Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Fight Island/PSP as well as the CineD Horror Thread are two places that have generally productive and non-toxic discussions about things that have really toxic fanbases elsewhere on the internet. Those are the two parts of the forum I'd really miss if SA went down.
Oh, hi, me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know anything about anything. But I do know that the only proper way for a nickname to be generated is by someone who does not have the person being nicknamed's permission and have it take off on its own.

e: caveat: as long as it's not actually insulting. Bonus if it's meaningless but pisses the recipient off.

This is true. A nickname must be given. Otherwise you're just a loser giving yourself a nickname. It must be something one guy starts, you get kind of annoyed by, and the next thing you know everyone is calling you it. That's the natural way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think we do have a bit of a problem of "stereotyping" posters. I know I do sometimes. I see a certain "type" of post and say "Oh, X is one of those." That's not fair, its not reasonable, and it doesn't help the community. Its not worthwhile to see a poster as a "troll" or whatever because all you're doing is deciding you can read into their "true" purposes beyond their words. And none of us can do that. It just leads to miscommunication, resentment, and people yelling over each other.

I don't think that's a Fight Island problem so much as a "people" problem. But its something we can be more aware of as a community.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's a few basic ideas that we should just strive for.

- Be respectful, even if the other person isn't.
- Act in good faith and assume the other party is as well unless they prove they aren't.
- Debate, don't attack.
- Go after ideas, not posters.

That's not always easy. I fail on one or all of them frequently. But like we sometimes actively reject them in the name of a joke or :decorum: ideas, especially with serious and emotional subjects. And I don't think that really accomplishes anything except amuse the in group and potentially drive someone off or maybe even cause some harm.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

If we’re gonna create space for another bad faith poster like the Saudi Arabia transphobe to abuse good will and ruin threads again I’m noping the gently caress out of here. This forum was far too lenient for far too long on multiple posters that drove off actual members of the community. There are numerous posters that started watching wrestling in the past year and they weren’t run off so I’m not sure what problem we’re trying to solve here.

I think that's why I said "assume good faith until they prove otherwise." Obviously that's an arbitrary line but the point is, when a poster makes an argument we shouldn't assume its trolling. Now if they don't engage in good faith or keep repeating it and ignoring the counters or attempts to engage, then sure. They're a troll or worse. But like... it shouldn't be the default setting. And sometimes I think we do that, especially with certain trigger subjects.

I'm definitely not arguing for Gonzo. I've had to take extended breaks from the forum in no small part to him back when he was in the in crowd of the RAW thread days. The guy proved himself time and time again to be a poo poo.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 2, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think when Gumball says "they'll tell you they're racist" they mean more "they'll show you" than "they'll admit it."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the point I was trying to go for was less "give everyone unlimited chances and never call out their poo poo or the obvious patterns or the bad stuff they do or say first time" and more "responding to a post with 'you're a troll' doesn't actually accomplish anything." If they are that's what they want. If they're not you're dismissing them out of hand. If a third party isn't sure they might see you as the in group dick. So I try and make a good faith response/counter argument. If the poster doesn't give me one back, or doesn't apologize for the thing they said or explain it better, or escalates, or whatever. Then I call them out/write them off.

But I don't think that applies to a guy who had a long established pattern of bad bigoted behavior and then tried to wipe it clean by registering under a new name that was obviously him and neither apologizing nor hiding and assuming he could take advantage of some kind of loop hole for people forgetting his bad character. Whatever "benefit of the doubt" he had got burned a long time ago.

I only occasionally wander into QCS so I can't speak for that. I'm certainly not suggesting we all lobotomize ourselves in every new thread and start clean. poo poo you do and say is gonna follow you and helps shape people's opinions of you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really don't think the AEW thread isn't filled with lots of light and fun talk. Yeah, serious topics come up and when something happens it gets discussed but I think there's way more talk about how great Hangman is and who will be the new Horsemen and why Luther points to his head and other stuff.

Ultimately it probably comes down to what you yourself find enjoyable or distasteful. I'm more bothered by some of the bad behavior of wrestlers so I tend to find that stuff gets brushed over in the AEW thread. But if you're not affected by that stuff and you just want it to go away than the fact that it pops up once or twice a week is probably too much. I dunno.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For me its obvious some people are just trying to compartmentalize the bad stuff about wrestling from their entertainment. And like... I don't always love that but I respect it because we all do it somewhere and sometime. I've made a point to try and disengage with the AEW threads when I'm unable to do that with Jericho or whatever. It was obvious it was going nowhere and annoying people so I didn't want to become a nuisance. But it still comes up and I still engage. And its obvious I am a nuisance to some people. I don't know what to do about that because I'm not ashamed that I'm not able to ignore bad stuff. I can only really decide if I'm being unreasonable or annoying in the moment.

But I don't think it monopolizes the AEW threads (from me or others). It's not absent from them either. The problem is "how much is too much?" If I never posted in the AEW threads except to call Jericho a racist I'd understand why people would dislike me. But I think I engage with a lot more than that. I also think there's some people who have openly expressed that ANY talk of this kind of stuff is too much for them. And ultimately I'm really against the idea of cordoning the heavy issues off into their own chamber. That's when I find the place miserable, when issues important to some posters are said to belong in their place.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's definitely people who do express that sentiment. "If I could make one rule it would be ban this conversation" or "I wish you'd all shut up" or stuff like that. There's individual posters who have made an impression on me the same way I'm sure I've made an impression on them. Some who have even directly called me out. But I don't think its forum wide. There's been times I've been worried it was heading in that direction but I think it doesn't ever go that way because there's enough posters who push back.

I don't know. Truthfully I think this place has a healthy equilibrium of push back in both directions. There's posters who I respect a lot who disagree with me sometimes and make me question if I'm taking it too far. There's posters I think are on the wrong side of it. There's posters who inspire me to speak up more. I'm not always happy with the way things go and there's sometimes contentious issues. But the fact that we're here debating and discussing it even though we don't all agree is a good sign of the place working right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I don't think anyone finds it fun. Some people just think it matters more than others. And some people can't compartmentalize it as neatly as others.

Like I said, I've personally tried to restrain myself. I've made my case about Jericho. I can't stand to watch him anymore. I sometimes skip his segments on Dynamite. I only mention it in passing if I'm talking about the show. But I think the fundamental problem is he keeps doing new poo poo to talk about. And I think that's the problem. This place talks a lot about the bad poo poo in wrestling because a lot of bad poo poo in wrestling keeps coming up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was a time back around Revolution where AEW really did suck me and make me forget about all this and just love wrestling the way I used to love wrestling before I knew any of this poo poo. And I think good wrestling can still do that. And I don't think there's anything wrong with letting yourself enjoy wrestling as an escape.

But I think wrestling - and especially WWE - is such a constant nonstop cycle that even if those moments exist and happen and are enjoyed in full when Kofi has his run or Becky Lynch has her run or whenever that there's all the in between. And there's SO MUCH in between. 7 hours of TV a week from WWE alone and then all the news and the interviews calling fans garbage and the tweets and scandals. Its so much and it means those moments burn through and get replaced.

So like, I dunno. I got back to that other idea. We'd talk less about bad poo poo in wrestling if less bad poo poo happened in wrestling. The place definitely cares more about bad poo poo today than they did before. I care more about bad poo poo than I used to. I don't think that's a bad thing. But certainly its in many ways a sad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JOHN CENA posted:

you'd probably be able to enjoy things if you just got off twitter i think.

I actually don't even use it besides BB and occasionally sports updates.

I get nearly all my wresting info from right here.

And I do enjoy things, thank you. Wrestling is one of many hobbies which I think is why I'm ok being mad at wrestling. I find other ways to fill that space.