Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

One game I go back to every year or so is Civilization 4: Colonization. It's an official total conversion of Civ4 that's a remake of the the much older Sid Meier's Colonization. It's a refreshing and innovative take on a 4x where you play as a European expedition to the New World in 1492. You set up a colony, establish an economy, manage relations with the natives and rival colonies, export trade goods to Europe, import colonists, weapons, and tools, and the end game is to eventually declare independence and weather the resulting invasion from your distant king. It's heavy on economics and logistics, no research tree at all, and all in the hex-free Civ4 engine.

I like that it feels compact, deep, and laser focused on a particular historical era. Other than it's graphical and mechanical similarities, the rules are almost entirely different from Civ as well. I can't really think of another game quite like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Terra Invicta finally clicked into place for me over the weekend and dear god someone, please, send help. I have a career, a house, a family. I can’t be spending all this time theorycrafting how to overthrow the Chinese government or how to launch a payload to Jupiter before my rivals do.