Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It doesn't help that Space 4X can't spice things up with terrain. It's far more engaging when you can move units behind a hill or cross a river or get higher ground, but in space all you can do is... drift through the featureless void :geno:

Well, kinda. Stellaris, for example, has black hole, pulsar and nebula systems, so you can fight an enemy in a system where there's no such thing as shields (pulsar), ensure a crushing victory as long as you win since the enemy can't retreat (black hole), or hide a fleet and lay an ambush (nebula).

That said, I've never actually seen a battle decided by the use of such terrain, so it could be better implemented in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Saros posted:

Nifty! One of the frustrating things about Stellar Monarch was that the autonomous fleets didnt quite work right and you had to micro them a lot to acheive good results.

Is there a guide for this somewhere? This baffled me when I was trying to learn the game but I otherwise liked it