would if you ran them yourself. Is there a 4x that ever managed to square that circle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU