Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Somebody could walk into this room
And say your life is on fire
It's all over the evening news
All about the fire in your life
on the evening news

What a thing to wake up to.

I don't know exactly what I'm going to do yet but I can't imagine sticking around for much longer if the forums ownership doesn't change. I'm on B&R and Shengji's thing if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

what's the forums equivalent of a precinct we can burn down

I suppose we could poo poo up a random thread?

WHOSE FORUMS OUR FORUMS

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yinlock posted:

posting refugees setting off down the digital oregon trail

Fleeing the Lowtax tyranny, the last Postingstar, CSPAM, leads a ragtag fleet on a lonely quest, for a shining planet known as B&R.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not for nothing, it really sucks that a domestic abuse case is being litigated in real time in front of a live international audience. Unavoidable, and I don't think anyone involved (except Lowtax obv) is doing anything wrong but yeah.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Eminent Domain posted:

Lurked here and there.

The video is textbook cycle of domestic abuse, it's incredibly common for the survivor to recant (usually under pressure by the abuser).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was spurred on by seeing the tirefire the patreon and website is now.

Yeah, and the thing to be clear about here is he doesn't need to be sitting offscreen with a rifle to be coercing her. He doesn't even need to actively do anything to be coercing her. The creation of an abusive relationship is itself the coercion, and her financial well-being having been tied to both him and SA can't be helping.

This is just all so loving terrible.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

For reasons of safety there are things I haven't posted here but basically, contacting Logan has been made more difficult than simply sending her a text.

In a good way or in a bad way?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, poo poo.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

LK you served cpsam as admirably as any other and caught a lot of poo poo for it.
Good on you for doing the right thing this one last time

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

It's pretty cool to release an announcement to say nothing. Well, I suppose confirming Logan got/is getting out is something big as not everyone will have seen that. Still. It almost feels like admins & mods just like secrecy for secrecy's sake.

There are probably legitimate reasons not to make concrete-but-incomplete plans public til they're ready to go but yeah it's frustrating. (For them as well, I'm sure!)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This community is valuable and unique and it is difficult to just walk awa-

(Raises voice to talk over twenty years of old forums grudges resurfacing at once)

I SAID THIS COMMUNITY IS VALUABLE AND UNIQUE AND

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm choosing the path of cautious optimism.

FOR NOW.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Eh, what's there to lose? Either things work out in which case hooray, or they don't in which case we're right back here.

I am, to paraphrase someone above, not extending said optimism to any monetary donations (besides lol I don't have any money)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

WampaLord posted:

For the record, Jeffrey repeatedly ignored me during the whole PPJ saga when I kept trying to explain why C-SPAM was angry and what he could do to help the situation.

It was very frustrating.

He very briefly decided that I was the Official CSPAM Spokesperson (much to everyone's, including and especially mine, disbelief and dismay) because I'd written some dumb effortpost fueled entirely by insomnia and existential despair.

That was a weird couple of days.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I kinda like PJ but still letthemfight.gif

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

pls rename the thread internet culture War The Contours and horrors of which you don’t understand

This should honestly be the new SA subtitle, replacing "The Internet Makes You Stupid"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Anyways I’m going to be honest with you guys. I love you all - I love the vast majority of D&D posters here, still. I had a great time modding here, and god willing, I will get to post here.

But right now, until we get official announcements and stuff, I know about as much as you all do. I found out about the announcement last night about 20 minutes before it happened. I’m not some authority anymore.

If Lowtax is gone, and I was offered, and the community accepted, I would come back as mod. But until then, I wait for the deal to be real and complete.

I know it's been said a few times already, but you really went above and beyond throughout this entire mess, and it's very much appreciated.

I think you'd be a valuable voice among what new moderation team rises from these particular ashes but I wouldn't blame you one bit if you just wanted to rest a while.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wheeee posted:

lol

tbf i dont think theres any grand admin conspiracy, and most mods aren't even bad actors, just out of their depth yet determined to hold tight to control they feel entitled to, whether that entitlement comes from a place of narcissism or genuine misunderstanding; nobody is entitled to mod status, and when one has lost the faith of a large subset of posters, them not stepping down has never and will never go over well

I respect your having stuck to your principles and stepping down, and on balance you were one of the good ones.

Yeah, to be honest I think a lot of stuff, like 80% of the mod-related trouble we've had, comes down to people acting on bad information.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have it on good authority from my own eyeballs that it's become a cartoon with Good-Hearted FYAD posters being unjustly banned by Sicko Mods going YES HA HA HA YES with Weeping Lady Liberty typing up a post just asking questions about AGP.

Kelly sits in the corner saying "gently caress You And Bye"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

docbeard posted:

I have it on good authority from my own eyeballs that it's become a cartoon with Good-Hearted FYAD posters being unjustly banned by Sicko Mods going YES HA HA HA YES with Weeping Lady Liberty typing up a post just asking questions about AGP.

Kelly sits in the corner saying "gently caress You And Bye"

Slow day at work so enjoy this artist's rendition of the Reconciliation Thread:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I never really felt strongly about whether FYAD should stay or go but I also kind of don't really see why the only way to shoot the poo poo with your posting buddies is in an environment where none of the site's rules and standards can ever apply to you and you can bully anyone else on the site with impunity oh and also you take credit every time a scandal breaks about a bad moderator.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They probably weren't actually Nazis, though

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well they've now remembered CSPAM exists and how we're all a bunch of homicidal maniac domestic terrorists so hooray for that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

an actual dog posted:

why are you talking about forums drama in the Simpsons thread?

That Simpsons episode where Moe the Bartender listened to a drunk patron from Shelbyville go on and on and on about how Muslims were inherently evil and said "good points, my friend, why can't all my patrons be as well-spoken as you" was pretty weird.