Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Destroy Lowtax and salt his remains so nothing more may grow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
there's no need to add salt, he's doing a good job making himself salty

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Perhaps the sale of the forums is an effort to create distance before Lowtax is announced as the 202X Democratic favorite for governor or something.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Perhaps the sale of the forums is an effort to create distance before Lowtax is announced as the 202X Democratic favorite for governor or something.

Of Missouri? Is he racist enough for that? I haven't followed anything lowtax in a long time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/H3yY0000/status/1296886044722429960

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
In fairness to the wifebeating shitstain, that's a temporary restraining order. IIRC, aren't those granted basically 100% of the time, on the basis of "oh poo poo, a kid might be in trouble so let's do this while we sort it all out?" No judge wants to be the one who denied a restraining order request and then a kid goes missing/is found in a ditch.

Please don't take this post as actually defending the horrid piss-stain on the face of the world that is Lowtax. Just a poke at accuracy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I want the sale to be over so I don't have to care.
Or cancelled so I can be over the website.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It ain’t like selling a car or even a house though. This stuff taking months is not at all unusual. Especially if both sides have lawyered up.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Still Dismal posted:

It ain’t like selling a car or even a house though. This stuff taking months is not at all unusual. Especially if both sides have lawyered up.

Double especially if the books are incoherent and/or nonexistent.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

Double especially if the books are incoherent and/or nonexistent.

Considering how Lowtax dealt with his taxes (very poorly, ha ha), I'm fully convinced his "books" are a bunch of handwritten notes stuffed into an old folder, which then was hidden in a crate in his basement. And the crate is nailed shut.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Double entry accounting means you stop after the second line right?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
No no, it's when you keep two separate sets of books. Y'know, so you and the IRS can each have your own without having to share.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Considering how Lowtax dealt with his taxes (very poorly, ha ha), I'm fully convinced his "books" are a bunch of handwritten notes stuffed into an old folder, which then was hidden in a crate in his basement. And the crate is nailed shut.

Probably woke up and punched them too.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
its hard to keep up to date with accounting when youre constantly embezzeling money and fueling a painkiller addiction

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Uwe Boll messed him up bad

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
still got supporters on the livestream, still havent closed the deal here, still not convinced lowtax doesnt try to post thru it

Gigadweeb
Sep 3, 2020
christ I just got here and I'm already finding out I pretty much just paid an abuser to shitpost on a secret club wtf

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gigadweeb posted:

christ I just got here and I'm already finding out I pretty much just paid an abuser to shitpost on a secret club wtf

Yeah, it's not exactly news that help you sleep in the night. It's why I donated some bucks to a local women's help organization.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gigadweeb posted:

That's a good thematic introduction to this website yes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gigadweeb posted:

Never has Lurk More been more apt.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Gigadweeb posted:

Essentially yeah. If you're new here here is the history:

2000-2010
Forums grow, forums prosper, forums are a vibrant thing at the forefront of the internet

2010-2020
The Age of Gold turns into the Age of Brass. Forums slowly rust, like an old car on a lawn

2020-???
Lowtax is revealed to be a serial abuser. The forums wait to hear if he will actually go away.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

2000-2010
Forums grow, forums prosper, forums are a vibrant thing at the forefront of the internet

2010-2020
The Age of Gold turns into the Age of Brass. Forums slowly rust, like an old car on a lawn

2020-???
Lowtax is revealed to be a serial abuser. The forums wait to hear if he will actually go away.

Curiously enough I registered in 2010. I’m sure it’s coincidence tho

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

2000-2010

2010-2020

2020-???

Was the forum free of abuse in the vibrant times, or was it just ignored?

Cause based on my experience with most long running web forums, i'm guessing the latter

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Was the forum free of abuse in the vibrant times, or was it just ignored?

Cause based on my experience with most long running web forums, i'm guessing the latter

lol SA was popular because it was wild west back then

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's hard to compare social norms from twenty years ago with today. Some people have evolved along with society and some haven't.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

dex_sda posted:

lol SA was popular because it was wild west back then

That's a really simplistic view that most modern historians no longer angree with because that time period also included SA's most restrictive period when you would get banned for using improper punctuation or expressing any kind of non-orthodox political views. Most of the user base actually left when these restrictions were brought down by the Oobie's Og Ouse disaster. Today's tiny user base is more or less the post-apocalyptic remains of the pre-Doobie forums, similar to what the first Spanish explorers found in the Amazonas after the columbian exchange had ravaged the continent's population.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This forum, right here, d&d? You used to have to back up your claims with facts and articles and poo poo. And you couldn't tell someone to gently caress off, ever.

We used to be a bastion against the horde of stupid. Now we're just a bastion against fascism, and we're not even good at it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

GABA ghoul posted:

by the Oobie's Og Ouse disaster

The what now?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
All I remember was a "stick up the rear end" period that was eventually lifted.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

All I remember was a "stick up the rear end" period that was eventually lifted.

The "stick up the rear end" phase was firmly the "forums slowly rusting on a lawn" phase.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

The what now?

The Oobie's Og Ouse disaster

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I think they leave that one out of the textbooks in Texas

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
I feel as if it was a one-two punch between the Doobie drama and Aatrek’s “Mods Knew” stuff that brought on the exodus; a lot of trust was lost with the Mods between those two events.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Premeditated Toast posted:

I feel as if it was a one-two punch between the Doobie drama and Aatrek’s “Mods Knew” stuff that brought on the exodus; a lot of trust was lost with the Mods between those two events.

You also had the destruction of old GBS and a couple big mod crackdowns at the same time, which I’m sure contributed.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cornwind Evil posted:

The what now?

Doobie's Dog House was a thing like 8 years ago. It was a kickstarter for an (I think) Alabama guy who wanted to start some sort of premium hot dog truck. The guys' folksy charm won over a couple of the moderators and they stickied a thread to signal boost him in GBS. They wound up getting the guy like 14 thousand dollars (Including one guy who gave 1k like, right before Christmas). The guy took the money, decided gently caress the truck and tried to open a proper restaurant, launched a second kickstarted to fund a grill hood and fire suppression system for the building, and then vanished.

Goon's got pissed and called out the moderators that were signal boosting a perceived scam artist (fun note, he did *eventually* wind up opening his restaurant, and it was lovely and awful and went out of business in 2016) . Mods and admins gassed and banned anyone who brought it up. A bunch of GBS people quit the forums because of it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lmao, please also mention that he was racist and homophobic. And that the 1k that one goon donated was their saved christmas money for the kids' presents and that he had to cancel christmas for the kids after the donation. Also, Doobie and his wife made rap videos dissing various forum enemies at some point. That's a very important part of the story, you can't just leave that out

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The cancelling christmas was so funny because the guy tried to defend it saying his children were older and they understood it was better to donate that money to a worthy cause. So instead of donating it to like a homeless shelter or food bank they donated it to a hillbilly huckster and his hot dog stand dream lmao.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Jackbooted cat ladies and Aatrek being a pedo drove me away from the forums for a few years and I'm so sorry I missed this