Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

So, with the forums melting down and everyone getting very concerned about the longevity of SA as a whole it's a good time to talk about where else on the internet is not poo poo to talk about and grow as photographers.

I've really enjoyed posting with everyone here, growing as a photographer, watching other posters grow, and taking in a lot of amazing photos from some really talented photographers. To that end I've created a discord at the very least as an interim placeholder for the community should everything go pear shaped: https://discord.gg/98XxqMB

But, more to the thread title, where else does everyone post that isn't as terrible as the facebook group your mother posts her phone photos of the moon to?

Megabound fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The Dorkroom is honestly the best photography resource I've found except for some very specific niche stuff.

Reddit is terrible. r/Photography is all noise, no signal. I was a fairly frequent poster on r/Analog but every post is either people posting lovely scans of their first ever roll or asking one of the same three or four questions over and over.

Most of the good stuff I've found is on Facebook but that's the more specific groups that are focused on one thing.

Soviet Cameras and Lenses

Pentaxians (not great for general photo stuff but pretty good if you want to talk about Pentax gear specifically). just get used to rolling your eyes when someone posts 'So they say Pentax can't do sports!' then posts the shittiest action photos you've ever seen.

Film Camera GAS Factory

Vot Eto Kadr

Film Photographers International

Vintage Camera Repair

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I like FredMiranda.com a lot. There are lots of gear nerds and dumb fights there on occasion, but also a good collection of solid photographers with a lot of knowledge and willingness to share.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Stickied. Good idea.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I like FredMiranda.com a lot. There are lots of gear nerds and dumb fights there on occasion, but also a good collection of solid photographers with a lot of knowledge and willingness to share.

Seconding this.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The ultimate nerd macro refuge is photomacrography.net

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/

I don't post there that often but it's the macro/micro to the max.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Helen Highwater posted:

The Dorkroom is honestly the best photography resource I've found except for some very specific niche stuff.

Same here. Everything else is plain old internet-awful.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
There isn’t anywhere as good as the Dorkroom :(

This community has some of the best photographers on the web if what you want isn’t the same endless saturated influencer poo poo.

Give me medium format portraits of plastic chairs any day of the week and I’m happy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's dead as gently caress because no one uses flickr as a social media anything anymore, but there is an SA group:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/36521967830@N01/

At least a way to find other goons with cameras.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Is there a Dorkroom Flickr group? It seems most of the regulars have congregated there for photo-sharing anyways, so... it might be a start.
e: beaten and answered, thank you!
e2: A dedicated Dorkroom group might be nice, but SA's probably empty enough that few if any other people are left.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 25, 2020

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Megabound posted:

So, with the forums melting down and everyone getting very concerned about the longevity of SA as a whole it's a good time to talk about where else on the internet is not poo poo to talk about and grow as photographers.

I've really enjoyed posting with everyone here, growing as a photographer, watching other posters grow, and taking in a lot of amazing photos from some really talented photographers. To that end I've created a discord at the very least as an interim placeholder for the community should everything go pear shaped: https://discord.gg/98XxqMB

But, more to the thread title, where else does everyone post that isn't as terrible as the facebook group your mother posts her phone photos of the moon to?

I just now looked into the backstory... loving yikes.

As far as discussion goes I do like Discord for such a thing (I'll join up here in a bit). Outside of that... I've not been thrilled with the like of FB groups, Reddit, etc. So outside of a chat server I can't really offer any input there.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Nigel Tufnel posted:

There isn’t anywhere as good as the Dorkroom :(

This community has some of the best photographers on the web if what you want isn’t the same endless saturated influencer poo poo.

Give me medium format portraits of plastic chairs any day of the week and I’m happy.

Fuckin' seriously. If there's anything I've appreciated about this sub-forum is that people do actually give a poo poo about what they share and want to talk about it. This is far from the typical FB photo group circle jerks I've ran into.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ReverendHammer posted:

Fuckin' seriously. If there's anything I've appreciated about this sub-forum is that people do actually give a poo poo about what they share and want to talk about it. This is far from the typical FB photo group circle jerks I've ran into.

I tried to get into naturephotographers.network and didn't make it through the trial, there's no serious feedback so everyone only gets their bad habits reinforced. This subforum is a gem.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Yond Cassius posted:

Is there a Dorkroom Flickr group? It seems most of the regulars have congregated there for photo-sharing anyways, so... it might be a start.
e: beaten and answered, thank you!
e2: A dedicated Dorkroom group might be nice, but SA's probably empty enough that few if any other people are left.

Yup, there’s a dorkroom flickr group. Pretty quiet though.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

President Beep posted:

Yup, there’s a dorkroom flickr group. Pretty quiet though.

Perhaps it wouldn't be if a link were provided?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Conveniently it's named dorkroom and flickr's search function works!

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1349146@N24/

Definitely better content than the something awful one.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

XBenedict posted:

Perhaps it wouldn't be if a link were provided?

Phoneposting got in the way. :(

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

In typical goon fashion, I was already in it. I guess that says how much I pay attention the Flickr anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

flickr is slowly getting better, the quality of the explore page has gone up a lot the past couple months because they fixed up the algorithm. I've found some cool stuff lately.

Group invite spam is still an issue but apparently flickr is afraid to do anything about it because half the userbase loves it, the other half hates it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

flickr is slowly getting better, the quality of the explore page has gone up a lot the past couple months because they fixed up the algorithm. I've found some cool stuff lately.

Group invite spam is still an issue but apparently flickr is afraid to do anything about it because half the userbase loves it, the other half hates it.

Flickr is really good at one thing: Looking up photos by camera body and/or lens.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

xzzy posted:

The discussions haven't moved in forever, but I bet we could just port over some of our favorite threads and keep going from there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In other news, it sounds like the biggest exodus destination is https://breadnroses.net/ for a more classic "forum" type interface.

Not sure how access approval works, it hits you with a :10bux: paywall but allegedly if you register and wait you'll get approved for free at some point.

But you're not allowed to talk about landlords? I don't get it either.

I don't see any dorkroom stuff yet but spreading the link can't hurt.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

In other news, it sounds like the biggest exodus destination is https://breadnroses.net/ for a more classic "forum" type interface.

Not sure how access approval works, it hits you with a :10bux: paywall but allegedly if you register and wait you'll get approved for free at some point.

It's the leftest of the left. So left that they would "rather have wife-beaters than landlords" in their community. One of their rules states: " Do not advocate for obvious bad poo poo like landlords/cops/capitalism/etc. This is a leftist space."

Thankfully things are looking up for us per the latest announcement.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

on the other hand, gently caress landlords

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

Agreed, op.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

and cops and capitalism

larper
Apr 9, 2019

xzzy posted:

where does the $10 go

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Joined the discord. I’m still shooting even though I said awhile ago I wasn’t. I still got GAS. And I’m saddened to think the forums might/are/whatever disappearing. So many good places here to discuss my favorite things.

Also /r/photography is a plague.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Joined the discord. I’m still shooting even though I said awhile ago I wasn’t. I still got GAS. And I’m saddened to think the forums might/are/whatever disappearing. So many good places here to discuss my favorite things.

Also /r/photography is a plague.

Same with r/Analog, which is kind of sad considering Reddit is an open space that allows for so many people to be active. Maybe that's the double edged sword effect. It's just a bunch of influencer-type tryhard photo bros trying to gain Instagram followers by posting mediocre no effort nudes of girls standing in a kitchen or back yard, or as someone else mentioned, first time film shots from non-photographers with (insert current trendy 35mm camera with expired film stock because trends).

Maybe I'm just cynical, but there really is nowhere near as cool as this place for photo discussion without (for the most part) pretentious asshattery.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well there's also the issue where anyone that says something the hive mind has not agreed upon gets buried with downvotes, so it turns into a huge circle jerking echo chamber. Not a great environment to develop any artistic skills!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

xzzy posted:

Well there's also the issue where anyone that says something the hive mind has not agreed upon gets buried with downvotes, so it turns into a huge circle jerking echo chamber. Not a great environment to develop any artistic skills!

Get the D3100! (Whatever the latest entry level Nikon is) It’s the camera I have and I haven’t bothered to read what you asked for, because you should have the same entry level camera as me because I couldn’t possibly be wrong, and no one is allowed to have gear I can’t afford because I’m 14 and my parents bought me the cheapest DSLR they could find because they figured they could use it for holidays if I got bored with it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Man, I remember having a legitimate issue with [camera], so I went to the DPReview forum to ask for help as they seemed to be the most active forum. I must have jumped through a thousand hoops to verify that the issue was not user error, but it made no difference, people were still claiming that [camera] is perfect. The discussion got so heated that the moderators had to step in and lock the thread.

I think that is the part I like most about SA. If things do spiral out of control, the first line of defense is to probate the jerk, rather than napalm the thread which not only stops the jerk but also stops the constructive discussion.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It helps that the community here is small enough that you kinda know almost everyone. Web 1.0 was better dammit! :bahgawd:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

It helps that the community here is small enough that you kinda know almost everyone. Web 1.0 was better dammit! :bahgawd:

This is exactly it. I do my photo posting here because no one gets their feelings hurt. The fanboi nonsense is kept to a minimum (in most cases)., and because of this you get more legitimate real user reviews of equipment.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Is there any halfway decent photography forums that still get a good chunk of traffic? Dorkroom is obviously great, but traffic here is a fraction of what it used to be ~10 years ago. The other sites I've historically visited are Photography-On-The-Net and FredMiranda. The former seems way down in traffic and content quality and the later still seems fairly healthy, but is more geared towards people shooting much higher end equipment than I'm interested in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you shoot Sony there is a legendary https://www.dyxum.com/

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Is it just me or are the Fred Miranda forums really weird? One thread per photo is an odd, siloed setup and there doesn't seem to be any critical feedback. Take this thread. No one says, mate - your photos are overprocessed to gently caress and back. But they do have a weird anti-BLM nudge nudge wink wink discussion below the pics???

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Is it just me or are the Fred Miranda forums really weird? One thread per photo is an odd, siloed setup and there doesn't seem to be any critical feedback. Take this thread. No one says, mate - your photos are overprocessed to gently caress and back. But they do have a weird anti-BLM nudge nudge wink wink discussion below the pics???

When I think of FredMiranda I pretty much envision a forum full of 50+ white dudes with goatees and photo vests. I'm mostly going there for the classifieds and equipment talk. The photo boards are always pretty mixed at best, but occasionally something cool gets posted.

The linked thread is a special kind of terrible though. I'm not sure if it's an a rule to not critique photos posted outside of their critiques forum or just established culture, but it's pretty much all "great shot!" crap.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Nigel Tufnel posted:

jesus loving christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://www.naturephotographers.network/ is a place that exists and gets decent traffic, but most everyone in there are old folks patting each other on the back for mediocre shots. There are one or two people in there that give technical commentary, but it's not really critique. It's all photoshop advice.

I did see a few good wildlife/landscape photos when I was previewing the place so there are some knowledgeable people in there, but I think the signal to noise is too bad to justify the subscription.