Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Venomous posted:

Casual reminder that there's already a discord! https://discord.gg/w9pwfu

Registered!

Never used discord before. It's loving chaos. I take it all the categories down the left hand side are the equivalent of individuals threads here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I definitely prefer to have a forum too. I'll probably only use the discord if everything goes to hell. Right now I'm happy to continue posting here but won't be offering any further monetary support to the site until (hopefully) the leadership changes

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Brut posted:

It's just IRC that supports embeds. A discord server is an IRC server, the userlist is on the right, just like in your typical IRC client and is usually arranged in order of server powers, just like IRC, channels start with a # and don't loving support spaces just like IRC. Aside from the embeds, the other benefit over IRC is that everything is logged server-side and is available for ever, regardless of whether or not you were in the channel when it was posted, as long as you currently have permission to be there, so you can look at a discord channel and scroll all the way up to the beginning and read everything, or search for what you need with a fairly robust search function that lets you filter by user/channel/date range etc.

You can also do poo poo like "connect" your other accounts to your Discord account such that it enables people clicking on your Discord profile and seeing your Twitch/Twitter/XBL/PSN/Steam name and such, this also allows you to automatically be granted permission to be in certain servers and/or channels based on subscribing (paying money) to a Twitch channel, which is a pretty common usage, over 90% of the Discord servers I'm in are linked to Twitch channels.

Until today I've been avoiding joining the various discord servers that were posted here as I believed people were primarily going there to avoid being subject to the SA rules (aka, to be lovely people), but obviously the situation is now changed so I'm gonna pop in to the one(s?) posted recently.

Feel free to reach out to me on any platform if you have any other kind of questions in terms of "how the gently caress does Discord work" or whatever, it's the least I can contribute.

I like forums, this loving sucks.

I think I get it. It's been so long since I used IRC. I take it not everybody can just make a channel whenever they feel like it?