Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
And Moo2 was great for the endgame with the battles against the Antarans.

XCOM and XCOM2 have a 4x overlay on top of the tactical game as well.

That said, I never get the same sense of achievement in, say, Stellaris when I beat one of the "endgame" events. Maybe because the game doesn't end when you've succeeded?

It's really the storytelling that makes a game compelling- either what the game provides (Alpha Centauri) or what stories it allows you to tell on your own ("My amphibious assault back in 1530 really brought down the Romans.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Chomp8645 posted:

No XCOM title is even remotely a 4X game as anyone anywhere understands them to be, except maybe yourself.

Well, I've always considered myself to be free and easy.

Seriously, though, that's fair. You do expand and exterminate, though. 2X?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I just remember winning MOO1 with the my Alkari bros sticking by my side through thick and thin. I loved those guys!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think from a purely empire management view (and not war or whatever), it's more interesting to spend 90% of your time on developing colonies/cities/whatever. After some point, they should be pretty much self-sustaining unless there's an event or a special building or whatever that you choose to build there.

You can always shake this dynamic up for the mid or endgame from tech or society or whatever. In the original Colonization, it was fun to shift from developing your colonies to getting everything ready for a war with your home country.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

That's fine if there's some kind of complex gameplay or decision-making involved in development but there never is, it's clicking the button to queue up a factory worth +10 industry points in each of your 600 cities, because after your first city where you can't initially afford it it's always the optimal choice to build that factory, then doing it all again once you've researched Factory II

Cow Clicker mighta demonstrated that people are willing to call that playing a game, but I don't think we can jump from there to calling it good game design

Well, if it's colony/city development in a vacuum, that's one thing, but hopefully there are other things that are interesting as well- exploration, combat, etc. And you're right- variation and unique development choices make for more interesting gameplay. I think people get a little wary when they feel like they're sacrificing general prosperity for some specific path (i.e. this industrial-built city doesn't make food, as an example), so that balance is important too.