Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Whatever replacement forum we end up with needs the $10 paywall. Maybe not right away but after enough guns get a chance to try there. I'm convinced that's a huge part of what's kept SA a great community online. I joined the discord mostly so I'll know where to go of this shuts down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Over in CSpam they're talking about a forum that was started after Lowtax's last accusation (which I somehow heard nothing about). I've registered there pretty much sight unseen. No idea if it's actually any good. I'm only mentioning it here because if people migrate I think it would be cool for migration to occur to a single place rather than a fight island replacement and a cspam replacement and a batmans secret replacement, etc. Anyways that's breadnroses.net. This post should not be taken as a recommendation for that particular site since I don't even know if it is good. I'm just posting so the various different subgroups I look at have at least a chance of landing in the same place.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

MotU posted:

its not good, fam

Well, I dunno what else to do then. Maybe my posting will make it good. That will be difficult since my posting is bad, but I'll do what I can.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Bread & Roses seems really chill. The wrestling threads in the Sports & Wrasslin' sub seem quiet but there's a good way to change that: Just Post

Yeah, unless you're somehow on the fence about this being a lot of hideous abusive behaviour I don't think you'd need to. It's horrid & you just hope she has some way out of that hell

When I first saw the link to BnR there were like 650 members. As of this post there are 2,200. More and more people are bailing.

Also I think the more people who sign up at BnR (you can sign up for free and without an invite) the stronger the mods negotiating position is. The lower the value of SA if it comes to a sale, the less money that has to go to dude. I'd really like to stay here but I'm already acclimating over there.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 24, 2020

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Rarity posted:

The ideals behind BnR seem pretty decent but the site creators have always been super pushy about promoting it and it's kind of a turn-off.

In fairness if we were able to get our forum for wrestling our community would probably be happy there given the general political vibes here, it's just we'd be less likely to attract new people and for those of us who post in multiple forums that might get fragmented. Like, it's good to have as a backup option if nothing else works out but I think we're better off trying to move us a whole with the rest of the site.

I'd never heard of it until this stuff with Lowtax came out.

How big is the active SA userbase anyways? I know it's 200k total users but what percentage of those are lapsed and not even posting anymore? Once an offsite hits a critical mass of users, it kind of becomes THE offsite doesn't it? And B+R is up to 5k members and seems pretty chill from what I'm seeing. The only downside I am seeing so far is that the userbase is still too small to support large sub communities. There's more than enough people there for a vibrant left wing politics discussion. There are two pro wresting threads - one for wrestling in general and one for AEW. So unless and until there's more migration (or comrades in the political discussion decide they like wrestling, which seems less likely) it won't be a sufficient Fight Island replacement. For that reason I do hope the modmins are able to wrest control of SA from Lowtax. If they aren't though, it seems like a perfectly good backup and it's 100% free so.

Gumball Gumption posted:

That seems like an uncharitable description of how B&R was formed. Like, at the least it sets itself apart as being one of the few off-sites formed because SA was too racist and lovely instead of not racist enough. I get the mods concern about B&R but uncharitable explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sticking around for now, but even before all this drama there was other stuff going on in my life (good, creative, challenging and very welcome stuff!) that were gonna necessitate me at best taking a backwards step as a mod for a few weeks, and at worst having to drop being a mod entirely. I've brought it up very briefly in the mod forum but acknowledged it's a very low priority thing given all the poo poo currently going on in the forums, so until things settle down a bit I plan to just continue modding here as best I can.

I remember when I first signed up, being mad that I lurked for a year and would never have a 2003 regdate and everybody would ALWAYS look at me as a newbie with my pathetically recent 2004 regdate :lol:

I remember when the eye rolling 2004 emoji was a very common refrain around here. I registered in Oct 2003 but forgot about it until 2004. So I was an 04 in reality, but never got that worthless react.