Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I loved DW:U, but the game kept crashing in the late stages, presumably because it would eventually run out of memory once the galaxy got populated enough. Hopefully that won't be an issue with the second game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Beamed posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Stardock is still around. Between Wardell being a shitlord, all of their games being huge failures since Elemental's release, and Kael being hired and..never really doing much, I don't really know what's keeping them going. Been a long time since GalCiv2's release and they were praised for being the only strategy company with good AI.

Stardock also does non-gaming software which I assume gives them some steady revenue, though I haven't followed Stardock in like a decade+ so I couldn't say what their current lineup there is like.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
From the description on the store page it sounds more like a connect the dots puzzle game than a 4X strategy game, especially the part where each game only takes about an hour to finish.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I think if you let it go neutral, then conquer it with your army and hand it back to the original owner, it'll never experience loyalty loss from your cities again.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Omi no Kami posted:

I'd appreciate some super-quick feedback on a few impulse buys I'm considering before the sale wraps up.

Master of Orion 2: I constantly hear this touted as one of the gold standards of the genre, but it's pretty long in the tooth. Is it worth picking up today, or have its innovations been done better in more recent, UX-ier titles?

It's rare in that the shipbuilder has some really interesting options that you can customize your ships with, like focusing on boarding enemy ships to steal them mid-combat. The AI is kinda bad, but *waves in the direction of thread title*. Really late-game fights can drag on since each ship is controlled individually and fleets can get pretty big near the end. Also, the galaxy map music is incredibly monotonous, so bring your own. I still feel like it's one of the best 4X games, warts and all, and I'd love a new version that improved upon what is in the existing game instead of adding a thousand new features.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It's not terrible if you want more of a sandbox-like experience with space themeing, but as a strategy game it's pretty disappointing.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

THE BAR posted:

Even the remaster of MoM is, regrettably, without multiplayer.

The multiplayer MoM meta would be "be the first to research Time Stop" :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Most Civilization games had the same issue, but at least they also had a setting for skipping or speeding up animations. I think most semi-modern strategy games have that, so if the new MoM doesn't that's a strange oversight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Xlorp posted:

Stellaris is potentially next on my list to try. But the DLC is pricy so I need to know the bare minimum to get to give the game a fair shake.

Stellaris DLC has a subscription that gives you all the DLC for a month, for the price of buying a single story pack. At this point in the game's lifecycle with the huge amount of DLC it's gotten, I think I'd go that route rather than trying to buy the 4-5 "essential" DLCs. Especially since you might end up not liking the game in the first place.