Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Master of Magic is getting a remake from Slitherine and Muha Games for sometime in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I don't play the game rn but looking at various DW2 LPs you also shouldn't spam colonies on every possible world, low quality ones especially, you'll be in the red on them nearly forever and they're a huge drag on the economy. Settle a few high-quality ones only, unless maybe you need a particular planet for a special resource or trait or something.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
quoting myself:

Neophyte posted:

since there isn't a dedicated Aurora thread I'll put it here, even though most of you probably already know

Aurora 2.0 patch is out! http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=13018.0 (this is actually the 2.0.1 .exe now)

2.0 change list http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.0

note this isn't savegame compatible with 1.13, you have to replace the db, so it's out for this game

obv. there will be more bugs discovered as people play it, so if that kind of thing frustrates you then you should probably wait a bit

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Dreamsicle posted:

Is there a good guide for Aurora 4x? The wiki seems a little sparse and the video guides I see are years old.

Eh not really. I'd recommend reading the Aurora forums looking at the Academy subforum, and also watching some recent LPs of the game - Defran Strategy on Youtube comes to mind, they show off the newer updates to the game. Aurora's changed so much since the early days I'm not sure how much help the old guides or wiki would be anymore to a brand new player.

I kind of want to make a general Aurora 4x thread here for this very reason, but :effort: and also I'm not really very good at actually playing it.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Libluini posted:

I never even got to play Aurora. Three times now I started up preparing a game with several hand-crafted star systems filled with hand-crafted alien races, only to get sidetracked doing poo poo like changing a planet's albedo or coming up with an officer naming scheme for this alien race I wanted to play as, and then eventually I burn out without ever starting a game.

Yes!!!

quote:

Sometimes less is more, I think.

No!!! :argh:

Seriously that's kind of why I love Aurora - there's so much worldbuilding and theorycrafting ships in it that just the beginning of game setup is entertaining to me.

This is the same reason I never finish an RPG, I spend too much time in the character creation menu reinventing myself over and over.

I....may have a problem.

edit: the way to get around never actually playing Aurora is to find some sucker who's doing an LP of Aurora and read along - you get most of the fun and none of the drudgery. I mean, look at this poor sap

bgreman posted:

Maybe for the ten year anniversary of the Coldest War's abandonment I'll make some real progress on it. Or do it by hand.
:sickos:

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
99% of Aurora's fun for me is theorycrafting spaceships and I will never apologize for it!
the other 1% is genociding aliens