Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Breaking my self imposed posting hiatus to say that those wanting a new forum will probably have to chip in to cover the costs. A license for Xenforo is $160 (+$55 a year for updates), and in order to set up a paywall, an additional $75 for that functionality (not counting the $49.95/yr update cost). So the startup cost just for the licenses would be $235 or so. That's not factoring in hosting or a custom theme, which would increase the cost.

I picked Xenforo since its the most popular forum software out there these days, and also one of the most affordable options with the best support/functionality.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

El Generico posted:

I was looking at vBulletin, since it's the software SA is based on, their cloud service starts at $15/month: https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbulletin-cloud

Of course you could use myBB and host it on a $5/month DigitalOcean droplet, but that would be less like what goons are used to.

You could do it for free on ProBoards but that'd be pretty lame.

Yeah, I would avoid vBulletin like the plague these days. They are pretty much on their last legs (they've lost almost all of their market share to other premium providers due to numerous scandals and other situations). Their forum software right now could give Radium a run for its money in terms of code/optimization. Not to mention the usability of the software is awful beyond compare.