Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I'm almost entirely a lurker here, and when I have posted, I don't think people have even liked my posts? I love this place though, what's the next best place to talk about wrestling, The Board? gently caress.

I have experience setting up forums software, getting things configured right, doing CSS, and I have the free time and the desire to do the work, and I'll also front the necessary $20, so if you want me to set up an offsite forum, just in case that's useful or necessary, I will, but only if Jerusalem et al approve. If anyone with more credibility in this community wants to do it instead, that's cool and reasonable, I just don't have anything else to offer right now, and this plays into my very limited personal strengths. If this then goes on to be a thing I will hand the keys over to J-Ru or anyone else the community decides on. I know I'm not someone any of you know well, and if you don't want me to have that kind of position in this, that's completely reasonable, I just figured it couldn't hurt to make this offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

On a completely personal standpoint, I'm interested in a replacement for SA (or preferably a change of ownership of current SA) as a whole and not specifically just FIGHT ISLAND. I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be a good time to step back from moderating (this decision might be taken away from me sooner rather than later in any case) since it is starting to demand more of my time than I'm actually capable or comfortable of giving it, at least in the short term.

Trying to create a brand new forum just for FI right at the moment is probably premature, and runs the risk of fracturing a bunch of inter-connected communities. That isn't to say that people can't go ahead and do it if they're keen and have a lot of interest, of course, but I was thinking more in terms of making people aware of currently existing alternatives or even holding spaces like discord while waiting for something covering more of the traditional SA structure to get set-up.

I would imagine that any FI specific off-site forum would be dissolved in the case that a proper post-SA transition occurs. This would be more of a temporary way to make sure people can post in the way they're accustomed to in the meantime.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

In my opinion Discord is an excellent platform that is in no way a replacement for a forum.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Breaking my self imposed posting hiatus to say that those wanting a new forum will probably have to chip in to cover the costs. A license for Xenforo is $160 (+$55 a year for updates), and in order to set up a paywall, an additional $75 for that functionality (not counting the $49.95/yr update cost). So the startup cost just for the licenses would be $235 or so. That's not factoring in hosting or a custom theme, which would increase the cost.

I picked Xenforo since its the most popular forum software out there these days, and also one of the most affordable options with the best support/functionality.

I was looking at vBulletin, since it's the software SA is based on, their cloud service starts at $15/month: https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbulletin-cloud

Of course you could use myBB and host it on a $5/month DigitalOcean droplet, but that would be less like what goons are used to.

You could do it for free on ProBoards but that'd be pretty lame.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Yeah, I would avoid vBulletin like the plague these days. They are pretty much on their last legs (they've lost almost all of their market share to other premium providers due to numerous scandals and other situations). Their forum software right now could give Radium a run for its money in terms of code/optimization. Not to mention the usability of the software is awful beyond compare.

Well, that sucks. It would've made things more familiar for people. I kinda like how the forums aren't modern looking with tons of useless whitespace and poo poo.

We should just post on RSPW.

EDIT: We should also have an IRC channel where you have to use Microsoft Comic Chat.

EDIT2: Don't actually go to RSPW. That's a mistake.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Miching Mallecho posted:

Is there a discord list or something?

I like fight island. I love the AEW/NJPW/WWE live reaction threads and other sub forums I read too.

:smith:

https://goondiscordnetwork.com/