Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
In almost every instance of a forum shutting down because of management I've personally experienced, off-shoot forums are not very successful at all. You get about a tenth of the posters that were around before at best, and after that tapers off you end up with just a handful of small cliqs of friends and rarely any new posters.

The two best solutions seem to be Discord or linking our Twitter socials to keep up with people, maybe a Twitter List like the old #tWo used to have (And I think is still linked in the OP of the Social Media thread but severely out of date)

The big thing for a some people is going to be archiving old topics and there's handfulls of ways to do that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Also not as much goatse in this subforum, which I truly appreciate.
We have Vinceflex.jpg

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mob posted:

no offense but I don't recognize a few of you carpetbaggers so gently caress off out of my subforum
Yeah after talking earlier about how often a lot of off-shoots feel like cliques a lot of the people I've seen plugging the new website in FI are people I have almost never seen posting before :shrug:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Zombie Lemur posted:

The bible thing is like a variation on some edgelord bullshit a 14 year old would say. But it's a middle-aged dude saying it to his kid. The video was brutal too, I couldn't get through the entire thing. It was like abuser manipulation 101.

What the gently caress?

I don't post a ton, although that's changed a bit lately, but I'm 36 and I've been reading the forums in some capacity since highschool. Unless there's a way to carry on without Lowtax the site is dead.

I'll end up checking out Bread and Roses a little further, it seems alright.
Lowtax hasn't been around hardly at all since I've been around and things were just fine, it's just the matter of "Will Lowtax nuke everything so nobody is happy or hand over the keys"

The gross option is that he somehow gets a huge payout when someone buys Something Awful from him and just keeps being a lovely person. There's a reason why people don't hear about Moot from 4Chan anymore and it's because he sold it off and just got a job at Google and hasn't exposed himself as a lovely person.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Brut posted:

Yeah there definitely needs to be at least 1 MMA mod, for what it's worth I've generally felt that J-ru has been doing a great job being that 1 MMA mod, I don't go in to the wrestling threads at all thus have absolutely no idea what his involvement in them is in terms of posting, obviously he was taking reports from everywhere before Junpei came along.

For the same reasons I also have no idea how many mods the wrestling part of the forum requires, though just off the top of my head 5 sounds like too many, especially if the reasoning for it is "GBS has 5-6 mods", if this place is anywhere near as busy as GBS I just don't know anything at all about this website.
Most of Fight Island is wrestling threads already and probably where most of the reports come from :v: If there's not an MMA-centered mod I vote we strap Junpei down to a chair ask her politely to watch 100 hours of MMA.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Attacking people who don't understand or aren't in on the inside joke is really dumb y'all.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If there's ever new IKs/Mods I really don't know about Weird Twitter or gimmick-style posters becoming them. It's hard for me to take someone's judgement seriously who posts pee pee poo poo 90% of the time and then makes joke probation posts on an otherwise serious subforum with so much serious poo poo constantly happening in the wrestling bubble.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

yea ok posted:

There's no easy way to ask a question like this but I'd like to do it anyways. Has the idea been thrown around, or is it possible to replace Junpei Hyde as moderator with CJ2 or another vetted poster? This has nothing to do with her qualities as a poster. Similar to CJ2 I enjoy her posting whenever I see it, but unlike CJ2 I think she's done a very poor job of moderator. My reasoning is essentially that until the issues earlier this year with everyone jacking off to every wrestler, she was basically absent, except to make Horny Jokes. Whatever, mods don't have to be super active posters necessarily, but during the discussions (which I felt were productive for this forum and the moderation of them) she said many times she'd keep better tabs, be more involved. Until the mafia game, which has been fun as a spectator but hardly indicative of a normal thread here, she was essentially a ghost again.

While barely posting in the forum you mod isn't like a disqualification, I also think her moderation choices have been really rotten. Nearly every time the buttons have been used, the community pushed back on the decision. Examples: the MRT/WSAE stuff from a couple of weeks ago, this whole ordeal, and some judgment lapses that don't apply to this subforum specifically. I don't fault anyone for making mistakes. I just think after so long, when you're still having to say, you know... "gah I really goofed it. I need to do better" and you hear that ten different times, I begin to lose trust in their mod capabilities. This is all of course just my personal opinion. I don't have any ill will towards her as a human being or as a fellow poster. Observations from a stinker.
I love Junpei and J-Ru to death and they're only guilty of not being Always Online. I'm just projecting that the reasons their moderation has been in question recently is because they both have lives outside of SA and just skim through the forums and react when there's a bunch of reports on a particular thread and read maybe the last page or two to catch up and act based on what they're seeing in that context.

There's bad faith posters on SA but there's probably a lot more bad faith reports which muddy the waters. I know I'm guilty of and the subject to both. I have the chronic online syndrome too but when I come back 10 hours later to a thread with 300 new posts there's no way I'm going to read all that poo poo, and busier people like J-Ru and Junpei are probably coming back to 2k+ new posts in a thread.

General forum conduct should be don't be an rear end in a top hat but people hold grudges here for years and once they learn how lenient a mod might be they just skirt the edge constantly until they run someone off the forums

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

CJ2 is a great moral compass, willing to own up to their mistakes and explain why a probation happened and would make a great mod IMO, but beyond that what does PSP need? We've already proven that we can't self-moderate. We've had both lax moderation that lets really awful poo poo happen far too long and strict moderation that gives sixers without warning or explanations

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

JOHN CENA posted:

i mean that just makes a stronger case for making cj2 a full on moderator but that is Just My Opinion.
I'll definitely admit that I wasn't a big fan of CJ2 before they became an IK but they're doing such a good job with what they've got that CJ2 should be bumped up to a regular mod.

Likewise with Shaman, I used to abhor his posts for years but he's fighting his rear end off for FI.

This isn't a sleight on J-Ru or Junpei, but moderating forums isn't a job and if you've got other obligations you should just move on. If you're being called out for being inadequate, don't take it personally, this is a website that generates thousands of dollars in revenue and you don't get paid for moderating, live your own life. Moderation is a hobby, not a career.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mods shouldn't be expected to be Always Online when things go out of control like twice a month for two hours, wanting a mod that's active all day is one thing, trying to put the ones down who can't be is a lovely thing to do. Like what are they gonna do, quit their day jobs to babysit us for a dead comedy internet forum?

yea ok posted:

I'm going to assume there's a longer probe waiting, that would make sense to me. If not then that's very sad. I don't hate politics talk but I certainly loving hate it on this website lol.
There's people on SA that absolutely cannot stop themselves and CSPAM escapees are the usual suspects with pages long probe sheets and at minimum they should be forced to constantly pay for new accounts as an idiot tax and banned on site in best case scenarios

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Just summarizing, I think what people are asking for are harsher probation for people who are already have a history of being out of line and quicker on the button for discussions that are becoming train wrecks. As a community we were super harsh on EMF who turned the corner and is a good poster now but just being involved in the community doesn't necessarily mean that it's okay to let other people slide who are openly antagonistic for no reason. And I get it, sometimes people are having a bad day. A sixer won't be the worst thing to jump the gun on when you see things going bad, but this forum has already chased off decent posters who are just enthusiastic about what they like.

Moderation team are people too, don't be so harsh when on them either. Constructive criticism isn't "all our mods are useless"

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 28, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If you're not going to be constructive, gently caress off. The rest of us don't want to see Us vs Them nonsense grudges over various subforums or cliques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mekchu posted:

I dont read the wrestling threads but if you need an IK in a pinch feel free to PM me ot hit me on any of the discords you see me on.
Can this be redeemed now to give this whole topic a sixer because it's beyond the scope of giving forum feedback and people are just bickering.

Yeah, bad posters are bad and that should be the end of that, I didn't need the social media thread derail to spill over again