Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Darkrenown posted:

Speaking of planets, can I reduce Corruption besides by researching and building the Planetary admin buildings? Upgrades are not so common and my homeworld's income is down like 50%.

You can peg your planet tax rate to 20%, going over that ups corruption. I'm not sure the math on that though, probably end up losing out on revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

On a side note, I also can't figure out how to change a fleet's home base.

Select fleet, find planet that you want to change home base to, right click and hold on planet, use dropdown to set home base.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

orangelex44 posted:

The genre needs more games like Sid Meier's Colonization, and less that are just retreads of Civ or MOO. Not that I want a remake per se of Colonization, but the concept should be explored more: a game where the player has a more defined goal than just "blob forever", combined with logical restrictions and an endgame boss. Everyone acknowledges that the early parts of 4x are fun while the endgame is poo poo; you'd think after thirty years of trying someone would have figured out that the logical answer isn't to keep failing at making a good endgame, but to change things so that there isn't a "classical" 4x endgame.

I find it slightly funny that you'd call out Sid Meier's Colonization as an example of something to try to reproduce...because there was a remake of Colonization in the ?Civ 4? engine, and the mechanics were just slightly off enough from the original that it really just fell flat. Also something about the way the graphics for the original (while DOS graphics) seemed to fit whereas the graphics/UI for the remake just made it lose the tone entirely.

When you've got a clearly-defined end-goal besides just 'paint the map' it seems like 4x'es starts crossing genres into something closer to puzzle games; less about developing a world in the manner you want and more about min-maxing to reach the goal.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Travic posted:

I went through as many patch notes as I could find and I didn't see anything about making it easier so maybe I'm imagining it. They apparently even nerfed Spire ships too.

But before I got the expansions it was soul crushingly difficult. Now I'm flying through it. I dont know. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure there was something about the giant fuckoff lasers on spire ships not hitting things correctly in AI War 2 that they patched at some point (mayhaps around here talking about 'coil beam' https://wiki.arcengames.com/index.php?title=AI_War_2:Finalizing_Multiplayer#3.202_General_Bugfixing ). After which spire ships giant fuckoff lasers started working correctly and they had to nerf the spire ships.

Yeah, that patch note says it was doing 1400% extra damage, but that 1400% extra damage meant nothing because the beams weren't actually hitting their targets prior to the fix.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

SoTS2 is proof that the developer had no idea what made SoTS1 good.

There haven't been any spiritual sequels that I'm aware of; apparently 3d star maps are unappealing to developers who would rather make everything a 2d space map with the same formula as land-based games.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Weird way to spell Quark.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Libluini posted:

"Raiding Nomads" would be a better name for what pirates are in DW2, imho

100%

DW2 is really good at capturing the feel of a space empire that runs itself...but the fact that so much can be automated (or maybe it's that it starts out automated?) almost makes it feel more like an idle game where you just have to nudge things every once in awhile.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Zurai posted:

And now that there isn't a lame duck FTL type that's just strictly worse in every way that matters.

But enough about hyperlanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Well yeah, you've got to grow the trees first before you can burn them in the factories.