Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I genuinely don't have a good answer. As much as I love this community and want to keep it together, that might not be possible in the current circumstances, and I've yet to see a good replacement for the message board format that doesn't completely splinter people off.

That said, the least we can do is give whatever contacts we're comfortable with to hold together friendships that we built up, so you can catch me on the Discord and Twitter at https://www.twitter.com/LordBenne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SA Forums Poster posted:

Is there a way to sign up for bnr without $10?

Looks like they waived the entrance fee for now

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ripping off people's Patreon money to buy overpriced cookies is definitely a goon thing to do, at least he's staying on brand

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Clearly the mod should be chosen by which one has the best story, an award-winning TV show told me so

And who has a better story ... than Cavauro The Broken

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Every time there's a dispute the Fight Island General Manager should make the mods fight in a tag team match playa

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I can't believe J-Ru is loving dead

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nearly every Speaking Out story was about man-on-woman or man-on-girl abuse that has largely been treated with the proper care and sensitivity, so the idea that Dream -- the only or at least most high-profile man-on-boy abuse story to come out so far -- is somehow fair play for cheap jokes feels very gross and borderline homophobic to me.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jerusalem posted:

Orton got rightly mocked when it came out that he had been creeping on a 15-year-old girl (and it blows my mind that this didn't become a bigger story), and Jerry Lawler has been lambasted for years for the claims that he had sex with a minor, so I don't think this about being homophobic at all but pointing out the absurdity (and registering disgust) of WWE ignoring these stories, as well as making the perpetrators the target of the mockery (and absolutely NOT the victims). Again though, people have commented that they find the jokes offputting and others have been pretty good about agreeing that it's time to move on from them, and that's a good thing.

You can point out that absurdity without making the same tired "big with teens" cracks every time the ratings come out. And it's not like the Lawler jokes were groundbreaking comedy either.

I dunno, it just feels like a very dated style of ironyposting that doesn't have a place in 2020. And maybe calling it homophobic is a stretch, but I again reiterate that nobody is making these same kind of jokes about, say, Matt Riddle and Candy Cartwright. Singling out Dream still feels weird and loaded to me.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The EMF thing does make me wonder about our treatment of new posters -- like when EMF first started posting, we all just blew them off as another insane Vincel and never gave them the time of day until they forced our hand. (For the record I'm 100% guilty of doing this and want to apologize to EMF, you're actually cool and good in my book :)

That kind of reaction can be pretty intimidating to anyone who genuinely wants to get into pro wrestling, starts with WWE because that's the biggest name and the only game in town for 20 years, and when they start posting positive or even neutral opinions about the shows, get flooded with posts talking about cops and covering up child rape and and obscure in-jokes and "watch NJPW," and like, that's a ton of information overload all at once, and why would anyone brand new to wrestling even know what the gently caress NJPW is?

I get the intentions behind this, such as conveying "WWE is the industry leader and worth knowing for that reason, but it has a rotten history and isn't fully representative of pro wrestling today," which is important for new people to know for various reasons, like just to know what they're getting into and letting them know the alternatives available. But the way posters pile on kinda just feels like white noise that doesn't help anyone and potentially scares people off being part of the community.

I don't have a good answer to any of this, but it's definitely something I've observed over the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's basically the same problem I've pointed out several times now, that bad-faith posters are allowed to linger and fester, arguments/derails that should've been nipped in the bud keep escalating instead, and by the time the mods finally show up it's that Donald Glover gif all over again.

I don't claim to have a good solution, but this is a repeated, noticeable problem that keeps driving away good posters and making the community incrementally worse.