Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
possibly unpopular opinion: 4X in general should have the 'board' be more of a player and/or should be more willing to jostle the player's house of cards with events outside of their control. it's likely a tough balance to strike, you don't want a player chugging along just fine to have their empire drop into a hole suddenly, but at least in my experience games are a bit too afraid to have the player(s) forced to react to something that isn't a war declaration. a good example of this might be the grand menances from Sword of the Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Shadowlz posted:

I don't even thing I've ever even finished a 4x let alone win one. I will say I win in spirit since I get to the point where all I have to do to win is mop up the map but :effort:

on of the greatest secrets to enjoying 4x is knowing when to quit, yeah. Which 4xes remain engaging all the way to the end? I can't think of any outside of stuff where you can mess around being totally busted for fun, like MoO2 or MoM or something.

May 8, 2006

Shadow Empire looks really cool but is just on the other side of the grog line for me, though close enough I'll probably take the jump at some point

But it reminds me: did anyone else get into Armageddon Empires? I never got a great hold on it but remember having a good time

May 8, 2006

The 4x tier list:

S: Explore
A: Expand
B: Exterminate
C: Exploit

May 8, 2006

imo more 4x games should steal SotS' grand menaces and generally just be willing to introduce big problems onto the board and force players to scramble. i know stellaris does it but i've rarely managed to care about a game of stellaris long enough for it to occur.