Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

At no point did anyone on the mod team realize they if the Nazis figured out who the spy was (or the spy was just also a Nazi) than they could just feed into to the spy, the info could be fed to SA and the intended victims, and end up just doing the Nazis work for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Frog Act posted:

honestly why would lowtax immediately pivot to go on a horrible odious right-wing racist podcast that tweets racism and calls people cucks, does he just want to cement the permanent alienation and hatred of everyone here or does he honestly think that's a good opportunity to clear the air

The pattern of behavior does seem to be that he thinks he's never done anything wrong. That maybe the worst thing he has done is tell don't jokes that didn't land. So it's the latter, he thinks this lets him tell his side of the story. I'm sure he's also addicted to being some minor celebrity so he's going to love having alt-right chuds loving him until they turn on him for some stupid reason. The only thing they like fighting more than women is each other.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

twoday posted:

If I do so, I think it is only because I've interacted with them more, and in a wider array of contexts, and thus have more to go on when forming my impressions, and informing my decisions about whether or not to trust them when they tell me things.

This is the problem. Right there you've expressed that the community you're closest to isn't the larger one that you moderate but the smaller one of your fellow moderators. So even without meaning to you've ended up protecting them when they were in the wrong. And that's not just you. It's pretty much every mod for a while now because it's a systemic problem. The mods trust the mods more than the community and that leads to the problem where everyone else in SA is treated as a problem to solve instead of a community of people who generally want the same thing.

Edit: to clarify, I think you trust the community but you obviously trust mods more.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'd personally do it old school town meeting style. Once a year or after x number of months a sub would have a discussion thread about the sub, what people want, and would pick their mods.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

twoday posted:

Well I'm not saying I trust them more than any random person posting here. I'm saying I trust them more than you trust them, because I have reason to. I try to listen to all sides of a story before making any judgements, and unfortunately there are privacy reasons that prevent me from explaining to you how I came to each of my conclusions, so instead I'm just trying to share with you the the way I come to those conclusions and the way I think, to give you a better idea of whether I myself am trustworthy or not, and I'm happy to admit my imperfections here

I get that and I think you're doing the best job you can right now. The problem isn't you, twoday. It's a culture and attitude that has been allowed to settle in and it causing all of us to think in some awful ways. We just have to work together to change that. It's been the drum I've been banging, that we need to stop looking at each side as a problem to solve.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, there is similar psychology at play but on a way smaller scale. If anyone actually truly thinks the mods are cops please grow some sense of perspective.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fly Molo posted:

i don’t think anyone believes the mods are literally murdering people and driving tanks while getting paid piles of OT cash

id respect them more if they were

I also don't but I've seen crazier poo poo on this website. I think it's cool to make comparisons because I think the problem is similar, more solidarity between a secret inside group than with the larger group they're supposed to be helping. But obviously the mods are not cops. I don't know what else to call it but you see the same mentality in cults, companies that are really abusive, and lots of other really lovely situations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Culture of silence is good. It's the shared secrets that do it. The inner group has secrets the outer group can't know for the outer groups protection. The inner group trust the outer group but they trust each other more. And they know that if the outer group knew "the secrets" they would have a very different opinion about the inner group and they would realize that the inner group is just trying to protect them. But they don't know the secrets so they're working with bad info which means none of the criticism is real and you don't need to take it seriously or look into that thing they said about your buddy in the inner group.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

cool dance moves posted:

Hahahahahaha lowtax doesnt have a lawyer does he. He has his mom, and hes 100% been lying to her

Whoever the lawyer is he's lying to them. He's too stupid and prideful to know that your lawyer needs to actually know the bad poo poo to help you.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

logan came in and posted a pic of her feet on lowtax's face

It's this and that posting that isn't a stellar legal idea which I think everyone realized. This doesn't sound like anything nefarious.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

And it's not like they didn't get a new forum out of this. QCS is letting them talk about all the stuff they love.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dustcat posted:

yeah. fyad was fundamentally a trolling forum and lived for internet drama, until the temptation to poo poo where you eat grew too strong to resist i guess

i'm not super hopeful that jeffrey will find a way to keep trolls and the people they like to troll happy on the same forums, but we'll see

Yeah, from my point of view the problem was never totally the racist or bigoted stuff. I think people came at it with an understanding of what fyad was, told them to cut it out because it was starting to cross the line, and fyad lost their poo poo at the idea they were accountable to anyone.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I hesitate to comment on this topic because I can already hear the wolves circling but I will point out that, while this and the preceding posts about FYAD are all true, it IS unfair that they got tarnished as Nazis, rather than merely a bunch of dicks who didn’t care what people thought of them.

and that’s all I’d like to say about that*

*this movie is older than me

Yeah sure ok but maybe people shouldn't be super shocked they got confused for being a nazi because they were standing next to one friend who was in his nazi costume for a laugh and another friend who was in his nazi costume because he is in fact a nazi.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

all the responses to that are fair and I’m posting to acknowledge them, but I don’t have anything else significant to add at the moment

To be fair too, you're not wrong. I don't think they're all Nazis. I never thought that and really thought all of this was about how they handled being asked to cut some poo poo out. I do however think FYAD has some really hateful people who have used it as cover. I also think FYAD's response to those people being pointed out was that it was more important their hateful friends gets to stick around than the victims of their hateful friends.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

an actual dog posted:

I'll concede a little bit here but I'm also glad I never have to read a CB post again.

"But you got to admit, the harassment gets results!"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The reconciliation thread taking less than 24 hours to become a discussion of the merits of AGP and less than 48 to become a celebration of harassment is something else.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A Russian troll farm posted:

Can those of us who've been off the grid get a recap on the latest drama?

Turns out Lowtax is a horrible abuser who hits women. It also turns out if an abuser builds a website to their whims than every part of that website ends up structured to help facilitate abuse.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 1, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kind of just seems like a general "don't poo poo where you eat" thing.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Cyrano thread and the Reconciliation thread should be printed out and hung up next to each other like some sort of art piece.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it is characteristic of liberalism and other kinds of metaphysical forms of thinking, or "black and white" thinking, or fundamentalists vs. revisionists in the church. of course words do matter and have an effect on the world, but simply renouncing your past views -- while necessary self-criticism -- doesn't really mean much. it's like believing that having the "good opinions" or "good ideas" is what determines objective reality -- that's liberalism. whereas if you're actively engaged in anti-fascist research and building something roughly equivalent of a database so people don't knowingly give money to racists and threepers in the gun industry, that has a material effect, and if you're a materialist then you believe that materials are the objective reality and people learn / improve by interacting with that reality by working with it, experimenting, and getting feedback from that process. not afraid to admit this.

Just go tell your friend to write an apology that actually uses the word sorry and doesn't make the reader do the work of figuring out if he's actually done good work or not.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Quetzadilla posted:

I'm not caught up on the thread but if the "well-cited" racist screed Cyrano was applauding was about black-on-black violence you would (I hope) be much less inclined to carry water for him, which you should seriously reflect on. Trying to defend Cyrano on this for any reason means you are AT BEST terminally inclined to defend your modmin pals which is how this whole shitshow began, but it also seems likely that you just plain do not understand what's so virulently offensive and toxic about the screed in question.

Also it was from 2017 so "lmao"

I wasn't joking when I kept saying Cyrano should at least go back and write a better apology. I think he made TFR a lot better so it's super embarrassing that the dude can't use those skills to come back, make a better apology, and have an actual dialogue with people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ymvD6yW1U

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

yeah but this isn't a video game where your good karma points balance out your bad karma points

it's like the "well X poster makes good effort posts sometimes" defense for when they're making terrible lovely posts attacking people, I don't care about their good acts if the bad acts are bad enough

Sure and that's why I think the first thing he needs to do is a better apology that actually explains how he's better. People are going to make mistakes and a zero tolerance approach isn't really tenable because mistakes happen. But they should only happen once. If the dude can explain why it was a mistake, what the problem was, and what he has done to make sure it doesn't happen again than I'm a lot more likely to believe the mistake isn't going to happen again. Combine that with how he's run TFR and that would make me believe it won't happen again and really was a one time gently caress up with really bad judgement.

But he needs that better apology so right now he kind of just looks like a guy who just knows that everyone is mad and it's bad when everyone is mad at you. He doesn't understand why.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also rewatching the early seasons of the Simpsons is one of the few things keeping me going through pandemic

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

dex_sda posted:

shut the gently caress up about offsite drama lmfao

this site has plenty enough homegrown

At least argue using simpsons memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Homer looks loving weird in the new episodes