Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

WatermelonGun posted:

dickeye’s off-site is bad?!?

it’s worse than that, it’s v bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
2020 sucks

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What a shame, I hope the place survives as I think SA has some of the best forums I've ever known, dead gay forum etc aside.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

MotU posted:

its not good, fam

Well, I dunno what else to do then. Maybe my posting will make it good. That will be difficult since my posting is bad, but I'll do what I can.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

make a forum for me to post on. i want at least 100 people there who all post and keep up with it. no compromises

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It wouldn't be proper without Cavauro.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This poo poo sucks. gently caress Lowtax.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I have been here since 2002. Dear lord.

Honestly I hate discord. Plus, this place I can get all my cool zone news, talk about canada, keep up on the terriblenes of the entertainment and comic industries, see how messed up we are with climate change, read, listen and learn about the experiences of all sorts of people, poo poo post in wrestling forums, keep tabs on the emergency broadcast roleplayers and look at cute cat pictures.
Where else am I going to be able to do all that? Join 15 discord servers and try to scroll and find good information every day?

I dunno. People probably aren't going to miss me but I am not sure how a transfer to somewhere else would work for me.

Since 2004 here :smith:

I agree 100% with what you said above. I remember back around 2008 to 2010, I was doing a lot of painting of WH40K stuff, and I eagerly signed up on a bunch of mini painting-related forums, thinking I'd have a ton of resources at my fingertips. And a decade later, I think at least half of them, if not more, no longer exist (including a goon-run one, IIRC, that was created by some people who posted regularly in the painting threads in Trad Games). And the rest of them I check very infrequently (and am usually reminded very quickly just why I don't look at those forums, because they're usually packed with grognards complaining about how a particular color isn't the correct shade for the armpit of a fictional sci-fi army trooper or something. And that's if you're lucky and don't get the "hurr hurr" heavy breathing ones that love to post pics of stuff that goes beyond the definition of NSFW, or the wehraboos who like to slap Nazi iconography on their future space tanks). We can substitute "miniature painting" for "wrestling" or whatever other topic you choose, and I'd guess that a lot of people would have a similar story about trying to find something that did whatever it is that the SA forums do for them, and with similar results.

I suspect a lot of it is just inertia and/or unwillingness to change on my part, but the SA forums seem to have a lot more going for them than most others, and like a lot of you I can't really picture myself wanting to post most anywhere else, and it'd be a real loss for a lot of us whenever they do shut down.

In summary,

Little Mac posted:

This poo poo sucks. gently caress Lowtax.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

where's the new site I gotta figure out whose posting identity to steal before they can sign up

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Wasn’t there an episode of Aeon Flux like that?

No, you're thinking of Repo! The Genetic Opera.

I hope beyond hope that we manage to stay here one way or another. Like a lot of other folks, this is really the only place on the Internet I feel at home - a discord room just wouldn't be the same.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Offsite plan:
Step 1) Charge $10 to join
Step 2) We'll figure the rest out later.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

make a forum for me to post on. i want at least 100 people there who all post and keep up with it. no compromises

I bought a domain called thenewangelfire.com a while back as kind of a joke with the intent of using it to make lovely Angelfire-style sites. If someone wants to use the domain/a subdomain to make a dumb little spot for us to talk about grappling, maybe we can use that. But we need those cool line breaks that were like barbed wire and animated saw blades and dripping blood and stuff. Also no compromises.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Been a long time lurker who really only posts for Rumble Roulette and very rarely in PPV GDTs.

I can/have adapted to Discord but I prefer the forums for being able to leisurely catch up on discussions I missed.

Plus Discord isn’t nearly as good for games as forums are—being able to read along with the various TEW threads over the years here has been a delight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Realistically, your choices are either a Discord that might be hard to follow at times and doesn't have the same kind of discussion, or a forum that dies within a month as they all do.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Man, I picked a weird 24 hours to come back

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If I started dating Lowtax, I would change my name to Uwe Boll. Problem solved.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

This is definitely the best community I’ve ever joined, and you folks have really helped me appreciate other people’s sensitivities online. Absolutely shell shocked about Lowtax, mainly because I never venture off the Island and didn’t know what all that mod fuss was about — just assumed it was typical forum drama.

Really hope someone can buy this place and keep it going. If not, see ya’ll in some other futuristic medium of communication like checks notes a chat room? That can’t be right.

Anyway, seriously thanks for helping me grow and making me laugh over the few years I’ve been here. Ya’ll deserve better.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Man, I picked a weird 24 hours to come back

Honestly "a weird 24 hours" would similarly describe any day this year, any of the last 8 days especially

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Honestly, I likely wouldn't be into wrestling if it wasn't for this forum. This forum helped me transfer over from WWE when I came back to LU, which took me to the indies, and then NJPW and AEW.

I don't really venture out beyond this forum, for the most part. There are a couple of threads that I read regularly, and I maintain the Drag Race thread over in TVIV, but if I'm going to miss one thing it will be FIGHT ISLAND.

:smith:

Hopefully there will be a transfer of ownership and that will be that.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

bradzilla posted:

If this is what kills SA, I'm out. Fragmented offsites are so loving sad. I have no idea what I'd even do on the internet without SA.

I'll have to find something...productive to do. Or just avoid Twitter less. Either is an unpleasant prospect.

This is the only place I talk about wrestling and comics, and none of the other options I've come across seem like adequate replacements.

Thanks to the forums for introducing me to NJPW and LU! And, uh, Chikara while it lasted.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Honestly "a weird 24 hours" would similarly describe any day this year, any of the last 8 days especially

Right? This week feels like a year and this year feels like a decade

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I am going to choose to believe that the modmin team will pull something off. I know I'm mostly just the guy that's an rear end in a top hat about LIJ, but I love all of you and this place and I don't want to consider the idea of losing it.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
don't forget about me after the site closes

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

I am going to choose to believe that the modmin team will pull something off. I know I'm mostly just the guy that's an rear end in a top hat about LIJ, but I love all of you and this place and I don't want to consider the idea of losing it.

I will miss popping for the order to pop for the Bushiroonie. I will also miss the forums community in general, but que sera sera.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MJeff posted:

I honestly feel the same. Outside of a name on paper lowtax has been the least important part of SA for years. If it's building something new so be it but it's not an off-site if the original exploded and most of the community moves to the new one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted:

If the site dies and none of us ever see each other I want you to spend the rest of your life knowing that I will never pop for the Bushiroonie

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The year is 2031. Rarity is the Scoopsgirl in Chief of the top Scoopshouse in the UK. While writing an article about how Sanada vs. Taichi IV sold out the Tokyo Dome, the Osaka Dome, Wembley Stadium and three different NFL stadiums in the US simultaneously and managed to outdo their previous 8-star trilogy in terms of workrate and storytelling, she hears a knock at her door. She goes to answer it and there's only a package. She opens the package and finds a balloon, a needle and a picture...of a man....spinning......

She opens the window and screams out into the dark, "NEEEEEEVEEEEEEEEEEEEER!"

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

MJeff posted:

Sanada vs. Taichi IV

I read that as "Sasha vs Taichi IV" and thought "wow, the 20s WERE really weird..."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted:

The year is 2031. Rarity is the Scoopsgirl in Chief of the top Scoopshouse in the UK. While writing an article about how Sanada vs. Taichi IV sold out the Tokyo Dome, the Osaka Dome, Wembley Stadium and three different NFL stadiums in the US simultaneously and managed to outdo their previous 8-star trilogy in terms of workrate and storytelling, she hears a knock at her door. She goes to answer it and there's only a package. She opens the package and finds a balloon, a needle and a picture...of a man....spinning......

She opens the window and screams out into the dark, "NEEEEEEVEEEEEEEEEEEEER!"

Please don't make me excited for things that will never happen :(

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The last time I was on a forum that imploded, it happened immediately after Kane returned at the end of a Raw

This time I'm on a forum that implodes, it happens immediately after Taichi is on the cover of Weekly Pro

I regret nothing

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Long time lurker, very infrequent poster. In fact the only time I post anywhere is to melt down about my sports teams in real time.

I really enjoyed the discussions here. Checking this forum on a whim a few years ago ended up with me discovering Omega/Okada I and getting a NJPW World subscription.

Just so you now, all of you have been Great, and the G in Great stands for Goto.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

MotU posted:

it’s worse than that, it’s v bad

why?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Just saw this thread, so I'll ultimately echo what I said in the AEW thread:

While I'm mostly a lurker on here, and have been since 2003, the Fight Island community has been one which I've loved posting with.

My A-1 hope is that enough of what "Something Awful" is can be transmitted to someone else for better ownership and upkeep.

Failing that, I look to the transition from NeoGAF to ResetEra.

I'm not sure how many people post both here and there, but as someone who lurk(s/ed) on both, how the heck did they keep that community engaged and together? Is there an opportunity to do similar here / with SA as a whole?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

marioinblack posted:

the G in Great stands for Goto.

:hmmyes:

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
This place was great while it lasted. Love you all.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I’m going to be really sad if SA dies. The fact that this is a site with pretty non-toxic communities for Wresting, comics and comedy is the main reason I stay here , because almost everywhere else on the internet sucks for discussing those sanely.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I doubt anything will happen. Lowtax will say it’s all false and that he can’t talk about it because lawyers, a bunch of goons who are posting in a frenzy right now will get themselves banned, and the forum will keep ticking along like it’s done for the last 20 years. Maybe I’m just cynical or have been here for too long to think anything is really going to change, I dunno

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

Over in CSpam they're talking about a forum that was started after Lowtax's last accusation (which I somehow heard nothing about). I've registered there pretty much sight unseen. No idea if it's actually any good. I'm only mentioning it here because if people migrate I think it would be cool for migration to occur to a single place rather than a fight island replacement and a cspam replacement and a batmans secret replacement, etc. Anyways that's breadnroses.net. This post should not be taken as a recommendation for that particular site since I don't even know if it is good. I'm just posting so the various different subgroups I look at have at least a chance of landing in the same place.

I have joined to also give it a shot. Thank you.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Right? This week feels like a year and this year feels like a decade

The PPJ drama happened SIX MONTHS AGO which seems impossible as I have aged 150 years since then and am now a skeleton at a computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeinthepie
Jul 4, 2007
I barely post and mostly lurk but I'd be sad to see this place gone. This might be a good alternative?

From the list of Good discords and off-sites in GBS:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929174#post505964811

Queen Combat posted:

http://breadnroses.net

It's been around since January or so, has an establish userbase, was created back during the big simultaneous c-spam and trans goon castoff by the taxman. Varied topics, from C-SPAM style politics, shitposting, queer stuff, furry stuff, games, electronic projects, lets plays, etc.

There's a paywall post-registration, so if you register and don't wanna pay just feel free to DM me here or on discord at queen_combat#7777 for approvals after you reg and we'll push it through, or pay tenbux for immediate access (I'll be up all day).

We've had an 800-person, six-month-long beta test that's gone successfully, it runs xenforo, you can ignore threads and subforums as well as people (completely silent ignoring as well), and has a good backend setup. Also lmao today's registrations have quickly reached parity with lowtax's patreon, so we're set up for the next year or so if you're wondering about funding at all (and that's just the people that have CHOSEN to pay).

Anyway, the big thing is to choose what you like. Not saying bnr is the end-all be-all. But if you're gay/leftist/furry/horny/comfy/classic/pepsi/tormp/angry, maybe give it a look. No invite code needed or any of that.

E: and also nobody is leasing a loving 2020 nissan or pies or any of that poo poo with the funds. nobody paid, all volunteer including the owners.